Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I have not checked for it yet. The original wiring was pretty bad so I'm trying to make sure the ignition wiring is back to normal. It is a huge step that I am getting any power past the key.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok so starter solenoid is bad. The next thing down the line is the starter! It turns over twice, pauses, and then turns over once more. Wait 3 seconds and repeat. Ideas?

·
Administrator
25,567 Posts
Ok so starter solenoid is bad. The next thing down the line is the starter! It turns over twice, pauses, and then turns over once more. Wait 3 seconds and repeat. Ideas?
OK, it's not hydrolocked, if you are supplying good power to the starter and it does that it's bad.

·
Premium Member
948 Posts

Be sure you are using a good charged battery, maybe even try turning the starter with a different known good battery. A starter is an expensive thing to jump into if you're not absolutely sure. Same advise I'd give myself, If I'd only listen.

Scott

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The only reason I'm using my car battery is because I don't want to put too much money into the bike if it is beyond reasonable repair. I did get the bike for just volunteering some time to help someone.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I bench tested my starter and it runs quite well. I was told that the internals could be sluggish from sitting for a while. The advice I was given was to spray a bunch of WD-40 into the cylinder heads and find something to suction it out. Preferably a turkey baster. Is this a logical idea? And does anyone else have any ideas on how to lubricate the internals short of rebuilding the entire block?

·
Administrator
58,969 Posts
I would prefer you spray MMO, not WD-40 as it is way to thin to do a proper job of lubing the cylinder walls.

Any thin oil will work, sewing machine oil, cod liver oil :)
ATF works great also and is cheap and usually on your shelf already.

Going to be pretty hard though to coat the upper sides of the cylinder walls unless you have a way to "fog the oil in" thru the spark plug holes.

You don't want too much, just a fog or thin coating.

·
Administrator
25,567 Posts
I bench tested my starter and it runs quite well. I was told that the internals could be sluggish from sitting for a while. The advice I was given was to spray a bunch of WD-40 into the cylinder heads and find something to suction it out. Preferably a turkey baster. Is this a logical idea? And does anyone else have any ideas on how to lubricate the internals short of rebuilding the entire block?
Pour a couple spoonfulls of MMO or ATF in each cylinder and with the plugs still out spin it over with the starter 10 seconds or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Thanks guys. I will give that a shot here in a bit. I need to invest in a spark plug puller and an extension.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.