Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Well,, the season is upon us and for many of us we use this time to perform maintenance and upgrades on our beauties. So I thought I would post a few links with helpful tips for those that are new here and haven't seen them. Or even for a good refresher,,,,,,,,, ( I know I can'tremember all this info on here).

And please add to the list what you can

First is a tool I made for the Lock Nut on the Steering Head,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum9/112668.html

This one gives you GRIP,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/108830.html

Happy Wrenching :waving:

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

Swing arm removal socket, I think this also works on the head but not sure if it is the same size or not.

5 mins. in the vice with an old socket and the angle grinder, then used the impact wrench with a firm push and off it came.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Good stuff/topic, Dave

Here's a 'tool' I made to remove the bottom bearing race out of the steering tube on my 1500.

You can read about it here; http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/view_post.php?post_id=1300209

My version of Exavid's fork spring tool, for when you have your forks removed from the bike and need to remove/install the fork caps

Here's another 'tool' I made, to remove a very stuburn fork cap. My fork caps are recessed hex sockets, so I just got a 17mm bolt, lock washer, a couple of nuts and ran a bead of weld around the top of the nut/bolt. Set it in the fork cap and hit it with my air gun and a deep 17mm socket. Presto ..... off it comes.

Speaking of fork caps Not a 'tool', but ...... If you don't have air valves in your fork caps, you can drill a hole and tap them, then install either an air valve, or a set of hex head button bolts (with washer/0-rings) This makes future fork oil changes a breeze as you now don't have to remove the fork caps to install fresh fluid.

I think that's it for my 'custom' tools. :baffling:

Dusty

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

Dusty Boots wrote:
Speaking of fork caps Not a 'tool', but ...... If you don't have air valves in your fork caps, you can drill a hole and tap them, then install either an air valve, or a set of hex head button bolts (with washer/0-rings) This makes future fork oil changes a breeze as you now don't have to remove the fork caps to install fresh fluid.

Dusty

I like that idea. What kind of air valve; where would one get them?

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Up here in Canada, you can get them from Princess Auto, which is very similar to your Harbor Freight!

A Google search should turn up something for you.

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

There was a similar thread about a year ago on making your own tools. So I have shown this before.

Nut with a Zerk or grease gun fitting threaded into it.

Attach it to gummed up brake calipers. A couple of squirts with a grease gun and out pop the pistons.

Attachments

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

maplewingnut,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I've been here awhile, and I've never seen that one. So just goes to show that a lot goes on here, and if you blink,,,, you might miss some good stuff :thumbsup:.

Keep the ideas coming,,, I'm sure someone will benefit from it.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Just thought I'd give this a "Bump". I see a few members are talking about doing some of these jobs.

And maybe we can gain a few new ideas here :smiler:

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Winger77 wrote:
maplewingnut,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I've been here awhile, and I've never seen that one. So just goes to show that a lot goes on here, and if you blink,,,, you might miss some good stuff :thumbsup:.

Keep the ideas coming,,, I'm sure someone will benefit from it.
MWG already helped me with that grease zerk for the brakes! And, it also came in handy on my gl1100 brake.
Thanks again Neil! Great tool!

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

A good subject considering the weird nuts Honda uses on their bikes.

That four prong tool is also used in removing the clutch cage on a CB750 SOHC. I think the nut is found on several Hondas.

My tool was made by a machinist friend after he found out the honda price. He also heat treated it. I mention this because if you grind too much on a socket tool, the heat may anneal the steel and soften it. Try to keep it cool anyway; less than 300-400F.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts
imported post

You're right Sandcast, there ARE a lot of weird nuts on Hondas. And the fittings they are put together with can be strange too!
:ROFL:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.