Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It's cold out, and as usual I'm looking for something to do, and a thought has crossed my mind that I'm not sure about.

The lower fork assembly is the normal dull chrome. Now I know if I go after it with some Mothers chrome polish and some extra fine steel wool I can bring the fork assembly to beautiful shiny finish, the question is, do I want to. So has anyone ever done this? Aside from making more chrome to clean, are there any other considerations before doing this?

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

You'll have to polish it from that day foreward, and clearcoat can help, but then it eventually peels, JMHO jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

Once the ugly clearcoat has been removed you can then use fine abrasive's and mothers aluminum polish to get a very good shine.
After you can polish with lemon pledge then shine will last quite a while.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

but that is still a FINE pair of legs -----

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

The Aluminum will shine for a long time provided you aren't dipping it in mud. I did mine and all it took was a twice a year buff and they last a good long time between polishing..

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

under my supervision, a friendo of mine did it to his bike, first used remover to get clear coat away. or what was left of it. then sanded a bit, polished a bit and looks like chrome!

·
Premium Member
479 Posts
imported post

Do what yuou want but I'd rather ride than polish. Get all the mecanical stuff done , and clean & dielectric your electrical connection.

I'd get that Wing completely maintained so that as soon as the weather gets better you ride & ride, not ride-repair-ride-repair.

But polished forks do look good, and a lot of the Harley guys are into the polishing concept.

I think cycles look best going down the road.:headbanger:

·
Premium Member
3,391 Posts
imported post

derekhendry wrote:
it looks great when you do it but a lot of upkeep
Not when it is covered with Lemon Pledge, It keeps it's shine for quite a while, besides when your not riding your polishing yes?
I give mine a good polish at the beginning of the season, wax it and it will not need touching for months.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.