Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Others have used it here. Do a search.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Go to the Forum Search bar(lower right side of main forum pages below Personal Messages) and type in MMO or Marvel Mystery Oil in gas tank, click search this forum only and then click search.

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
imported post

Years ago we used to have Marvel Mystery Oil injectors on automobile as add ons. Was basically just a jar that had a hose run from the top of the screw on lid to a vacumn fitting on the intake. There was another hose that went from a small filter screen on top of the lid and there was a hose that went down into the oil in the jar and bubbled out of a bubbler piece. It has a "aquarium valve" on the line that went to the bottom of the jar. When the engine was running you adjusted the valve so that there was a small amount of bubbles coming up thru the MMO. As outside air was drawn thru the bubbler the air picked up a little oil vapor and was sucked into the intake.

Later we used the same principle to inject a water/alcohol mixture into the intakes of the engines with the beginnings of the polution control systems. That would smooth out the idle of most of them.

We also injected water/alcohol into the intakes of turbocharged engines to cool the intake charge and get the advantage of having water vapor in the intake flow. Water getting into the fuel/air charge had the effect of cooling the combustion, preventing ping/knock and you gained some more push on the piston because water expands 17 times when converted to steam. Every little bit of expansion in the cyl. helps.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

monkeytrucker wrote:
Later we used the same principle to inject a water/alcohol mixture into the intakes of the engines with the beginnings of the polution control systems. That would smooth out the idle of most of them.

We also injected water/alcohol into the intakes of turbocharged engines to cool the intake charge and get the advantage of having water vapor in the intake flow. Water getting into the fuel/air charge had the effect of cooling the combustion, preventing ping/knock and you gained some more push on the piston because water expands 17 times when converted to steam. Every little bit of expansion in the cyl. helps.
That's what we pay for in our ethanol laced gas now. Water and alcohol.

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

I put about 2 ounces every few tanks, I had a bad rust problem i had to remove from my tank and heard it coats the inside of the tank and helps lube the inner works of the carbs.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

If it makes you feel good, go ahead. It most likely won't hurt anything.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
imported post

IT'S GOOD STUFF. I USE IT IN MY BIKES AND MOWERS, AND HAVE BEEN DOING IT FOR YEARS.

·
Premium Member
3,267 Posts
imported post

When I had the 1100 I would put some MMO in about every other tank of gas. It seemed to help keep the carb slides working better. If I forgot to use it for a while it would start running kind of bad... had a flutter sound at light throttle settings. Put some more MMO in the tank and it would clear up.

I haven't used any in this 1500 yet. I do put a little Seafoam in the tank every now and then though just to keep things cleaned up.

·
Premium Member
1,061 Posts
imported post

Duckster wrote:
It, MMO, must be a great product as it has been on the market since 1923. A lot of it is sold here at the AutoZone and Dollar General.
Not to steal the thread, but simply as a observation, it also works well in air tools to keep 'em clean and water free.

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
imported post

Have used in for 11 yrs. in our '95 SE. It keeps engine valve train lubed. When I bought old car with a badly sticking valve, one pint of MMO in oil freed valve and it NEVER stuck again in the years I owned car....papasmurf

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.