Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

MASSIVE glugging when taking off on gl1000

3K views 30 replies 11 participants last post by  Matt G 
#1 ·
imported post

Thought we had our bike running and ready to go. Went and had carbs synced hoping it would improve the gas mileage. well it didnt. Now when we start from a complete stop like a stop sign or signal, the bike is doing a "glugging" (what I like to call it). It hesitates and acts like it wants to stall out when starting.

Any suggestions on where to start?

#27 ·
imported post

I saw a picture about a year ago on this site about why you don't want an aftermarket float needle. The close up picture showed the chrome flaking off. I'm sure it could plug an orifice or two. Yeah 80 miles aint right. Do you smell unburned gas when it's running. Might be a float stuck down at the bottom of the bowl and just dumping into the intake. Good Luck

#28 ·
imported post

jshinklin wrote:
johnnynogood wrote:
Sure is alot of rebuilding going on. I just pull em apart clean out all the junk, put a new fuel filter on,synchronize, and that's about it. I've got a set of four off my '81 sitting pretty in a bag.
I am hoping when he pulls them off its just clean, fuel filter and synch but I am thinkin that with only get 80 miles from a full tank of gas we are way beyond just cleaning.
Mine started off about that bad. Since then I've had them apart about 4 or 5 times. A kit would be great peace of mind but since I can't afford that I've just cleaned everything well. After getting rid of the float and needle issues (cleaning fixed that) the greatest issue I have is the idle circuit(s). The holes are minute and block easily. I still have some junk in there that I haven't found yet.

#29 ·
imported post

A high school friend runs a motorcycle shop in Houston and he says Techron does a world of good for these old machines. I told that I've used Sea Foam (And lets not get started on that) and he said he only uses that in his boat. But I use the Techron now until I read or here otherwise.

#30 ·
imported post

jshinklin wrote:
dingdong wrote:
The advice you're getting here is all good. Buy the Randakk kit and go to service honda for the float valves. Pretty good discount. Easier if you have the honda part number.

http://www.servicehonda.com
service honda doesnt sell them for 1000, only go back to 1980 and ours is a 79
That is incorrect. I have purchased them as recently as a month ago from service honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.