Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just about positive that I'll be purchasing a 2021 GL 1800B as soon as they hit the showroom floors next month (?). Originally I had it in my mind that only a manual clutch was for me but after much reading and viewing video reviews I am now considering the DCT model. I would like to know what owners think of the DCT and its paddle shifter vs. the manual. Yes, it is great or no, manual is the way to go.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
I have a CVT on a Piaggio MP3 scooter, which handles like a DCT.
It is always in the proper RPM range for the situation that is needed to be handled.

Were I to be buying new today, a DCT is the only type transmission I would consider.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
the DCT has been used in many motorcycles and vehicles, it is almost totally infallible.

their are a lot of cars and trucks using 10 and 12 speed DCT transmissions,
Honda has used it for years in their '700 bike, can't recall the nomenclature of it right now

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Consider this. The DCT outsells the manual 6 to 1.

Rayjoe

Reactions: TinBC

·
1,742 Posts
I have only tried the new model with DCT on a test ride, but if I was looking for a new Gold Wing it would definitely be a DCT model. I tried every situation I could think of and this gear system worked absolutely amazing. (and better than CVT gear in my Subaru Forester).
BTW: DCT gear is not new, it was invented by Porsche for their race cars, around 1980. (they called it PDK, = Porsche Duppel Kuplung).

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
590 Posts
I have only tried the new model with DCT on a test ride, but if I was looking for a new Gold Wing it would definitely be a DCT model. I tried every situation I could think of and this gear system worked absolutely amazing. (and better than CVT gear in my Subaru Forester).
BTW: DCT gear is not new, it was invented by Porsche for their race cars, around 1980. (they called it PDK, = Porsche Duppel Kuplung).
And when Porsche came out with PDK and paddle shifters, those forums were full of all the same threads, questions and supposition as these are now.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I test rode a D.C.T, Gold Wing a couple of years ago. About 6 miles in town riding. I thought the shifting was clunky, and jerky. Maybe I had to spend mre highway time. Learn how to operate the turn signals before you ride.
gumbyredd

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
I test rode a D.C.T, Gold Wing a couple of years ago. About 6 miles in town riding. I thought the shifting was clunky, and jerky. Maybe I had to spend mre highway time. Learn how to operate the turn signals before you ride.
gumbyredd
Honda made it plain, that the DCT is an AI controlled transmission.
My '98 Dodge RAM automatic transmission had AI, it takes a while for it to learn your driving habits, but once it does, oh is it ever smooth.

Also, 6 miles did not allow you to get accustomed to the DCT, nor all of its' different driving modes.
Each mode has a distinct different 'feel' to how it handles.
The 'Sport mode' is probably what most of us would want to use initially until we became totally accustomed to the whole package.

From what I have read, and watched on YouTube, the Touring Mode is what usually most folks end up with after a few hundred miles.

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
I still like the 6 speed. I don't mind shifting at all. I use econ mode most its just the smoothest over all. I understand Honda worked on the throttle control to make it a bit smoother on the DCT.

·
Premium Member
2,064 Posts
Shifting gears does not bother me unless in heavy, bumper to bumper traffic. Then I wish I had DCT. However if I had DCT Im certain I wouldnt miss shifting gears.
( I had only one manual shifting car and i wouldnt buy one again)
Obiviosly my answer is go DCT

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
590 Posts
My method of pulling a slow tight corner or U-turn is to keep the revs up and use the clutch to modulate power to the rear wheel, perhaps dragging on the rear brake just a bit. What's the method of doing the same with the DCT?

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
My method of pulling a slow tight corner or U-turn is to keep the revs up and use the clutch to modulate power to the rear wheel, perhaps dragging on the rear brake just a bit.

foot on brake, just like I do anyway.

·
1,742 Posts
My method of pulling a slow tight corner or U-turn is to keep the revs up and use the clutch to modulate power to the rear wheel, perhaps dragging on the rear brake just a bit. What's the method of doing the same with the DCT?
I was also very excited about this maneuver - it was extremely easy and soft, (almost "automatic");)
The hard part was getting my left hand to stop fumbling with the clutch grip.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,429 Posts
I was also very excited about this maneuver - it was extremely easy and soft, (almost "automatic");)
I agree, for those just learning this method, the hardest part is to get them to quit moving the Clutch lever. Find the Slippery Zone and hold it here, do NOT move the Clutch lever.

Control all forward movement with the Brake Pedal.....
the throttle should be held at the point where the engine is just wanting to pull you forward; at this point, do NOT move the throttle grip again.

the Brake Pedal is the only thing that you move, to control Slow Speed Maneuvers.

. an empty Parking Lot is the place to practice this......
when I was working with the Fire Department, all of our entrances were Gated, and they would not Open when you Exit until the Vehicle was over the Trip Wire buried in the Asphalt....
It took me a few times to get this method to work Just right, so that I could approach the gate, hold the bike in Slippery Mode, just barely crawling forward until the gate opened and I could pass through.

getting into the parking lot, was a lot harder, you had to hold your ID Badge over a Magnetic Sensor before the gate would open, and let you inside the property..... I never was able to get that to work, without stopping. ( slippery mode is damn hard to do, if you have to use your left hand to hold the badge over the sensor :( )

·
1,742 Posts
Sorry I meant
-The hard part was getting my left hand to stop fumbling after the (non-existent) clutch lever.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
when I test rode the VFR 1200 back in 2010 I would not have ordered one as the only way I liked to ride it was in the manual mode using the paddle shifters to control suburban speed limits (hold 4 gear to maintain 60kph easily) and the sports mode was too savage and in drive it would lope along in top gear and keep getting faster. When I test rode the 2018 model it was light years in front of the VFR’s transmission. If you give it full throttle it just gets up and boogies but if you hold a steady throttle it holds the gear, if you roll up the throttle it changes up and changes down as you roll off the throttle and reduce your road speed. Unfortunately I haven’t won the lottery yet and will be waiting sometime before they are in my price bracket (currently around $50K aud). The other nice features of the transmission is walking mode and reverse.(y)

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am just about positive that I'll be purchasing a 2021 GL 1800B as soon as they hit the showroom floors next month (?). Originally I had it in my mind that only a manual clutch was for me but after much reading and viewing video reviews I am now considering the DCT model. I would like to know what owners think of the DCT and its paddle shifter vs. the manual. Yes, it is great or no, manual is the way to go.
G,Day i have been riding all my life and driving there is one thing i have learnt Never But the first Brand New Model of any auto Car or Bike there will always be little engine Bugs they have Not seen yet buy the next Model never the fist unless you have $$$ to Burn wait a year or two then buy is as a demo used a little with no Bugs cheers good Luck .

Attachments

·
Registered
2008 GL1800 Airbag "Titanium Torpedo". Former 1987 GL1200.
3 Posts
I know you can manually shift with a hand control on the DCT. I wonder how many people have had the optional foot shifter installed on the DCT model. That might make it the best of both worlds. Anyone have experience with the optional foot shifter?

·
Registered
812 Posts
getting into the parking lot, was a lot harder, you had to hold your ID Badge over a Magnetic Sensor before the gate would open, and let you inside the property..... I never was able to get that to work, without stopping. ( slippery mode is damn hard to do, if you have to use your left hand to hold the badge over the sensor :( )
You probably could have done it if you had a DCT. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts