Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys...

I'm new to the Goldwing life. But I would like to know what the maintence internals are on the 1983 GL1100 Interstate?

Oil/Filter Change, Antifreeze change, Rear gear lube, cam belts, etc...

Please help... I just don't want to blow up my first Goldwing from not taking care of it...:doh:

It's currently got 65K on the clock... I just bought it 2 days ago... and I love it!:cooler:

I want to know all the juicy bits that I have to take care of!

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

Mopar1973man wrote:
I want to know all the juicy bits that I have to take care of!

Hey Mopar1973man :leprechaun: Plenty of T.L.C.

:weightlifter::18red::weightlifter:

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Hi Mopar1973manand welcome to the forum. If you don't know when the belts were done, you might want to get them done asap. Then change them every few years as Honda don't have a suggested interval. I do my oil and filter every 3000 miles but you can leave it a bit longer, plugs I do around 5000 and air filter at the same time. If the service history is unknown, give it a good full service now and enjoy it for the rest of the summer. :waving:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

FitzAl wrote:
Hi Mopar1973manand welcome to the forum. If you don't know when the belts were done, you might want to get them done asap. Then change them every few years as Honda don't have a suggested interval. I do my oil and filter every 3000 miles but you can leave it a bit longer, plugs I do around 5000 and air filter at the same time. If the service history is unknown, give it a good full service now and enjoy it for the rest of the summer. :waving:
Amen to that FitzAl, saves risk of troubles from the outset, mine has had a serious going over, as the previous owner had neglected service intervals badly.

Pete

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'm a little more lax, plugs ought to be able to go 20,000 or two-three years with electronic ignition. I like 4000mi on oil changes if that occurs within three months, three thousand or once every six months if the machine isn't getting much use. Rear gear lube drain and refill annually but check often, at least every couple weeks until you get a handle on how it holds up. Antifreeze, can last a couple years if it stays clean.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Mopar1973man! :waving:

I also have an 83 GL1100. Mine is the Aspencade model but all the services are the same.

These guys have already covered most everything. The only thing I should add is that the manual says (and everyone on the forum agrees I think) to change the brake fluid every two years. If you don't know when it was last done, you should do it now. If when you do change the fluid, make sure you do not let the master cylinder go empty or you will have a difficult time getting it bled again! Does the Interstate have linked brakes? If it does, do the front brake first.

I change my oil and filter every 4000-5000 miles.

Other than that you should check all fluids monthly including the battery. I check my oil level every other gas fill up. The manual indicates you should check every nut, bolt, cable, and adjustment at least every 4000 miles. Might be excessive but I have found things have loosened up from time to time.

Enjoy your new bike!:cooler: I love mine. :clapper:

Bob :11grey:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to a Great Forum!!:waving: I have an 83 Standard and have enjoyed this bike more than any bike I have everowned. The Forum has afantastic amount ofgood advice andsome great people. I hope you enjoy your 83 as much as I enjoy mine.:banana:

·
Premium Member
531 Posts
imported post

Dean is hooked!!!/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gifI service mine when I can"t remember the last time I did it!!!/forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies2/bananas.gifWhat are these bananas doing please?????

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

daveinozbikes wrote:
Dean is hooked!!!/forums/images/emoticons/emoticonsxtra/grinner.gifI service mine when I can"t remember the last time I did it!!!/forums/images/emoticons/extrasmilies2/bananas.gifWhat are these bananas doing please?????
daveinozbikes, theare doing a syncronised version of this:banana:mate!!!

Pete

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Ok... Guys... You all make a point of changing the belts on this... Please verify part numbers for me...

NBH250274- NAPA Cam Belt $26.69 USD

http://www.napaonline.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ExecMacro/NAPAonline/search_results_product_detail.d2w/report?prrfnbr=28590126&prmenbr=5806

T274 - Gates Cam Belt

I've got to park the GW for now. The rear tire is completely bald.:shock: I had too much fun riding to Lewiston ID yesterday.:goofygrin: So this will give me time to get a rear tire and a set of cam belt.

Engine Oilchanged (15W-40), Spark plugs where clean and new looking, rear-end lube was changed 3 times now! :shock: (Really thick and black! - No metal) I know that antifreeze has to be changed. It's running a bit on the hot sidegoing to Lewiston ID yesterday. Since I got to change the cam belt I'll pull the radiator and flush it too! Good timing for both jobs...

Oh.. As you noticed I'm not afraid to turn a wrench!! LOL! :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

daveinozbikes wrote:

I think they are making little bananas:bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas:

·
GERIATRIC MEMBER
57,413 Posts
imported post

stretrod48 wrote:
I think they are making little bananas:bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas::bananas:
I think they are doinga Foxtrot. :bananas:

:byebye::18red::byebye:

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I'm back at it again... I tore the GW apart today. I got the radiator off to be flushed good. The antifreeze smelled like alcohol or something likeit. So it's getting dumpped.

Q: Is the new Prestone (mix with any colorcoolant - Yellow colored)good for the GW?I don't see any listing of silcates or anything about it. :stumped:

The cam belts are now exposed good and easy to change. Now all I have to do is get the new belts.

Also while the radiator is out I'm installing a fan bypass switch. Basically a switch that puts a short between the fan temp switch. I've got one on my Sabre. It's nice to have so you can force the fan on before the temp starts to rise from sitting in traffic, slow speed travel up gravel roads, etc. Like my Sabre the temp switch would kick the fan on at about 220-230*F!!! :shock:That's too hot for me...

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
imported post

Mopar1973man wrote:
I'm back at it again... I tore the GW apart today. I got the radiator off to be flushed good. The antifreeze smelled like alcohol or something likeit. So it's getting dumpped.

Q: Is the new Prestone (mix with any colorcoolant - Yellow colored)good for the GW?I don't see any listing of silcates or anything about it. :stumped:

The cam belts are now exposed good and easy to change. Now all I have to do is get the new belts.

Also while the radiator is out I'm installing a fan bypass switch. Basically a switch that puts a short between the fan temp switch. I've got one on my Sabre. It's nice to have so you can force the fan on before the temp starts to rise from sitting in traffic, slow speed travel up gravel roads, etc. Like my Sabre the temp switch would kick the fan on at about 220-230*F!!! :shock:That's too hot for me...
I don't know about the Prestone:baffled:, but make sure you keep an eye on your charging system so the battery doesn't get weak! Those fans suck up some amps and will draw the battery down. My 1100 doesn't charge very well while sitting in traffic.

Make sure you mark where the gears are in relation to the casing so you can line everything back up correctly. Once you have the belts on turn the engine over by hand with a wrench on the crank to make sure there is no metal-to-metal contact (valves to piston). Removing the spark plugs first will make that a lot easier! :weightlifter:

Bob :11grey:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.