Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Just a note to all:

When checking out all the normal stuff as most of us do, be SURE to check your valve stems for cracks. To alot of people this is something that gets overlooked because we tent to think that the stems last the lengh of the tire.(NOT SO)

While rebuilding my shocks I was doing some well needed cleaning on those areas that you can't get to with the bags on and started cleaning the rear wheel and noticed that the stem was cracked almost half way around.With the tires only having a little over 2k on them I hadn't started checking them yet.So, I get to take the wheel off and install a new stem.

With all that said, be sure to check those valve stems on a regular basis.

Now let's go ride.

(As soon as I figure out where All of those extra parts go):?:D

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
imported post

That's nothin. I was checking air pressure on the rear, and I pulled it to the side a little to put the gauge on it, and the sorry F&%$er came off in my hand. It was like the air coming out of me, or one those drama movies where the guy is looking up as the camera pans away from him, NNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i just put on my rear tire 2500 miles ago and just got home one day and the valve stem broke off at the instant i put the kick stand down i couldnt breathe almost gave me a pannic attack

also you dont have to pull the wheel off use a few adjustable c clamps and pinch the tire off the bead and you can reach the valve stem just fine, remove it dont drop the inside piece in the tire or you screwed, then take an old metal valve stem cap and drill a hole in it attach a small chain or piece of small cable or wire, soap up the valve stem feed the wire through the hole with the new valve stem attached to the cap and use needle nose pliers and pull untill it pops through you dont even have to pull the bags just put it on the center stand i ordered a metal valve stem that is at a 90 degree that has a jam nut i will replace the rear one with this style this winter, because if you need some air the standard 12 volt air compressor hose end wont plug in with out hitting the rotor, so needless to say you dont have to pull the wheel off....

glad to help

big a

·
Premium Member
2,013 Posts
imported post

new tire, new valve stem. My guy gives me the valve stem for the business of changing my tires. New tire, new valve stem. nuff said

·
Premium Member
51 Posts
imported post

:D I will not use a rubber valve stem. All mine are stainless steel that way i dont have to worry about cracking . spend tha money and make it safe

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Mine are aluminum and polished real nice looking. :clapper:

·
Premium Member
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

I still have mine scattered all over the shop waiting for new boots and bushings for the shocks. I will go ahead and take the wheel off that way I can clean and grease the splines. I was thinking of puting steel stems on.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Glare

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.