Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

May be buying a Goldwing this coming Sunday / Monday. it is a 1984 1100cc with full fairings. I have a 2004 v-rod right now but am looking for a solid interstate cruiser.

It seems like an amazingly good bike. it can pull trailers and go on seriously long trips (from what I hear). Can anyone tell me more about their experiences with their goldwings? is it as solid a interstate cruiser as I think it is?

·
Still a winger at heart.
20,868 Posts
imported post

Good for you, you will love the wing. One comment, if its an 84, its a 1200. If it is actually 1100, it has to be 80-83. Post a pic, and we'll help you sort it out!

Its a great site, its good to have you here!

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum from Kansas!!! :waving:

I hope you find the Forum as informative and as much fun as we do!!:cooldevil:

Again, Welcome Aboard!!
:action:

To answer your question...IMHO, The answer is Yes! I travel all over the country with mine and I love it! I pull a trailer and mostly two up on most trips and I have a lot of fun with no issues with the bike.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I don't know what it is about the Goldwing that interests me so much. I am HUGE into cruising. This bike seems like an amazingly good value. I mean a 1200cc bike (it is an '84) that can go for hours in total comfort...can't be beat. I think the idea of cruising with my girl to the coast or whatever is such a pleasing idea.

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

I have an 82 GL 1100 I. I have done some seriously long days pulling a loaded trailer over many consecutive seriously big mountains. Me and the bike were both very happy. Buy it. Treat her nice. ( this includes riding the @###%@%# out of it ) You won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
4,040 Posts
imported post

1200's are great bikes Make sure you check the charging system before buying it AND if you do buy change the belts ASAP
lots of info on both here on site

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

frook wrote:
I don't know what it is about the Goldwing that interests me so much. I am HUGE into cruising. This bike seems like an amazingly good value. I mean a 1200cc bike (it is an '84) that can go for hours in total comfort...can't be beat. I think the idea of cruising with my girl to the coast or whatever is such a pleasing idea.
To me cruising is going out for a few hours to get bit of wind in the face. With the wing it's more like have breakfast and see where you end up at sundown.

All of the wings are solid bikes but each has it's idiosyncrasies. The short list on all of them is to change the timing belts if there is any doubt and on the 1200 make sure the stator has been hard wired. There's lots of info on the tech section of the site.

Neither of the above fixesare expensive especially if you can swing a wrench.

Enjoy. Nothing beats riding along on awing , reaching back every once in a while to pat the leg of your sweetie just to let her know how great life can be.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Just understand...they're old bikes and need a fair amount of mechanical knowledge to keep them running right. Parts break and wear out simply from age.

Hopefully yours doesn't require a carb clean/overhaul like mine did.

If I were you, I'd be looking at a 1500, if not an 1800.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Yeah I figured they would need a lot of monkey-wrenching. I am lucky in that I have a lot of experience building / working on both cars and bikes. Unless it entails porting and polishing...I'm good.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

Bite your toung Chris..

When I owned an 1100 everyone told me to go for a 1200, Now everyone tells me the stator issues and that owning an 1100 or a 1500 would suit me better.
My Baby blue in the driveway is hurt by your comment. She has done very well so far.

I only rode 2 up once on a shadow 3 years ago and I swore to never ride 2 up again. I am heavy and the wife wasnt too slender and the ride was horrible.

I just went with my daughter for the first time today. We were supposed to go for 20 min and ended up into a 5 hour trip. HEY NOBIE. I did reach back but it was to make sure she was still back there. My other bikes had the pass hugging me for life and today my daughter just sat back and enjoyed the ride.

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

When you do buy a wing, you will find that there are other items that you must have to go with it:

Maps/ GPS

Camping gear,, tent, sleeping bag, stove, and so on.

You will be looking for roads that go farther then you ever thought you would.

Welcome to the forum and be sure to come back often. There NO dumb questions here.

But you might get a few silly answers:dude:

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

lol...nice. I have a car GPS I don't need anymore. I guess I could probably mount it on my bike when I get it.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
imported post

welcome. These guys are great for questions. You won't regret your purchase. I am partial to my 1100 but it seems that whatever you get is the model that you will prefer in a very short time. I may be speaking out of turn but I don't think many people would trade their wing for a different model. Add to the collection...yes.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Hey Frook, I live in Batesville Indiana and work in Cincy (Blueash).

I just got a 99 Goldwing SE 4 weeks ago and I'll tell you now that it is definetly different.
I have an 05 VTX 1300 R and love riding it and scrapping the floorboards (twistys).

The VTX seems to want to drive straight up where as the Wing seems to have so much of the weight (engine) spread out that it is real sensitive when steering.

It also so makes it harder to balance when going slow.

I love the trunk and the radio on the Wing and just figure I'll have to get use to the difference in the way the 2 bikes handle.

My wife has MS so not only did a trailer come with the Wing so we can haul her electric scooter(s), I also built a frame that hooks onto the trailer hitch so we can take her wheel chair with us all the time.

On the VTX I've been carrying her into resturants when we stop to eat on longer rides.

Glad to see another peson close to home on here.

·
Premium Member
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Hoosier,

Well, whenever I pull the trigger, you can show me some fun routes. Cool? I am 110% sure me and my girl would love to have another couple who knows the roads to ride with.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Here ya go, a 1200 built to travel with anything. Belongs to 82gl1100wingman in Ft. Worth, Texas. That's him next to it and my wife in the background.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

I got my 81 GL1100 several years ago. Because it is old and because I am not rich I do most of the work on it myself. This website has been the greatest source of information I could have ever imagined. I was never much of a grease monkey but I found I love wrenching on my bike. I have also purchased just last year a 2008 GL1800 but I still love the 1100 and took it out just the other night for a great ride. You will love it.

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Hello frook and a big warm welcome to the site from over this side of the Pond. :waving:

I suspect many members will see your post and immediately reflect on when they were in the same position as you, contemplating their first Wing and wondering if it was the right thing to do. Just to have arrived at the point when you think you might enjoy the pleasure of owning a Wing is good, this is a fine start and like most of us you will likely as not go on for many years of Wing ownership.

My own experience of owning Wings is one of pleasure, be it away touring with the trailer hitched up, fully loaded with camping gear, or perhaps touring without, but rather staying in hotels.

There are other sides too, on the days when the sun is out, but the shopping has to be done, what better way than to jump on the Wing together, knowing that you probably have easy parking at the stores and that she will hold about a weeks worth of groceries.

Generally speaking we don't all have very long holiday time and thus riding a Wing needs to be for fun days out too and this is another thing they are good for. The rain suits can be just tossed in the panniers and away you go, witha few $/£ in your pocket for fuel and food.

Lots of the members on here use their Wings for daily transport to and from work and what better way to start and end your working day than with a long or short ride on a bike.

You are looking at buying an older Wing, but then you say you are a competent mechanic, there fore a Wing should not prove daunting to you, since they are not really any different mechanically to deal with than any other bike and the older ones are simpler to deal with than the younger ones.

Unless you twist the throttle too hard, you should expect a fuel return of somewhere nearing 40mpg so if you can live with that she won't cost much more to run day to day.

A Wing is not for everyone and for all I know you may hate it, but the chances are very high that you won't and this will just be the start of a long love affair.
:kissing:
Feel free to ask any questions that you might have and enjoy the forums when you aren't out riding the bike.

:waving::waving:

( oh, one last thing.... Wings are very difficult to clean and I have found that ladies do it best,(slim fingers)so if you can encourage the wife to do it, so much the better!!! :cooldevil::cooldevil:)

·
Premium Member
10,253 Posts
imported post

I'll add my .05 cents worth here too....I bought my 1982 Gold Wing Interstate over a year ago, but due to some health issues, and trying to restore it, it has been a long road...I am beginning to see a light at the end of a long tunnel...My first ride on my "new" Gold Wing was a disaster... I trailered it home and my first ride was a very spooky ride...The front tire was cupped really bad and my first low speed corner almost caused me to lose it....Plus the rear caliper took that moment to blow out!!!! I was not a happy camper....I took it back to where i bought it and they "fixed it" yeah right....The next ride only went three blocks before the rear brakes blew out again....Will I buy another bike from that dealer???? Not in this life time nor the next....I feel like I got ripped off....and I did...Lesson Learned !!!!

Now over a year later I am at this point, I am wanting to ride it !!!! I am beginning to chomp at the bits....I have changed timing belts, sweated a lot on my first re start, but it was OK. Started right up and purred like a kitten.... Mine is an 1100 so to check the oil, I had to as almost every 1100 owner lay down next to it to check the oil....Not any more I installed an after market dip stick...Then I ordered ALL new cables, choke, both throttle cables, clutch cable, speedometer cable, and tach cable....Good thing too because the choke cable was frozen, the pull cable on the throttle was badly worn and the speedo cable was broken.......After I got all new master cylinder kits and caliper kits and pads installed.....I found out that not only does the rear brake line leak, but one of the front lines has collapsed inside..So I'm looking for new brake lines.....Yup Yup and 2 new tires too......

I also decided that after a closer look at the paint the PO had put on it was peeling, cracking, and flaking off, to re paint it..That has turned into a nightmare for sure...I had just given up at one point and was ready to just buy a newer Wing and part mine out, but as I said I'm begging to see a light and in the next few weeks ALL my painted parts are getting a super custom paint job, courtesy of my youngest brother....

Don't use mine as a bad example of buying an older Wing, but as an example of someone that was not a member here first and didn't have all these guys helping me in what to look for and what not to buy.....So will I buy another Wing???? .....Yes I will, maybe a newer one and because as a member of this forum, I now have a better understanding of what to look for and what to avoid if possible.... Like I said ....Lesson Learned the hard way!!!!!

Welcome to the Forum....

Claude.....

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Frook,

There a lot of GREAT roads in Indiana with lots of beautiful scenery with some of the best ones being down along the Ohio river.

There is one great road for curves that goes from Batesville to Metamora and we usually end up in Brookville along the lake somewhere.

There are a lot of great roads on the ridge line above Rising Sun too.
I love to ride them while we camp down at Little Farm on the River.

I have an 8' x 10' that I tow behind my travel trailer so I can take on toys with me camping.

My e-mail address is [email protected] me a message.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.