Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I would like to upgrade the front master cylinder on my 83i. I have unlinked the brakes and feel like I could use more volume. Can any body suggest a later model master cyl?
Jay

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

You could go to a slightly earlier master cylinder since the 80-82 1100s had unlinked brakes.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
You could go to a slightly earlier master cylinder since the 80-82 1100s had unlinked brakes.
I was hoping for later model. All of the ones around here need a complete redo including a new reservoir. For the same money, I would like to upgrade. Jay

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I don't know the output volume of the different 'Wing models front master cylinders but it would seem the '83 on might be a bit less than the earlier models due to the linked brakes. I suspect the GL1000 front master has the largest output becausethe calipers both used large dual opposing pistons that are larger than later model calipers. Perhaps you could use a master from a bike other than a 'Wing that has unlinked brakes and has a 7/8" diameter handlebar.

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

I have been thinking about a later model sport bike style master cylinder. I like the look and I think the divorced reservior would be easier to adapt to the handle bar angle. I do not like it when you can not fill the reservior to its limits.
The only real question is how not to over volume or pressure the calipers. Resulting in no lever travel or twitchy brakes.I am not wholly sure that a caliper and rotor upgrade wouldn't
really be useful. I haven't been impressed with the front brakes. I hope that adding a different master cylinder will boost performance. Jay

·
Premium Member
580 Posts
imported post

Check out the Ebay replacement unit. I don't know anything about it except what is listed. The photo shows it mounted on a GL1100. See link below.

New chrome master cylinder

John

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.