Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

May sound silly but, I am looking for a way to realistically and fairly accuratley send a projectile (rock, marble, ball bearing, whatever) at a test piece of fiberglass to simulate road trash. i.e. kicked up from a tire or off that dang dump truck. Something around 40 - 60 mph.

Anybody have any thoughts?

Thanks

Pat

·
Premium Member
3,467 Posts
imported post

2' piece of 1/2" sch 40PVC pipe capped at one end with a hole drilled/tapped in the capto accept an air fitting/shut-off valve. Wrap the projectile loosly in some paper towels for a "sabot", hook the air line up, aim,and Fire.... Start at about 10psi and go from there!

·
Premium Member
826 Posts
imported post

I don't remember what they're called, but shooters have a device to measure bullet speed. Might be of use when you find what to throw the projectile with. At least give you an accurate speed.
Slingshot comes to mind.

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

well a rock, marble or ball bearing your just gonna make a muzzle loader

what exactly are you trying to do again?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Yea, It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye!

I'm tellin yer mom.

;)

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

60 MPH is 88 Feet per second. Major league pitcher can throw that so a moderate slingshot would get you the speed you are looking for.

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

dwsonar wrote:
I don't remember what they're called, but shooters have a device to measure bullet speed. Might be of use when you find what to throw the projectile with. At least give you an accurate speed.
Slingshot comes to mind.
A chronograph. If you have any archers or shooters in your area, they may be able to help you out.

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

nightwizard40 wrote:
dwsonar wrote:
Slingshot comes to mind.
A chronograph. If you have any archers or shooters in your area, they may be able to help you out.
I have a chronograph but it will not read anything that slow. It needs at least 200 FPS to be able to capture the speed. Somehow it ignores other stuff as part of the error prevention built into it.

·
Premium Member
3,857 Posts
imported post

Why Fiberglass?

·
Premium Member
1,653 Posts
imported post

Make a bracket so your fibreglasstest piece sticks out from the side of a vehicle.

Put the projectile on a cardboard box so it is about a foot off the ground and aligned with the test piece. Drive at it and whack it at the desired speed........easy!

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

DougW wrote:
nightwizard40 wrote:
dwsonar wrote:
Slingshot comes to mind.
I have a chronograph but it will not read anything that slow. It needs at least 200 FPS to be able to capture the speed. Somehow it ignores other stuff as part of the error prevention built into it.
You have a point there Doug, with the speed of arrows even coming off a re curve bow is going to be well over 200 fps. I wonder if one of the handheld radar's used for baseball games would work. Would not give FPS, but would give MPH. If it would pick up something as small as a ball bearing or rock:?

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Wow ... you guys are good. :bow:Threw this up and come back later ... reminded me of the filter hack scene in Apollo 13.:applause:

Anyway, should have been less criptic. I am going to try a fiberglass body on a trailer and just want to run some tests to see how thin I can get away with. I have seen tests with a dead weight dropped 30 feet. The moderate or hard hammer blow is ever popular. I just wanted to see if someone could come up with a way to help mequantify debris damage on the road. I'm not talking about broad-siding a deer or dead on into the Jersey barrier. Gravel, a branch, maybe a chunk of road gator.

Thanks all ... I'll let you know what I come up with.

Seriously ... read through this again ... you all sound like a pack of NASA engineers on you're 15th coke. :ROFL: "Drive at it an whack it" :ROFL::ROFL:

·
Premium Member
5,106 Posts
imported post

for a good fiberglass body to withstand most road debris 1/4 inch is sufficient for the body 3/8 for the fenders coat the underchassis with the spray on bed liner stuff to help soften the blow

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

I have a chronograph for my paintball guns, but I'm also unsure if it will read that slow, 88 FPS. Paintball guns are usually set around 300 FPS.

John

·
Premium Member
5,713 Posts
imported post

jpelmer wrote:
... you all sound like a pack of NASA engineers on you're 15th coke. :ROFL: "Drive at it an whack it" :ROFL::ROFL:
Just wait until the favorite "mixer" gets put in the coke....that's when it will get fun:blackstuff:

·
Premium Member
1,790 Posts
imported post

As mentioned before, a slingshot should handle the job nicely.

·
Premium Member
2,445 Posts

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

How about dropping the object from a fixed height. 32 ft. per second per second would give you the rate of speed. Some Isaac Newton Gravity Theory or some such.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.