Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I'm in the process of installing Markland Floor Boards on my 85 GL1200 I. I'm having issues with the heel to toe shifter. It is binding and I can only shift from first to second. Does anyone have a set of installation instructions? Dose the shifter need to be re-positioned to make the shifter work?

Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Check the slop in the Heel/Toe shifter arm. The bronze bushing wears and then the action is not so positive. Since it is a Markland, I am assuming that it is not a new floor board set and thus worn?

Even a new aftermarket set works pretty good. I got one off ebay and it works fine. The used Markland set onmy other bike was poor at shifting and required alot of judicious timing during shifting.

My guess is that a replacement set of bronze bearing will fix the problem.

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The bushing is nice a tight. It seems like the shifter is at a different angle than the heel to toe shifter. Its hard to explain I'll take a photo and post tonight.

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
imported post

When I put boards on my 1000 I had to reposition the shifter per the instructions.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

the best thing you could do is throw them away and never look back. its well known that those floorboards on the 1200 are the main reason for bent/broken transmision forks

·
Loyal member
276 Posts
imported post

It is not the floorboards that causes the transmission issues it is leaving your foot on the shifter that does.My 84 aspy came with floorboards and I love them.I have no idea how many miles the PO had on them before me but i have put several thousand miles on with no transmission difficulties whatsoever.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Im looking to buy some markland floorboards for my gl1200. It doenst look like it comes with heel-toe shifter. Are they supposed to come with that shifter?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Im looking to buy some markland floorboards for my gl1200. It doenst look like it comes with heel-toe shifter. Are they supposed to come with that shifter?
That depends on what you are looking at.
New or old /used?
Fleebay?
Highway boards ...no, they are only to stretch to another position on the highway once to speed then move back to riders pegs to shift /brake
Riders boards with heel /toe shifter....yes.
Not cheap if that is what you are looking for
http://www.goldwingparts.com/gl1200-goldwing-floorboards-with-heel-toe-shifter/

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
most likely the shifter itself needs to be repositioned to get the heel/toe relationship correct so it doesn't bind
probably need a pic since markland made several styles of boards and one wasn't actually designed for a shifter but was to be used with the stock shifter

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
If there is no slop in the bushing, then I imagine you could have a problem if the original shifter position would leave either the heal or the toe press position too close to the floor board. I would make sure that there is equal distance below each end to where it makes contact with the board. I had them on my 1200 for the majority of the 80,000 I put on it. It wasn't as precise as shifting without it, but was easily manageable.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Neo and oldwing99
Did you notice this is an old post with a newbie posting onto it? (Watch the date under the member in the list of posts)

And by the way DeusExMaxima
Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Neo and oldwing99
Did you notice this is an old post with a newbie posting onto it? (Watch the date under the member in the list of posts)

And by the way DeusExMaxima
Welcome to the forum.
Would you rather I start a new thread and then be told to do a search, or is it better to add to a pre-existing thread as in the present case? Thanks for the welcome.

Neo and oldwing - thanks for the info. I was looking at floorboards on fleabay but there seems to be quite a variety. I would prefer a board that utilizes the OEM shifter rather than a heel/toe shifter. I also would like highway boards. I think this bike is going to spoil me as I am used to sport touring and sport bikes. :)

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
I think they replied to the original post rather than read through all the posts before posting a reply, that happens a lot when someone posts a reply to an old post that they had nothing to do with the OP. Many times adding confusion. So to answer your question as to do you start a new topic or not, most times it would save some time to formulate a new topic as many jump before reading through an entire old post to see a new question added that is different though similar to the OP.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
So where are you located? SoCal is a mighty big area. You would be wise to change that to your city as there may come a time you want some help and someone close might offer, but a generic area as broad as you put says "I don't trust ". This is a family of people who like to help but only to those willing. There might even be someone local with a set sitting and willing to give a fair price or less. Your choice

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Me too Scott, been bit by it also.

·
Mad Maxer
209 Posts
Whether it's an old topic or a new one, it's still information on installation and adjustment of Markland floorboards and the H/T shifter. One of my favorite mods yet. Ain't broke a tranny fork yet, either.

One of the guys hit the nail right on the head (if the bushing is tight and not the issue). The original shifter position may need adjustment to allow full travel of the H/T unit. I had to futz with mine for a ride or two before I got it dialed in...

Oh, and I had to find the pedals separate from the boards. Tough to find a package - without paying big bucks. I actually have an extra set of driver boards, but no pedals.

Right click and open in a new tab. (Can't figure out why it's not displaying embedded).

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
sometimes its revelant to post even to an old thread,especially if the original poster hasn't reposted that the problem has been fixed,just imho

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.