Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I am trying to locate and test all main fuses I have no power once I turn my key on no lights no instrument or radio just dead and the battery is fully charged

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
imported post

There are 2 'dogbone' fuses in the system. One beside the battery (right side) if memory serves me correct-usually has a red plastic cover and the other is under the seat with a black cover. Check the red( positive) first-system does strange things if that is blown.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Also next to the fuse box under left side cover is relay box..If your fuses look okay, check out #3 relay, it powers a lot of things on these bikes....

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

delyone wrote:
I am trying to locate and test all main fuses I have no power once I turn my key on no lights no instrument or radio just dead and the battery is fully charged
For power to/through the key switch, you'll be looking for a 30A fuse that'smounted to the starter relay.

Relay "A" is located just forward of the battery, and the fuse is under the rubber cover for that relay. You can find the relay by following the large-dark wire connected to the positive battery terminal.

If you have a volt meter and wish to confirm that this fuse is bad before inspecting it, you can:

1) Measure the voltage at the alternator's output post (should be 12V with the bike off, this confirms that the 55A dogbone is good) -- You shuold also have voltage on quite a few of the fuses in your fuseblock (Horn/turn/stop, head, tail/meter/position, airpump, etc)

2) Measure voltage at the "Back-up Fuse" (5A in the relay box) this should be dead, showing that it's source (this 30A fuse) is suspect.

If you fail to find voltage in "A)" above, you could be looking at a loose or damaged battery connection.

I see a lot of these 30A fuse failures for the next few months as folks "charge" or "jump" their bikes, This is one of the fuses that is often inadvertantly popped during that process, and the 5A "Backup" fuse is also a quite popular failure from the same causes, but does not fit the symptoms you describe

-Good luck-

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
imported post

Delyone,

This might sound crazy, but just last week my bike did the same thing. I cut key of, went to restart,nothing. I checked all the fuses, tried jumping it and it would start. Was just about to give up and someone suggested checking connections to battery. BINGO. I tightened the positive cable and she lit up like a Christmas tree!! I hope that would solve your problem. I was very happy because I had just had alternator rebuilt, and battery was only 6 months old. Let me know what you find!!

Wingrider59

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Ok This is what I have I went to the relay box I changed the first three relays far right the lower black the blue and the black on top of that it lit up and I went to jump it off and it went dead again

·
Premium Member
274 Posts
imported post

welcome to the forum from ma. look for bad frame ground.had a problem like that, was neg cable to frame was rusty.good luck

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Most of your grounds will be on the right side above the oil dipstick... you can reach a minor one with the side dover off, and the main ground would be above that (requires removal of the right inner fairing).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.