Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, I'm shaking my head after reading that message title, too!

I recently finished changing the rear tire on a 1984 GL1200 Aspencade. (Sheesh, so much work!)
When I buttoned things up and took it for a ride, I noticed a large amount of oil coming out of the engine. It appears to be coming from the output shaft. When putting the drive shaft back in place, there were a few false starts to get it lined up with the u-joint in there. So I guess I dinged things up, or pushed the seal out of place?

Can I get to the output shaft seal without pulling the engine? I'm wondering if I nudged the seal out of place, and I just need to nudge it back?

·
Registered
86 Posts
Why would you have to mess with a driveshaft to replace a tire? You should be able to pull the boot back to inspect thr seal.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,484 Posts
One would almost have to work hard at doing that I think? The U-joint front yoke's end can only get near any seal on the output shaft after it has already fully engaged the splines in total.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Solved

Yeah, I was wondering if something could be putting stress on that seal. Can't think what it might be.

Did you replace the driveshaft seal? Are you sure it's motor oil that's leaking?
Dennis, your suspicions were correct. It wasn't motor oil.
Turns out the seal on the shaft going into the final drive on the rear wheel somehow got tweaked slightly. One edge of the seal was curled up just enough. I put a replacement in, buttoned everything back up, and no more leak. (It took me a long time to get motivated to take a real hard look at it. When bike #2 is still running, I find less motivation to work on bike #1.) Anyway, this 'Wing is now back on the road....just long enough for me to drive it to a shop. Right now it's a death-trap. The front forks are leaking onto the brake pads, and I have no stopping power. I've tried doing fork seals in the past on a Silverwing, and I failed miserably. So I'm going to punt on this one and have someone else do it.
But anyway, I just wanted to close the loop on this leak issue. It's solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts