Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
GL1800G Gen2, in Matte Altair Silver & Black
2 Posts
I had a DCT for 12 days and the more I rode it the less I liked it.
I found it changed gear too early for me, it changed gear whilst I was leaning over and I didnt like it.
The first time I noticed it was at a traffic island, I was turning right (I'm in the UK) so I had to go 270degress around the island. I set off in 1st then into 2nd, then I cranked the bike over to make the turn and whilst I'm doing this the bike changed gear, it went up into 3rd then 4th and its quite unsettling when it does this.
When out riding the more rural roads I was approaching a set of twists n turns which I know and would usually take them at 60mph, the bike was cruising at 60mph in 7th gear so I hit the down shift to take 5th, I wanted to maintain 60mph but increase the revs to give me more control in the bends. Just as I entered the bend the bike changed back up to 6th then to 7th. The only way I could get the bike to handle how I wanted was to put it into full manual mode.
The dct is not for me, I much prefer to be in control of the gear changes myself, the bike doesnt have eyes and it cant see what I can see so I prefer the 6speed manual transmission.

My car is an 8speed auto so I'm used to auto gear shifts but even in the car, I sometimes do like to use the tiptronic mode and make the gear change decisions myself.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,372 Posts
I have always over-ridden Automatic transmissions in winter weather, especially this last week when I helped my daughter deliver the U.S. Mail....

Her car is a Pontiac Vibe not set up for ice roads at that time, it is now, with Studded Snow tires on the front. ( she drives it locked in 2nd gear with OD turned OFF )

I used my 2001 4x4 Suburban to deliver the mail, I had to lock the transmission in 2nd gear to prevent it from taking off from a dead stop in 1st gear.... that puts too much torque on the road, and the tires just spin, truck going nowhere...

With it locked in 2nd gear & 4x4 High engaged, I was able to ease off from each mailbox to the next.....
each stop was an experience, some roads slope off to the right really bad....
On one occasion, after we stopped, the truck just started sliding "downhill" towards the mailbox. I put a bit of throttle on to get past the mailbox, so we would not hit it.

After that, I kept the truck in the center of the road, Cyndi would get out and walk to the mailboxs/front doors wearing Spikes on her boots.

back to DCT, if I were going to get a new bike, it would definitely be a DCT bike.
The events you mention about the RoundaBout don't exist often enough for me to ever worry about, and even if they did, I would Paddle it down and go slower until on the Straight again.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you did not like the DCT. It sounds like you solved the problem by using the paddle shifters.

For me, I look forward to not having a clutch lever to hold in on long traffic signals. I've ridden an NC700XD with the DCT and I like it!! I'm just not willing to throw down the cash right now to get a Goldwing DCT. I'm bike poor at present. Ten bikes!! It's time to thin the herd! Maybe this spring some of them will move.

Rayjoe

Reactions: TinBC

·
Registered
58 Posts
All my other bikes are manual and I enjoy shifting gears. I'm an old fart and like to shift myself. Never considered the DCT but they do seem to be the rage and am happy for you folks that have them. Have a two seat Chevy with a clutch also so you can see where my heart is. That left foot has to do something or it will fall off from no use.

How many of you pups ever dimmed your headlights with your left foot?

·
Administrator
26,699 Posts
How many of you pups ever dimmed your headlights with your left foot?
Yes and hit the starter button with my right foot too, & cranked my windows up & down etc.

Reactions: tamathumper

·
Registered
809 Posts
Or how about a hand crank starter?
Don't forget the foot pedal windshield washer pump, too.
Yet, here we all are with our own computers, talking about what is newfangled.
My friend says it best, "They don't make 'em like they used to, and thank God they don't"

·
Administrator
26,699 Posts
I never had a hand crank car but have used hand crank farm tractors.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Never used the hand crank on the model A but it was there. I have hand cranked a Lincoln welder, and the gas pony motor used to start the diesel on an old Cat.
I'll take the push button any day.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts