Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Is is possible to buy just the mounting braket for the Markland heel-toe shifter anywhere? The one on my '84 Aspencade is well rusted. I can clean it up and paint it but a new chrome one would be nice. The rest of the assembly is fine.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

I understand Markland closed it's doors as far as making motorcycle aftermarket accessories about 8 or 10 years ago.. So, if you have something you want to keep, may I suggest you have the parts re-chromed. Check the web for re-chromers that you can ship your parts to and they will give you a quote. When you ship your parts for the quote, insure them for loss. I sent some carb covers to www.paulschrome.com and was very happy with the price and quality. There are many others out there that you can contact.

·
Premium Member
633 Posts
imported post

The only thing I hate about my wing,is the heal rest for the foot brake is TOO High,it is killing me the same way the heal & toe shifter did until I lowered the heal shifter,but The Markland product does not give the option of lowering it,I would think about level with the floorboard would be just right ,but this thing is 3 or more inches above it.so it has my hip killing me and I am short legged,it would be even harder on someone 6ft or taller.

Anybody got any ideas how to fix it?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
imported post

kyboy67 wrote:
The only thing I hate about my wing,is the heal rest for the foot brake is TOO High,it is killing me the same way the heal & toe shifter did until I lowered the heal shifter,but The Markland product does not give the option of lowering it,I would think about level with the floorboard would be just right ,but this thing is 3 or more inches above it.so it has my hip killing me and I am short legged,it would be even harder on someone 6ft or taller.

I had the same problem before, man my hip is killing me after each ride. But what I happen to discover is that if you rest your foot on the heel/toe shifter it definitely takes the pain away, 85%.:jumper:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

What kyboy67 said about the brake pedal. It was the main reason I got rid of the foot boards on my 1500. Yes I am 6 ft tall with 34 inseam. Never was totally comfortable riding in traffic with the brake pedestal/pedal arrangement. For me it was a disaster waiting to happen. It felt like trying to ride a motorcycle with one leg.
It was comfortable on the open road though.

·
Premium Member
2,880 Posts
imported post

If the heel part of a "heel/toe" shifter is too high, it can be extremely uncomfortable to use. The heel/toe shifter on my Vulcan is almost lever with the back of my floorboard; all I have to do is slide my foot back a little and my heel is on the shifter. Some bikes have adjustable shifters. those that don't can be cut and modified to fit if necessary.

Bernie

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I never use the heel rest on the brake side.

I added a Kuryakyn ISO peg to the bar just ahead of the boards and slightly above the level of the boards. So when I brake, the ball of my foot is on the peg and my heel does the braking. Super strong and super easy to use.

You just have to get used to doing it backwards. Same for down shifting on the other side.

Way more comfortable all around.

·
Registered
26 Posts

I adjusted the rod length out at the swivel end to lower mine some
might help you

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.