Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

:cool:Thanks to everyone for your excellent advice and info. For those interested, I live in Dublin, Ga, halfway between Macon, Ga and Savannah Ga on I-16. Now only 1 problem left, my local honda dealer won't touch anything over 10 years old. How hard is do-it-yourself. I don't have much mechanic experience on motorcycles, but I am a fair auto mechanic. I'm just thinking what if's here. anyone know mechanics located not too far away?

I would hook up with some of you locals, but i'm afraid the Star might not keep up without a little strain....still, for 1100 ccs at a little less than 500lbs, it gets down the road...but I want a bike that I can ride 200 miles a day and not be vibrating an hour after I stop. I think the goldwing is the answer.

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

I just got rid of my 1100 V-Star Silverado just for that reason, I wanted to be able to ride farther, more comfort, etc. The 'wing definitely fits the bill.

On a side note, if you click on the main page on the right, it says "My Account" you can enter all your stuff in the "Profile" area.

Welcome to the forum by the way...
Bill

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks for the info, I did complete the profile, but waiting on an avatar until I am truly a WINGY

·
Premium Member
2,801 Posts
imported post

lol, sounds good. I kinda like the Vespa lookin avatar :)

·
Premium Member
4,910 Posts
imported post

jrs60371 wrote:
:cool:but I want a bike that I can ride 200 miles a day and not be vibrating an hour after I stop. I think the goldwing is the answer.
HO! These 'Wings will easily do ya' 3x200 miles/day, if you like, and the worst you'll get is maybe a "monkey-butt", if the seat don't match your anatomy!! :action:

If you use a shop manual on your cage work at all, you'll do just fine wrenching the bikes with a proper manual by your side, IMHO (free download - this forum). Of course, you seem to have a SEi, which spells fuel injection, I think...FI has always sort of scared me, regardless of the vehicle. :shock:

·
Premium Member
1,523 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing is right down the road from you in swainsboro and im just a little farther. if you have some mechanical ability, that plus this wonderful web site can handle almost anything.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

creek--- i see your still playing with trains .

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

wda-83wing wrote:
creek--- i see your still playing with trains .
Hey, at least he isn't sleeping on the job anymore!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

I have had some other bikes over the years but I have never put highway miles on anything but my 1100.I can't imagine cruising on anything else.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

:clapper:Now I went and done it....traded the Star for a 1985 1200 Aspencade, and did my first 25 miles late today....It rides like a dream. Only has 42,000 miles, so almost new by Honda standards. I can tell it hasn't been ridden much, there is a little pause when you roll on the throttle and it was idling a little rough...needless to say, I gave it some fresh gas and a shot or two of Sea Foam...it is better, so I think the high speed jets might be gummed a little bit. If that's it, Sea Foam will fix it. Everythink works well, I think. It does not have a cb, or doesn't appear to be wired for intercom, although on the radio, (the panasonic with the cassette player and clock) does have a lablel that says intercom. How can I tell????? Also, as you can figure my luck on my first ride...some guy pulls up and says check your rear tire...yep....going down...so I hustled back home, and checked the valve stem, that was it I think, will know more in the morning.

But I can truly say, it was the best ride I have had on a cycle...will soon have my avitar! I made wingy class.

Everyone has been so great, I can't wait to meet some of you. Rest assured, I will have plenty of questions...so just hang in there and help educate me to the wingy method of travel.

Johnny Ray

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Now I went and done it....traded the Star for a 1985 1200 Aspencade ( I passed on the SEI, got worried about elect. problems plus this bike has 240000miles less) and did my first 25 miles late today....It rides like a dream. Only has 42,000 miles, so almost new by Honda standards. I can tell it hasn't been ridden much, there is a little pause when you roll on the throttle and it was idling a little rough...needless to say, I gave it some fresh gas and a shot or two of Sea Foam...it is better, so I think the high speed jets might be gummed a little bit. If that's it, Sea Foam will fix it. Everything works well, I think. It does not have a cb, or doesn't appear to be wired for intercom, although on the radio, (the panasonic with the cassette player and clock) does have a lablel that says intercom. How can I tell????? Also, as you can figure my luck on my first ride...some guy pulls up and says check your rear tire...yep....going down...so I hustled back home, and checked the valve stem, that was it I think, will know more in the morning.

But I can truly say, it was the best ride I have had on a cycle...will soon have my avitar! I made wingy class.

Everyone has been so great, I can't wait to meet some of you. Rest assured, I will have plenty of questions...so just hang in there and help educate me to the wingy method of travel.

Johnny Ray

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Great lets get together sometime for an intro...see below
Now I went and done it....traded the Star for a 1985 1200 Aspencade, and did my first 25 miles late today....It rides like a dream. Only has 42,000 miles, so almost new by Honda standards. I can tell it hasn't been ridden much, there is a little pause when you roll on the throttle and it was idling a little rough...needless to say, I gave it some fresh gas and a shot or two of Sea Foam...it is better, so I think the high speed jets might be gummed a little bit. If that's it, Sea Foam will fix it. Everythink works well, I think. It does not have a cb, or doesn't appear to be wired for intercom, although on the radio, (the panasonic with the cassette player and clock) does have a lablel that says intercom. How can I tell????? Also, as you can figure my luck on my first ride...some guy pulls up and says check your rear tire...yep....going down...so I hustled back home, and checked the valve stem, that was it I think, will know more in the morning.

Johnny Ray

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Way to go Johnny!!! Keep the scooter avatar though, it looks good on you, hehehehe. Ok, we now know you live in the USA, but I think you can do better than that. Put in the city and state as you never know when help may be just around the block or you find someone to ride with. This is a big family and we don't keep many secrets from each other on here.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Speaking of trains, I have my childhood Lionel...about 52 years old...and wda when you get ready to see the rest of the world, let me know...I'm retiring in Feb..so I will have time on my hands..Flown over the Rockys man times, but would love to ride them...

Now I went and done it....traded the Star for a 1985 1200 Aspencade, and did my first 25 miles late today....It rides like a dream. Only has 42,000 miles, so almost new by Honda standards. I can tell it hasn't been ridden much, there is a little pause when you roll on the throttle and it was idling a little rough...needless to say, I gave it some fresh gas and a shot or two of Sea Foam...it is better, so I think the high speed jets might be gummed a little bit. If that's it, Sea Foam will fix it. Everythink works well, I think. It does not have a cb, or doesn't appear to be wired for intercom, although on the radio, (the panasonic with the cassette player and clock) does have a lablel that says intercom. How can I tell????? Also, as you can figure my luck on my first ride...some guy pulls up and says check your rear tire...yep....going down...so I hustled back home, and checked the valve stem, that was it I think, will know more in the morning.

Johnny Ray

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hey Michael, okay...thought I did that, but like everything else, looks like I will have to relick the stamp, so back to the profile area. I picked the Vespa avitar because that was my first bike...purchased through Sears in 1958, baby blue, at the ripe old age of 11. Been riding something every since. My next bile was a Cushman Eagle...remember those? It was black...and I still remember the troubles with that suicide shifter....

Okay...back to the profile area, please recheck and see if I do it right, but give me a few minutes.

Johnny Ray

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Why in the world would I want rehab when I have finally found Nirvina? :) I am afraid you are right, hooked for life..

JR

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.