Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

It is that time of year for me to renew my MC insurance policy.

I pay ~$10 for towing, and I guess I will keep it.

But, what isa typical tow charge for a MC, and how would they tow it?

·
Village Whack Job...
7,907 Posts
imported post

Well if you are paying cash for a tow for yer bike expect to pay $75 just to put it on the truck. Typically it will be towed with a flat bed truck. Some will want to "sling it" with a hook truck. DO NOT let them. Also some of the morons will want to run a strap over the bike from one side of the bike to another DO NOT let them. You want to strap the bike down the sam way you would on a trailer. Don't let them use the winch to hold it down either. Those winches are stron genough to literally pull a car apart (I know I've done it).

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

I used4 tows on my last bike & AAA-RV cancelled me [paid $114. for the year & was worth it]. Got my wing [AARP ins] & needed a tow on my first ride last Feb, 5 miles from my house, took toshop for alternator & it's been fine all year.

Last tow was on AARP [$55./yr]. They couldn't find a wrecker inside the city ofTopeka.....so the operator told me to call 911 & they would reimburse me........"BITE ME....YOU CALL 'EM". The operator did & bike left on a flat bed.

AAA-RV always sent specialized equipment, even when I was out in nowhere.

GWRRA is good for 35 miles, IIRC. Not much use where I go.

Whatever roadside insurance you get, KNOW THE DETAILS. Some consider amotorcycle an "RV" and won't tow it.

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
imported post

Appreciate the info on AAA-RV, I just got it added this year. Haven't had to use it yet, but I was told it was a good deal.
I guess I'll see!

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

had a flat in [email protected] WY last summer. nearest dealer with the correct size tire was Honda dealer 60 miles away. Tow was $320.

$10 a year is a hell of a deal when you consider how much a tow may cost if you're out in the boonies.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

$10 a year through Progressive. I just talked to them and they said it would cover a tow to the repair shop. She did not stipulate distance, but she did say if it was towed anywhere else that the mileage is limited to 15 miles.

If I wasa GWRRA member, I would probably drop my coverage.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
59,650 Posts
imported post

I had Progressive and a full package with towing. Don't remember the details anymore, but I felt like it was worth it at the time.

In retrospect, after Penske's Freightliner totaled the bike out, yep. It was worth it.

·
Premium Member
100 Posts
imported post

Don't know what chgs are, but my Progressive covers it. Had to use it twice. First time was after bike wash at the do-it-yorself car wash. (still don't know how the kill switch got turned off, and the 2nd was after tires were changed out in Dec. (was snow free when I brought it in, and snowing like crazy when it was ready to come home).

·
Premium Member
421 Posts
imported post

i got towed once out in the middle of nowhere on rt 80 in pa at 4 am. i had aaa+ at the time (up to 100 mile tow) & they said thats not a "primary vehicle" (or some b.s. like that) so it wasn't covered so i said just send a truck & i'll pay him since i had no other way of contacting a tow truck in unknown area at 4am. for a local tow (about 10 miles) it cost me $100 to the local bike shop & that was july '05.

the guy just pulled it up on the flat bed & tied to the engine guards & trailer hitch & 1 strap across the seat with it on the center stand. he kept asking me were to hook (which i didn't have much of a clue either). we looped a strap around the fork to pull it onto the bed. that drivers reply about loading a motorcycle was "i've never hauled one that wasn't crashed so i don't usually worry about damaging it when loading," what confidence that gave me ...lol.

i have talked to local tow truck drivers since this incident & they said there is a speciall dollie they are suposto load the bike on & then pull that onto the flatbed.

my problem was i was hauling ass all night home from honda homecoming & must have kicked up a piece of debrie that hit my rear valve stem, cutting it. but that was 6+ hours lost to get the tire fixed & back on the road, 2.5hrs on the side of the road after calling the tow truck, then 2.5hrs waiting for the local bike shop to open, 1.5hrs repair time, what a fun experience that was...lol

in the end i went & upgraded to aaa+ rv the next day. it is only $30 more a year on the primary account holder & all additional members get the benifits at the regular aaa+ additional member rate. with the aaa+ rv they cover oversized (private) vehicles (such as campers, flat beds), trailers , & motorcycles in addition to your 4 wheeled passenger vehicle that is the only thing covered on the lesser levels of aaa or aaa+.

with some calls & threads of completely dropping aaa service to the reginal office got reinbersed for the tow because the discriptions on the aaa website didn't say that a motorcycle wasn't covered on aaa+ service, it just said only non oversized passenger vehicles were covered & i argued that it was the same type tow as if it was for my pickup. the difference is aaa+ rv states it covers motorcycles & trailer specifically in addition to passenger vehicles.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
imported post

I have Good Sam RV Emergency Road Service and for $75.00 a year they will cover your RV as well as any other vehicles or trailers you own. I haven't had to use them yet but have talked with many people who have and they swear by it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.