Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

what isin Marvels Mystery Oil ? i have used it many years in the gas and oil for my hot rods , and i use it in the gas for my bikes , but i have put it in the oil of my night hawk , the clutch slipping so i figured it wouldn't hurt , after about 50 miles the clutch quit slipping, what is this stuff , its a mystery to me ? ;)

·
Senior Moment Member
3,707 Posts
imported post

MSDS Link

Marvel Mystery Oil MSDS

blackstone-labs.com/newsletter This one covers "Is that Addative really a Negative"

Here is a small excerpt out of it.....

"Detergents and Solvents
Many of the older, better-known oil treatments on the market do not make claims nearly so lavish as the new
upstarts. Old standbys like Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil, instead offer things like "quieter
lifters," "reduced oil burning" and a "cleaner engine." Most of these products are made up of solvents and
detergents designed to dissolve sludge and carbon deposits inside your engine so they can be flushed or
burned out. Wynn's Friction Proofing Oil, for example, is 83 percent kerosene. Other brands use
naphthalene, xylene, acetone and isopropanol. Usually, these ingredients will be found in a base of standard
mineral oil."

"All of these products will strip sludge and deposits out and clean up your engine, particularly if it is an older,
abused one . The problem is, unless you have some way of determining just how much is needed to remove
your deposits without going any further, such solvents also can strip away the boundary lubrication layer
provided by your oil. Overuse of solvents is an easy trap to fall into, and one which can promote harmful
metal-to-metal contact within your engine.
As a general rule of thumb these products had their place and were at least moderately useful on older
automobile and motorcycle engines of the Fifties and Sixties, but are basically unneeded on the more
efficient engine designs of the past few decades."

Knowledge is a great thing...Being able to access the knowledge of others on the internet is amazing!!!

Henry

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

MMO ,BENZENE, 1,2-DICHLORO- ??? so it is pure poison ? thanks for the info , i looked forever and could not find what it was made of , don't guess i will be using anymore of it ?

·
Premium Member
8,242 Posts
imported post

Hanko wrote:
MSDS Link

Marvel Mystery Oil MSDS

blackstone-labs.com/newsletter This one covers "Is that Addative really a Negative"

Here is a small excerpt out of it.....

"Detergents and Solvents
Many of the older, better-known oil treatments on the market do not make claims nearly so lavish as the new
upstarts. Old standbys like Bardahl, Rislone and Marvel Mystery Oil, instead offer things like "quieter
lifters," "reduced oil burning" and a "cleaner engine." Most of these products are made up of solvents and
detergents designed to dissolve sludge and carbon deposits inside your engine so they can be flushed or
burned out. Wynn's Friction Proofing Oil, for example, is 83 percent kerosene. Other brands use
naphthalene, xylene, acetone and isopropanol. Usually, these ingredients will be found in a base of standard
mineral oil."

"All of these products will strip sludge and deposits out and clean up your engine, particularly if it is an older,
abused one . The problem is, unless you have some way of determining just how much is needed to remove
your deposits without going any further, such solvents also can strip away the boundary lubrication layer
provided by your oil. Overuse of solvents is an easy trap to fall into, and one which can promote harmful
metal-to-metal contact within your engine.
As a general rule of thumb these products had their place and were at least moderately useful on older
automobile and motorcycle engines of the Fifties and Sixties, but are basically unneeded on the more
efficient engine designs of the past few decades."

Knowledge is a great thing...Being able to access the knowledge of others on the internet is amazing!!!

Henry
Hanko is correct, a little bit of Marvel in older engines is a good thing. I use a tiny bit of it each spring in my chain saw. It does have its uses.

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I remember using 25% kerosese in the crankcase of all my motors years ago. I'd drain some oil out, add kerosene & run the motor for about 30 minutes & then change the oil [about once a year] ... worked great.

I still do the same with gas [in spring] & oil [in fall] annually, but with a small amount of Seafoam. Bike, cars, lawnmowers, etc. I guess it helps. :?

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

i did that for years on the farm popeye on the old tractors you only serviced once every year or two if they were lucky really cleaned out the crank case's goop out

·
Premium Member
90 Posts
imported post

first time i tried Marvel Mystery oil was in the gas for my 1500 wing at about 80,000 miles

after the first tank of gas there was a noticeable improvement in starting and throttle response, i liked it and used it a couple times per year after that

also use it in the gas for my 17 horse John Deere lawnmower, if i don't use it after a couple tanks of gas it starts smoking and looses power, add Marvel Mystery oil and the problems go away

·
Premium Member
488 Posts
imported post

Well I use it on every third fill up on my truck. I dump 1qt in each tank and it helps the mileage of my diesel go from about 6.5 to 7.0. I have used that or a qt of atf dextron type for about fifteen years. I was told about it by a truck Mech when I had an injector acting up. It would cost over 500. bucks to replace that injector. The mech said try it and see ifit helps and it did. Have used it every since. Was told it is a great upper cylinder lube for my 600bhp cat motor. Never had an injector act up again.

·
Premium Member
3,200 Posts
imported post

Randakk mentions MMO favorably. I use it in my '84 Aspy. We also use it quite a bit in the 16 cylinder diesels we have in our offshore vessels. Stuff's been around forever. I also notice a better throttle response, easier idle, etc. when I use it.

Randakk mentions that using 4 oz. of MMO in a tank of gas will also help retard corrosion inside the fuel tank.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip57.htm

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.