Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manual preference

957 views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  Broke Winger 
#1 ·
Hello, I am just looking to find out from experienced mechanics if you like the Honda manual or prefer a Haynes or Clymer manual. Advantages and/or disadvantages? Thanks

#3 ·
Depends on the job and the resources you have. I have both the Honda manual and the clymer. I haven't gotten the haynes yet, but plan too eventually. The Honda manual seems to be written more for the pros, assuming the user knows a lot that they may not... the clymer seems more down to earth, even suggesting alternatives for specialty tools sometimes, but you lose a little bit of that "in depth" technical junk that you sometimes need. My theory is, you can never have too many sets of instructions...

#9 ·
Sorry about not listing the model I ride but I thought it was in my preferences. I haven't been on the forum in a while so my preferences were removed. Anyway, I wasn't really asking which manual was better for a specific model or year, just asking in general and I think I have the information I was looking for from some good replys. thanks. I have an 1989 GL1500 and am looking to do several things in the next few weeks.

#10 ·
I agree with the other guys, nice to have a few manuals.

I like the big OEM hard book, not CD, for around the house/shop, and sometimes may carry the smaller Clymers on the bike on trips just in case I need it.

Also Clymers says to put the fork seals on an 1100 in upside down. Maybe looking at 2 different manuals for the same job a person would catch that? Maybe both are wrong?
I was lucky I read it on the forum here before I read the Clymers to do the job when I did mine!

#11 ·
Official Service Manual

#12 ·
ONLY buy a factory manual from ebay if the price is considerably less than the Helm manual. It's amazing how many guys buy the Helm manual and then ask double what they pay for them.

Helm charges $65 for the manual. Ebay ones go for up to twice that. Buyer beware...

#13 ·
I do my own work on my 1800 2001 ..the Honda service Manual is the one I use ...and Fred's cds of course ..a great combo

#15 ·
I prefer the "GoldWingFacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum" to any other manual ever written.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.