Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone removed the trunk and mounted a short windshield on a 1200 goldwing, to make it look like the new FB6 ?? Im not using the goldwing very much as i ride the VFR most of the time, Im not going long distances and i think doing some reversible changes to the goldwing would make it more appealing to me so i can use it often. Has anyone tried this??

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
Hey tprender I see you are in STL. I am just accross the river in East Alton.

You can easily remove the trunk with 4 bolt/nuts. All of the lights you need are on the frame so the trunk can go with no modification at all. I ran my 95 ASPY like that for a while. It looked awesome! To complete the look I also removed the lower fairings but then you have to have put back the vertical pieces on either side of the radiator or you WILL have overheat problems.

Windshield is a little different problem. You have try and find an old scratched up one for cheap and cut it down yourself.

·
Premium Member
521 Posts
I guess I may be not only "off track' here, but certainly showing my age, but.......why would you want to strip down something as beautiful as a 1200 (or 1000., 1100 1800 for that) and make it something different?....guess I'm a traditional sort of rider, love the way they look, and, if you want to ride something different that 'appeals" to you more...so be it..!!..or..of course buy an " FB6" (new style Valk)
Just a thought,
Cheers,
Peter.

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Ever ride one without the fairing? Amazing how much more nimble it is. When it's cold the fairing makes it more comfortable, but in warm weather it is really nice naked.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
im not talking about running it without a fairing, just without trunk and a verry low windshield. i've had my 1200 without trunk a couple of days and kinda liked the way it looked. wanna try with a short windshield.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
u might want to find someone with an old windshield and cut it down to try it,in warm weather it might be an interesting switch

·
Valkyrie Scum
2,777 Posts
It can be done - though I've never seen it.

Trunk comes off easy enough and changing the windshield out isn't a big deal.

·
Premium Member
785 Posts
Although I don't have a picture my 1200I it's sans lower front fairings and trunk. In the summer I have a cut down windshield. Noisier and more air in your face but looks good I think. I have never had an overheat problem even in Arkansas summers. If you take the lower fronts off remember how they mount!

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
If you loook at my avatar you'll see an 84 Gl1200 Std. Not really the same as striping down an Interstate or Aspencade. Two different looks entirely.

Here is my 85 Aspy minus the lower fairing and trunk:

And the 84 STD:

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
If the bike is nice, I wouldn't make any permanent changes to it. If it is already trashed, like mine was when I got it, I don't see how it makes much difference, as long as you don't throw away any useable parts someone else might need.

I have considered exactly the same modification, removing the trunk, fairing lowers, and using a cut down windshield. None of this is permanent. But I ran into 2 problems. There is some really ugly stuff behind the fairing lowers. I have an LTD with cornering lights. I thought about replacing the fairing lowers with standard ones, and painting them black, so they are not as visible. The other issue is cutting down the windshield. I tried that once and wound up destroying it. If I try it again I will take it to a glass shop that also deals with acrylic and plexiglass and have it done right. But remember, the bike will still look and feel mostly the same from the seat. You will have more airflow, but the big bulky fairing will still be there. I noticed an increase in air flow when I replaced the rotted stock windshield that had the bold on deflectors on the sides with a one piece Slipstreamer shield. I like the Slipstreamer better. I want to feel like I'm on a motorcycle, not in a car. I may actually try your idea at some point.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
I've ran without the trunk for quite a while. I have it back on now, but it looks good (and gets 2mpg more) without it.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Coming from a life time of sport bikes and cruisers. I'm liking the look of my 84 aspencade. But mine the PO took off all the honda badges and any extra chrome. Added an after markted smooth more modern seat. So it has the look of a slightly moddified goldwing. As with all things I always say do what you want if it makes you ride it more. I'll never get ride of my 1986 White VFR classic looking sport bike. It too has a semi custom and semi stock look.

·
Premium Member
1,584 Posts
I very seldom put my trunk back on my 82. I like the looks and feel without the trunk. I only use it now if I know I'm going to have a passenger or I need the extra storage space. Once the weather warms up good, I remove everything below the main fairing for more air flow, plus I like the looks.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.