Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

saw this on NGW and thought I would share this

Apparently others suffer from this. I found this on Cranky Frankie's Site.

MULTIPLE BIKE SYNDROME

On the eve of picking up my 8th motorcycle, it’s probably about time to admit that I suffer from MBS – Multiple Bike Syndrome. In fact, I envy anyone who can run just one motorcycle. My buddy Floydie does it, and he somehow manages to keep up with us, mostly, on his GL1500, but it seems to me that owning one bike would be like owning one pair of shoes. I mean, you need your dress shoes, running shoes, hiking boots, sandals, slippers, waders, etc. – you get the drift.

Since I know some of you have MBS as well (indeed, I know at least two 50+ and one 100+ bike owners personally), I figured it might be interesting to compare MBS to PMS, since both are somewhat pervasive and can be a problem to live with. Shall we?

IRRITABILITY – No doubt MBS and PMS can make the sufferer irritable. I agonized for weeks over which bike to get to augment my well-used Norton Commando. You think it’s easy poring over magazines, web sites, and email lists trying to sort out the pros and cons of countess different worthy motorcycles that have been made in the last twenty or thirty years? It’s almost impossible to keep your cigar lit and not spill your Port if you aren’t careful. Still, at least with MBS we know the reason for the irritability; PMS is kind of different. I know as a married man some days I’m God’s Gift; other days I’m just a plain old ******* – and I’m the same guy both times. You try and figure it out, because I sure can’t.

WEIGHT GAIN – Of course MBS implies weight gain. All that sitting at the bar quaffing stouts and porters and downing dinner specials while your buddies each tell you that their brand is the best is bound to add a few inches. At least with MBS it’s beer; with PMS they talk about “water weight.” What a pointless way to gain weight; you can’t even put ketchup on water.

EMOTIONAL UPS AND DOWNS – Yes, victims of MBS do suffer wild emotional ups and downs. How else can you explain the need to always have One More Bike, as if that one will finally complete the collection. Ha! Admit it if you haven’t already – you can ALWAYS use another bike. Even if you somehow get it temporarily under control, all it takes is the next issue of Cycle World or Bike to arrive in the mail, with all the latest lovelies decked out in full four color spreads, as enticing as a centerfold in a men’s (or ladies, I suppose) magazine. I can still remember seeing the sexy red Laverda RGS 1000 in an old Rider magazine for the first time . . . I literally lost my breath. PMS, of course, is defined by the notorious emotional ups and downs it causes. At least MBS sufferers can always buy another bike; not much you can do about hormones, it seems. Too bad.

LASHING OUT PHYSICALLY – PMS sufferers have been known to lash out. Remember the woman who got pulled over for speeding and got arrested for kicking and attacking the cop? I know her clever lawyer used PMS as her defense, and any married man on the jury would have been hard pressed to vote against that. MBS sufferers lash out as well. I can vividly remember spotting a cheap, clean KLR650 in the paper, and physically having to pull myself away from dialing the guy’s number. I’d just put in a big $$$ order of parts for my Norton and knew my better half would have killed me if I’d bitten. I still don’t have a big thumper, BTW; you don’t happen to have one for sale cheap, do you?

While MBS doesn’t get the publicity that PMS does, it’s still a powerful force that must be dealt with, and we poor sufferers won’t be happy until we’ve built extra garages and barns, emptied our bank accounts, subscribed to every bike email list, joined every owners club, and finally own every bike we deem worthy and desirable. Until then, wish me luck, my friends, wish me luck – and don’t outbid me on eBay.

·
Premium Member
1,082 Posts
imported post

Thank you for diagnosing my problem. My sons have been running interference trying to make sure that I don't spend more of their inheritance. Is there a cure or even a need for a cure?

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

cure? I always think of it as a god-given mission to rescue poor abused and neglected bikes

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

Bob W wrote:
Thank you for diagnosing my problem. My sons have been running interference trying to make sure that I don't spend more of their inheritance. Is there a cure or even a need for a cure?
A cure formultiple kids or multiple bikes? :stumped:

·
Premium Member
2,137 Posts
imported post

at which motorcycle does MBS kick in?

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 Limited Edition
3,485 Posts
imported post

morram wrote: