Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I like to have a road map when on trip. On my old gl 1100 I had a magnetic tank bag that had a clear map pocket on top. I used on my FJR. On the 1800 the tank bag will not work. I know lots of folks are using the GPS units but I like a good road map. Does anyone have any suggestions where to place a map on the 1800? :action:

·
Premium Member
5,408 Posts
imported post

Even witha GPS the map gives you a better overview especially in unfamiliar country. A GPS can be notoriously obedient. If you set it for shortest distance it can take you on a route that is a few yards shorter but takes an hour longer. Conversely when set for fastest time it can take you thirty miles out of your way to gain a minute.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I always carry a road atlas in the trunk of my 1800. I plan my trip the night before. If needed I just stop and get the atlas out if I want to change direction. I prefer maps myself also.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
imported post

John, thanks for the link and the info, order on today. Again thanks :action:

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

glyn7255 wrote:
John, thanks for the link and the info, order on today. Again thanks :action:
Glad to help. :)

John

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

SETHAN12 wrote:
I always carry a road atlas in the trunk of my 1800. I plan my trip the night before. If needed I just stop and get the atlas out if I want to change direction. I prefer maps myself also.
Same here with the exception that I also keep my spare reading glasses in the trunk also:cool:. Read the map first then punch in a route into the gps and go ride. Works for me.:waving:

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

If you use an erasable, white-board marker, you can write highlights on the windscreen. They wipe right off, and they are a real "heads-up display" for noting route numbers and turns.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.