Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I use MMO in my cars to replace a quart of oil, on occasion. I've found that it has some good properties, when added to oil, to reduce internal varnishing and keep oil journals clear.

My question is - is something like MMO safe for a motorcycle engine - where the clutch is inclusive to the oil system? I have a GL-1200 that has a sticky lifter and I'd love to give it an MMO treatment instead of disassembly/cleaning. (Yes, I'm lazy). I just don't want to hurt the clutch as that is an engine-out procedure for the GL.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Hate to leave you sitting here. Sorry don't use the stuff myself but I got the impression from some that do that it isn't a problem.

I'll let the actual users pipe in and tell you the details and how much they use safely.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

MMO or Seafoam in the crankcase will do the trick as far as cleaning the sticky lifter. Put either brand in, run a couple hundred miles then do an oil and filter change.

Not only will the lifter get cleaned but also the clutch plates and trans gears for smoother shifting.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

With MMO, do I simply substitute a quart with it, or some other "weaker" blend?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

rgbeard wrote:
Not sure, I don't use it, I use the Seafoam.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
rgbeard wrote:
Not sure, I don't use it, I use the Seafoam.
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1: Me too. :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

How much Seafoam should be used in the crankcase?

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

papabee49 wrote:
Instructions on the can!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

papabee49 wrote:
I''m not a big fan of things being added to the oil and crankcase except oil but if I did use it I'd use about a cup. Run it about 100 miles and dump the batch.

·
Premium Member
1,846 Posts
imported post

Thanks Bagmaster, next time I make a head call I'll look on the can.:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

When I bought my GL1100 about a year ago I could not see thru the sight glass even after a couple of oil changes. I bought a container of MMO and changed the oil using 1/2 qt of MMO. I ran that for approx 100 miles then repeated the same operation and ran that for 100 miles or so. When I changed the oil the 3rd time using just the recommended oil, the sight glass was very visable and looked like new. When running the MMO mixture for the 100 miles make sure keep out of high RPMs.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
imported post

I have used MMO in different situations and it does the trick as advertised for freeing up sticky lifters but it shouldn't be left in too long..

Smells really great too!!:D:D:D

·
Disfunctional Nimatode
3,381 Posts
imported post

I did my 1200 last year when I bought it. Sucked 1 qt of oil out with my electric oil pump and poured in 1 qt MMO. Ran the mix for a week and changed it out. Has no friction modifiers and cleaned up everything very well it seems. I use shell rotella 15-40 with good results.

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

My GL1000 engine with 35000 miles and my CX500 engine with 102000 miles are super clean inside with no additives used. I just use Valvoline car oil and change it about every 3000 miles. On my bikes MMO would just be an unnecessary added expense.

Q

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Q wrote:
My GL1000 engine with 35000 miles and my CX500 engine with 102000 miles are super clean inside with no additives used. I just use Valvoline car oil and change it about every 3000 miles. On my bikes MMO would just be an unnecessary added expense.

Q
That is because you have done you're job on maintenance.:)I would love to buy a bike from someone like you ;)

unfortunately most of the bikes I have aquired were seriously neglected by previous owners. One of the first things I do is a case flush. 3 quarts of cheap oil and 1 quart of MMO. If after a hundred miles or so it comes out nasty then do it again. As mentioned go easy on the rpm's as this will dilute the lubrication properties of your oil while the mix is in. This is also a great fix for sticking starter clutch issues.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I also use it in my gasoline. About 1oz. per gallon. It helps keep the carbs from sticking. Works Well.
nightrider

·
Premium Member
753 Posts
imported post

Based on what I learned from this forum. I replaced all of the oil and replaced a qt of oil for a qt of MMO and ran my 85 GL1200 for 300 miles when I first bought then changed it to the good stuff.
It cleaned up all the junk that the PO did not take care of

I honestly need to do it in the 88GL1500 just for giggles, but I think the honda shop replaced my oil last winter when they redid the carbs.. I hope.

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

I always go by the kiss program. If it ain't broke, don't try to fix it, but always do your regular inspections, replacements, changes, and log them. It's a good, sound practice, and will give you a lot of peace of mind.
nightrider1

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

My brother had a 77 gl1000 hat thad 165k on it when he sold it and it was a cherry! 15 1st place trophys @ Americade bike shows for the 1000 class. Anyways he would carry a zip lock bag full of 2oz. motel shampoo bottels with MMO in them and every gas fill up he would pour in 1 bottle. Like Nightrider1 said , keeps the carb slides from sticking.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,687 Posts
imported post

For the Sea Foam, half a can to the existing oil in the crankcase works just fine. Run 200 to 300 miles and dump the oil.

For the MMO, I suck a quart old oil out, replace with a quart of MMO. Run that for about 300 miles and dump the oil.

Both work wonders. Both used as a PM additive work great and as mentioned, about 2 oz per tank.

I'm one of the braver ones, I just dump a 1/2 can of Sea Foam to the tank every other tank or so. Fixes and keeps those carbs clean :)

1988 Dodge Shadow. My sister gave it to me back in March last year. It had set for 3 years, never started.

Bought a new battery for it. Two weeks before I bought the battery, I dumped in two full cans of Sea Foam in the gas tank and one full can in the crankcase.

When I got around to starting the car (waiting for temps to get above -20*F :) ) it ran pretty rough.

After a couple hundred miles, the engine started getting a lot smoother. Sea Foam to the rescue again.

Changed out all the fluids, new hoses, new radiator, new water pump, new timing belt and gaskets.

New Car! again... :D Oh, it only had 30,500 miles on it. No one ever drove the thing much.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.