Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I'd be interested, either in raw form or as a kit if reasonably priced. Lemme know...

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

In the For Sale Wanted forum one member was looking for a "Super Brace" for an 1100....So I have a friend that owns a machine shop and a member is shipping me a "Super Brace" for the 1100's that I'm going to see if Curtis can make at a more reasonable cost than what is for sale on line from aftermarket dealers.....If Curtis can and will make these Super Braces for the 1100's, I might also get him to look at the 1000's too.....BTW Mohawk that is one really nice looking brace.....This is what is so great about this site....members helping members.....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
222 Posts
imported post

Nice brace Mohawk.
I would be interested in a couple.
Make a bunch and make some $.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I don't know if I have a brace on my bike or not. I need to take it apart this weekend for a look-see. If I don't have one on there already, I'll be interested too. Don't know if I am going to make NASSIR3 or not.I'm going to try, it just depends if I can get that week off from work.

·
Premium Member
442 Posts
imported post

I would be interested in one for my '78 GL1000, with enough warning to be able to scrape together the cash to pay for it and shipping. Oh and instructions for installing it, cause I like to have that kinda stuff on hand when I am doing it so I do not screw something up.
Thanks in advance... Pete:action:

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
imported post

One more interested in the brace,I have a slight slow speed wobble on my 1200 and I think this would help. Let us know Dave

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
imported post

Sorry guys, My Company is not interested in making these.

And the ones I designed are only for the 1500's and will not fit the 1100 or 1200.

The rest I am bringing to NAASIR3, D-ROD wants them for auction night.

I may mail them to the hotel as they are so heavy to put in the Saddlebags.

C Ya

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
305 Posts
imported post

That's too bad, Mohawk. I would have purchased one for my GL1100 in a heart beat. Anyone else with the facilities willing to take on the project? There are still thousands of 1100's on the road that would benefit form this add on!

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
imported post

HI, Just a tip for the guys that are going to modify the old style brace I sent out.

If you want to open that center hole up to .812" the easiest way I found was to use one of those stepped drills that look like a Christmas tree.

I see them for sale all the time at Harbor Freight.

Just measure the land that is 13/16" or .812" and color it with a magic marker so you know when to stop.

and then clamp the brace in a vise or anywhere.

Don't try to hold it in your hand unless you really like the name Lefty or Stubs.

Now when you use this drill bit to drill the Stainless Steel the preceding size guides or acts like a pilot for the next larger size.

Works Great and very smooth with no jumping or chatter.

Good Luck

Mohawk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
imported post

Hi There,

Just got a good report from one of the last guy's I sent Braces to.

He was very impressed with the handling Improvement of his wing.

I really expected that somebody would feel NO Improvement.

But all have reported a much tighter ride with less slop felt in the bars.

Especially at very slow speeds and while turning from Lock to Lock, Like doing figure eights.

This will help me while riding in parades, or just playing in a parking lot while waiting for other riders to have their smoke.

Well, Have a GREAT WEEK.

Mohawk

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Right you are Mohawk - this is my post on the other thread (Fork Brace) from Nov 29th

"I never realized how much play there was in the forks until now, totally different ride.
Thanks again :waving: "

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,109 Posts
imported post

mohawk, you are definately on to something, it looks pretty simple to make but as we know, if you know what your doing it IS simple. i also sent a pm. good luck:clapper:

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
imported post

I have had a few members drop me PM's to see if they can get a brace sent to them.
A couple members even offered big money to get their hands on one.

I have been busy and just kinda ignored my PM inbox.
But in the spirit of Christmas, I decided to clean it up.
Most of these members say they will not be able to attend NASSIR3 so I decided to help them out. Here is the PM I sent them.
-------------------
The below is a reply I sent to one member that wants a plate.

If you want one too, Drop me a PM....

Thanks Mohawk
-------------------
It's not that Dude, I just have been busy lately.

I work 12 hour days at the plant plus this is Holiday season and I get real behind.

I have a few people that want these plates.

I didn't really make them to sell, I just had an idea to make them better than the billet aluminum and much cheaper.

Plus I put the dimensions and instructions on the forum so anybody can make them.

The reasons I didn't want to sell these are.:

I had to scrounge 7mm bolts for the install and used longer bolts that were available and had to cut them down for use. So I don't have the bolts, You will have to get your own.

I haven't deburred the plates at all, They are just like they came from the punch.

It's a pain to package the plates as the sharp edges want to cut through the envelope.

Then there is the whole addressing the Envelope and I suck at clerical chores. Grin

Then I have to listen to the wife as she is the one that has to stand in line at the post office.

So if you really want one of these I will have more time right after Christmas.

I figure Pain and suffering ( Listening to the Wife) material and packaging is worth $10.
Plus $5.00 should pay the shipping in the states.

So $15.00 total to get the plate to you right after the 1rst of the year.

If this works for you, drop me a note or PM and I will gather the addresses together and warn the wife. OUCH <G>

C Ya

Mohawk

_____Original Message_____
Date: 2009-12-22 01:47:43
Subject:

Mohawk I asked you how much you wanted for one of these plates you make & you never got back to me well ? If you don`t want to deal with me tell me & Ill go else ware !

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
imported post

I have had a few guys ask me questions on how to mount the brace and one guy that dropped the inner sheet metal nut plate and spent hours cussing and trying to get it to mount right.

So here is the link that had the pictures and steps I followed when I did mine.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/82647.html

I can also make a comment on this link to bring it back to the top.

Took me a while to find it and it was Waaaay back on page 6.

Wow, this is a busy forum.

Good Luck guys

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
308 Posts
imported post

Have anything like that in the making for the vintage bikes...the 70's version? I have a 79 and would love to have at leat the drawing and specs.

Bob

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
imported post

Hey There!

Hi There!

Ho There!

I have had a few members PM me and ask for the directions on how to mount the fork braces they got at NASSIR3 and I sent them this link.

As a side note if you will PM Wingsound he has a bag of the Studs he bought for installing his brace.

I didn't think I was going to make the get together and I still need to thank 96aspencade for bring the plates to you. It was so weird that I was standing next to D-Rod when Bob walked up to hand the plates to him for the auction. It was cool I shocked them both. Bob says to D-Rod, "Here are the Fork Braces that Mohawk Sent in" D-Rod asked "What do they look like? and how Many are there?" Bob then replied, "I haven't even unwrapped them to look at them" I then says, "Hi, I'm Mohawk, There are 19 plates there" They both looked at me shocked. And I grinned thinking my White Mans Disguise works plenty good.

Also we need to thank wgj46 (Wayne) for checking on an older model for fit and function.
He took a Fork Brace and said he checked it out and it should fit...... I want to say a 1200 but we need to drop him a line to make sure.

So good luck guys.

Enjoy

Mohawk

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

haveing missed this thread. i was wondering what it was that i bought , a long wtih the harley 3 in. handalebar extensions. still dont know what i doing with them ??????????? think i`ll give it to john , he has a 1500 .

·
Premium Member
614 Posts
imported post

Do the 2010 GL1800 need this fork brace or did Honda fix the problem on the newer bikes. Even if they did not address this issue, I know one thing for sure and that is my new GW handles 100% better than my Harley Street Glide, as a matter of fact it pretty much out performs everything about the Harley.
Let me know about the need for a brace on the 2010 GL1800. If it would handle better with the addition of a brace I may if I feel up to it make a couple for my two 2010 GW's.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.