Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am working on a variation to creating clearance for an Austone that I have not seen posted, an am interested in feedback or suggestions.
Based on lots of postings on this site, there seem to be two modifications required to give clearance to an Austone mounted on the GL1500.

1) The plastic splash shield, mounted on a bracket at the bottom & forward edge of the inner fender must be adjusted to have less backward angle so as to avoid rubbing on the tire.

2) Some have reported that the front portion of the inner fender must be secured “up” to avoid the tire hitting the inner fender on bottom-outs.

I’ve read lots of these posts and did not really know what to expect until I saw for myself.

I observed that the splash shield is angled back toward the rear of the bike from it’s mount point, AND has at least 3/8 inch of added thickness at the mounted edge as it is not attached smoothly against the bracket. In fact, I found two sizable pebbles stuck between the shield and the bracket.
I believe bending the bracket is unrealistic, not only is the bracket made of steel and mounted on a soft plastic part, it has a curved shape following the curved contour of the inner fender.

Rather than simply removing the splash shield as some have done, I plan two different modifications to improve clearance.

I removed the splash shield from the face of the bracket and will refasten it to the “back” of the bracket, adding four more rivets to ensure a smooth surface. My photos show a piece of test material positioned in place with pop rivets loosely in place, rather than the final re-cut completed installation.

Second, I re-cut the edge of the shield with a curved shape, such that when mounted it forces the shield in to a forward attitude from the bracket.

The before and after photos ( below ) taken looking up from the ground, seem to confirm that I’ve achieved a big change in the position of the shield.

The saggy fender problem is one I have not solved and would like some advice on. I discovered that the plastic around the mount point where the front half of the inner fender attaches under the seat was completely broken off. ( photo below ) The front half of the inner fender doesn’t seem to have much play, but it’s clearly hanging down at least ¼ inch as that’s the size of the gap between the broken plastic parts at the mount point.

What’s the best way to secure the front inner fender to provide as much clearance as possible, now that this mount point is completely broken?

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Should work well but probably lots of work for nothing LOL

On the 88 I forgot about doing any mods and only had slight rubbing hitting hard bumps loaded pretty good, and just rode it like that. Bugged me a bit at first when it would growl but it went away fairly quick. I noticed it when taking off for a 5-7K trip and no time to mess with it so I just watched it real close for several 100 miles.

On 95 when I put the Austone on I just whacked it with a hammer a couple times at the flap and bent it back some, never rubbed at all on 95 then.

May depend a bit on each 1500 though?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
For me the sweet spot seems to be 35 psi in the Progressive 416's and 47 psi in the Austone. With this I had a lot of rubbing in the last 700 or so miles that it has been on. More shock pressure is simply unacceptable, I like a smooth ride, so I did this today.

I raised the saggy fender by adding ¼ inch of ABS under the lower side attachment point, on both sides, and bent the upper mount point back to where the bracket , after being straightened, holds the cable junction? down again.
Moved the splash flap towards the front of the lower fender mount and now it just drapes over the very front edge of the swing arm.

Seems to have solved all the rubbing problems, so far. The sweet spot for the Kamparoo Trailer is only 25 psi, although it did not rub any more than without it attached, I will test that sometime this week.

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.