Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Maximum weight capacity U.S.A type: 189 kg (417 lbs) per the Service Manual.
This means passengers plus cargo?
How do you add heavier passengers and/or cargo safely?:shock:

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

I do not remember exactly and too lazy to look it up but it is right at 400 pounds, passengers and cargo. With something like max load in the trunk and saddlebags being 20/22 pounds.

I see a whole lot of bikes though way over this, never seems to cause a problem.

Kit

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Okay I was a dummie, I see you posted the weight load, I was just going off memory.

This to me has always been a concern, and yes I do see the bikes overloaded all the time. Not trying to insult anyone, but I see folks riding two up, both two hundred or better pounds in weight, that alone exceeds the load capacity of the bike. Then you load the storage bags up, tie on a tent or more junk on a luggage rack, and add a trailer too. For the most part folks get away with this , I see it all the time, but occasionally they do not get away with it, a brand new tire in good condition occasionally gives it up, with serious results sometimes.

Heavy load, high speed, slight leak in tire, low pressure, heat builds up and uh oh.

Kit

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

You could always do like my flight instructor had to do with a heavy friend of my. When they flew in his 150 Cessna, they would only carry a 1/4 tank of fuel!! :cheeky1:

Every time I travel with my 1200 loaded up, I know that it's overloaded. I've been tempted to pull into a weigh station to see just how bad.

Check the tires closely. Before and during the trip. Get used to the "feel" of your bike.

On our trip to Calhoun, I had the rear start going flat, but felt it and pulled over before it went flat. It still had 25lbs in it.

The other thing I always do as I pull onto the Interstate and accelerate up to speed,,,

Ask the "Big Biker" in the sky to let me have a safe trip.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.