Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Howdy Everyone,
On Thanksgiving I went and purchased me a 1984 GL 1200 Aspencade. The bike has been fairly well kept but I find that the gear shifter is very strange. It's made by Markland and has two peddles, side by side. When I rode it home I had one heck of time shifting gears. I kept hitting the wrong peddle, and ended up in the wrong gear and had to correct my self. I'm going to try to post a photo here, and would like any comments or suggestions that anyone may have. I my self am looking to remove them and go back the standard peg. I like the floor boards, but not the shifter set up. What do you all think about them ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

that is strange. the boards seem far back to me would be in the way of putting you foot down no.
wilf

·
Administrator
26,551 Posts
imported post

I can't put in nice words what I think of floor boards and heel/toe shifters (which that is not but strange anyway). Good luck finding any stock pegs though.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
imported post

Looks like a heel toe some one modified, and badly at that. Jay

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
imported post

Change them out get some stock pegs they are all over the internet then get yourself some pegs for the bars(Hiway pegs. Get a stock shifter they are all over the place also. ****** normally has all of this stuff.:waving:

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

ceasefire49 wrote:
Change them out get some stock pegs they are all over the internet then get yourself some pegs for the bars(Hiway pegs. Get a stock shifter they are all over the place also. ****** normally has all of this stuff.:waving:
Howdy ceasefire49,
That's just what I want to because I hate that setup. I'd feel much safer with the pegs because that's what I had way back when I had my 82 GL 1100.

Thanks for the tip on J C Whitney, I'm gonna check out their website and see what I can find. I may even check out ebay.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Big Port Jimmy 6 wrote:
Looks like a heel toe some one modified, and badly at that. Jay
You and me see the same thing, A job that was badly done. I removed the setup and I can see that someone broke one of the foot pads off, they then took a short section of metal and welded the sections back together so they could raise it. What a mess.....:X

·
Premium Member
2,048 Posts
imported post

Hi Roger, I have attached a picture of the floorboards and shifter on my 1100, the 1200 shouldlook like it. In your picture, the back half of the shifter has been hacked off and the remainder is homemade. If you want pegs, then as has been said, they are available, if you want the floorboards, you will need a heel/toe shifter. You should be able to find one on ebay.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

jackjohn wrote:
Hi Roger, I have attached a picture of the floorboards and shifter on my 1100, the 1200 shouldlook like it. In your picture, the back half of the shifter has been hacked off and the remainder is homemade. If you want pegs, then as has been said, they are available, if you want the floorboards, you will need a heel/toe shifter. You should be able to find one on ebay.
Howdy Jack,
Thanks for the info. and photo, that helps a lot, and I have to admit that I think that would be the way to go. I like the shifter that you have, and just seen them on ebay as I was looking around. When you said homemade, it hit me! That's just what I thought. As I have been giving that mess a real good looking over, I could see the welds and at that point I knew that shifter couldn't of been factory made. Now I'm wondering if the shifter lever that the heal toe shifter connects to is OEM ? If I post a close up photo of it here, do you think you or someone esle may be able to tell if's OEM or has been replaced with something else?

Roger

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
imported post

appears the oem shifter is there and if you remove the added on heel-toe may still be usuable,cant figure out what that other pad is though

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

on the pircture that jackjohn posted of his shifter assembly

what i did was take off my shifter i welded it up 1inch so the black rubber sits up 1inch more then i cut off the heel toe shifter now my heel sits on that chrome pice on the back of the floor board and i can shift with my foot regularly that way i can keep the floor boards on the long trips and not suffer with a heel toe shifter

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Gentlemen, I thank each and every one of you for the feedback, Links and photo's. Your giving me some good ideas here. I'm going to take the floor board off in the morning and take another real good look at everything. I'm wondering if any of you guys may have the stock setup on your bike? and if so could you post a photo showing just what it looks like? That would help. I just need to see it the way it came off the assembly line. :baffling:

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

I don't have this bike anymore but found this picture. Maybe it will give you an idea of how they look with stock pegs. This is an 85 LTD so the pegs may or may not look like the Interstate or Aspencade but should be very similiar.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
imported post

neoracer wrote:
this heel toe shifter from whitney works well with the stock foot pegs and probably can be adapted to work with the floorboards you have now,seldom does the original markland shifter come up alone on ebay

http://www.jcwhitney.com/chrome-plated-heel/toe-gear-shifter/p2002591.jcwx?filterid=d17027y1986t1j3

stock markland heel-toe should look like this
Thanks for the link!!! I might be inclined to switch to the heel/toe shifter before spring and Whitney "guarantees" that this will work on my 86 Aspy.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

YakAspy wrote:
Howdy... I went outside and took a picture of the front-left foot peg and gear shifter which I believe may have been stock. Here's a couple of pictures that I hope will help you out.
Howdy YakAspy,

Thanks for those photos, their great they show just what was needing to see. Great close up's as well. BellBoy40 and JackJohn also posted some photos that helped, So Thanks goes out to them as well.

I was able to get a stock set of pegs from fellow member RobTheHillBilly. They didnt have the chrome on em but they was what I really needed so that didnt matter. He also had a shift lever. So thanks to him, I'm now back to stock foot pegs and feel much safer now. The setup that came with the bike when I got it, well that was one big mess and in my book, it was accident waiting to happen.

So... to everyone that posted here, I thank each and every one of you. Hope you all have a

[align=center]
Merry Christmas
& Happy New Year
:merrysanta:
[/align]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.