Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

I am new to this Forum and am impressed with the quality of the content. I have just bought the GL1200 as a Winter project. There is a lot to do. I felt dealing with the brakes first would at least allow me to stop the bike when I move it!

I am trying to remove the Master Cylinder. I have removed all fitments except the brake pipes.

Does anyone know how to get them off. I have tried a 10 mm spanner but am in danger of rounding off the heads.

Any suggestions would be most useful.

PS I have soaked them with Plus Gas

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the message board Rasputin. Do you mean the rear master cylinder under the side panel, or the equaliser valve under the forks? If its the EQ valve, you will probably have to use a vicegrips to get astart on the nuts and then a spanner to finish off. :waving:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Hi Joe

Thanks for the quick reply. It's the rear master cylinder. I didn't know about the equaliser valve. Are there any seals etc in it?

Regards

·
Premium Member
805 Posts
imported post

Recommend you visit the local tool store and buy specific tubing wrenches, they have a slot for the tubing and grip all sides of the nut.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
imported post

Rasputin, Just done the same job on my bike the tool you should use is called a "brake pipe flare nut wrench" and try not to round the nut it really does make the job a lot harder it also helps if you remove the plastic resevoir feed tube one small crosshead screw and prise it out this will give you a bit more elbow room at the master cylinder. Tas

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

you might want to try a lot of penetrating oil and some heat that what I had to do on my 86 Aspy then the vice grip

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

generally, they are a pain in the... you know where. and you cannot get the pre-made pipes from honda (or at least one for the rear brake) so if you bugger them, you will need to make your own or have a machine shop do it for you.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Thanks for the advice. Never heard of such a beast but will attempt to get one.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

A vicegrips with the jaws wrapped in electrical or masking tape works for me and never damages the nut.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Thanks Ted I'll give it a go.

Regards

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I certainly will. I have booked the weekend with 'the BOSS' to deal with the braking issues on the Wing. Come what may I WILL have brakes by close of play Sunday?

:weightlifter:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

MANY THANKS to all who helped with this problem. I have now fixed the brakes and all is well - on the brake front anyway! I managed to remove the master cylinder and found the seals were in perfect condition. The problem was the linkage to the front right hand caliper. Once bled everything fell into place. I renewed the all the seals on all calipers and the brakes are now fine.

Once again thanks

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.