Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

just bought an 84 asp, charged the new battery, blew the main fuse. any suggestions??? i have juice, selanoid? starter? bypass the fuse but no click when i push the start button?

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Not a lot of info to go on there, but the basics would be to pull all the fuses (except main one) and turn the ignition on. If the main fuse doesn't blow then one of the other fused circuits is to blame. Put in the fuses one at a time until you get a blow and then you will know where to look further.

Other questions you need to ask, like was the bike running before you bought it? Does the main fuse only blow when you press the starter button (if so, dodgy starter or shorted feed wire to the solenoid). Try running a heavy wire direct from the battery to the starter terminal (just tip the wire to the terminal for a second) and see if the starter works.

Like I said, you didn't give a lot of info and I could go on until I run out of space in the message box. Try the suggestions above and get back to us later.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
imported post

Did the fuse blow when you;

a. connected the battery?
b. turned on the ignition?
c. hit the sterter button?
d. or when you turned something else on...

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

This sounds like a problem I just fixed. I had power to everything but the starter. My problem was the solenoid. Rap it with a small hammer or something and see if that fixes it. If it keeps doing the same problem. You'll have to replace it. There is a place one wire here and one wire there test but it hard to explain it.

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
imported post

My main fuse nemisis was my cigarette lighter. Bought the wrong lighter and when I plugged it in....pop goes the fuse. If your daring.....replace the fuse with light gage speaker wire. It will hold out better than a fuse, but will still burn out if it is a serious short. I know guys that have done this to trouble shoot, including myself, but I advise caution, cause I don't want to be reponsible for burning up your bike.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

Sometimes if the main fuse screws are loose this causes problems. Seen it on a couple of old neglected Wings. Always worth checking the connections on the main fuse.

·
Senior Guru
2,234 Posts
imported post

Idjit9, it would be nice to get some feedback on the suggestions I've given you already on the Backyard Built board. Electrical problems are definately a process of elimination and trial and error troubleshooting. We can spend a lot of time guessing but you'll never get the problem solved by just asking questions. Go out and try some of the things we've suggested, let us know what you've triedand we'll try to help you in a step by step way.

Good luck,

Vic

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.