Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I Bought a 1975 GL1000 with Martek Electronic ignition. Don't know what model it is All I know is in the points area the spinning wheel is black and round with what appears to be two little round magnets opposed from each other, it slides in like a roter would . and the base part fits in where the points plate would. Its black with two round magnets also. The Power Box is mounted to the frame, its about two inches by 5 inches there are four wires that go to the Battery area a Grey one a red one and two white ones I beleive. But the grey and one white one is not hooked up and I have no spark.????????????? Any one seen one like it or know where the grey and white wires go.... Maybe a diagram of the wiring????

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I think there might be a couple of variations of the Martek. Can you post a picture of yours?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
imported post

You sure about those wire colors? I helped fit one of those Martek kits years ago and to the best of my recollection it was red wire to the coil + post, black wire to the coil - post and two other wires (green and yellow) to ground. I don't remember there being 2 white wires, but it has been 25 years since I helped with the job and my wife says I can't remember what we did last Monday.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

i've been trying to get some information about a Martek system I just found on the 1975 GL1000 ( like mzandmywing has been dealing with!!) that I bought--not running--that the seller had told me had an electronic ignition.

Anybody got Martek installation instructions, or a lead, for this system?? PLEASE!!

I've already posted this question in another thread, but felt it might get better attention in this more current thread.

Best Regards!! Cliff

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

If its lasted this long, I would bet the ignition was made to fit several model bikes, and yours doesn't need or have a place for those wires.,,

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
imported post

One these old Martek units, one 4 wire harness goes to the trigger unit, the other 4 wire harness is wired with usual Honda colors: black - ignition power, green - ground, the remaining two (red,yellow) connect to the 2 coils neg sides. Try connecting them to coils randomly and if you get nothing but backfiring, connect the other way.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

okay!...... I agree with the Martekwire colors' matchup information you've given me. THANKS!!

Is the GL1000's ignition system ballast resistor by-passed, or does it remain- untouched- in circuit? Neither the 440, nor the1000YT instructionsmentions or illustrates thatthere's a ballast resistor to be addressed in those systems.

I'm very appreciative of your help!

Cliff

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.