Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all you Wingers,

Does anyone out there know what the maximum total safe weight for a MC trailer is?I am talking gross weight, contents and all. I built this one and the net weight of it is about 175lbs. I have pulled it empty and it pulls great. The bike seems to pull it with power to spare and the brakes stop it without a problem. I just want to be sure it is not going to do damage to the engine or transmission in the long run. I pulled it empty for about 44 miles just as a test run and it didn't overheat or anything. As a matter of fact I could barely tell it was there. Attached is a pic of it.

Thanks,

Gary

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,919 Posts
imported post

I've read several places, including a book called "Motorcycle Camping" by Bob Woofter - that the general rule of thumb is:

The total weight of the loaded trailer should not exceed 50% of the total weight of the loaded bike. - You've got a ways to go with that 1500.

Nice rig, by the way. :)

·
Premium Member
5,382 Posts
imported post

Personally I don't think pulling is the problem but rather emergency braking and handling. Some more experienced members should be able to offer details.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,195 Posts
imported post

I would be more concerned with the braking than the weight.

As mentioned, maybe 50% of the bike's weight behind you. If you have to brake real hard, a real heavy trailer is going to be very noticeable.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
imported post

If you were going around a corner in the rain, and had to brake suddenly, it's then the weight of the trailer comes into question. The more weight behind the more force trying to push the rear wheel of the bike sideways.

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Never pulled a trailer behind a bike but pulled lots behind cars & trucks. The principle is the same. I'm not a fan of pulling trailers behind a bike. To dangerous for me.

There are going to be times when the trailer is going to want to determine which direction you are going to go. They have a mind of their own and you have to have enough vehicle in front of the trailer to control it. The too main areas of concern are braking & going down hill. If there was a way to incorporate some brakes on the trialer it would help the situation.

·
Premium Member
428 Posts
imported post

Hi Gary,
Looks like a beautifully done trailer, do you have any more pictures, any details on your build?

Chuck

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Hi Gary, we've been coast to coast a few times with a trailer behind 3 times, never had a problem, you just adjust your riding style. If you can imagine going for a run, then running again with a 60 - 7- lb back pack on you'll get the idea.
Accelerate slower, corner slower, brake earlier & more gentle.
This was our 1st trip to the east & what we pull now.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
695 Posts
imported post

Did you leave anything at home, that looks like quite a load.

Does the hitch height drop down to a more level position when your both on the bike. Looks a little high in this picture.

·
Premium Member
2,148 Posts
imported post

I agree with 96aspencade, "Accelerate slower, corner slower, brake earlier & more gentle." I think a total weight of 300 to 350 is about all I would feel comfortable pulling.
Nice looking trailer gary777.

:12red::cool:
Dean

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

Ya, the tongue sits level on the road & you can see the newest edition is a little different design. :waving:

·
Premium Member
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

Does anyone out there know what the maximum total safe weight for a MC trailer is?

Thank you to all who answered this posting. This is a great site. It'salways goodto have people "in the know" that one can call on for important questions like this to help us all ride safer.Thanks again. You have set mind at ease.

Gary :waving:

·
Premium Member
2,144 Posts
imported post

I would never want to pull a trailer myself. But it just isn't necessary for us. I have my Goldwing and Jeff has his. Between the two of us we have tons of room and we can even put something on the seat behind us too. We have done that before and we were able to take enough food along with us for 3days too.

:action::action:

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

96aspencade wrote:
Hi Gary, we've been coast to coast a few times with a trailer behind 3 times, never had a problem, you just adjust your riding style. If you can imagine going for a run, then running again with a 60 - 7- lb back pack on you'll get the idea.
Accelerate slower, corner slower, brake earlier & more gentle.
Gary, these words from Bob is very good advice! I pull my trailer across the country a lot. Even though you can't hardly feel it behind you, just remember it takes longer to stop, pull the trailer for your motorcycle with the same idea with you would pull aheavy trailer behind a vehicle and you will be just fine!

Jennifer, a trailer works for those of us thatdoesn't ride like you and your hubby on two Goldwings! (which is really cool for both of you! I wish my wife would ride one herself) :action:

I am always going two up and longer than 3 days and I couldn't do it with my trailer and I probably over prepare for every trip. :cooldevil:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
imported post

Hi all,
I have e tentwagon. It is 1 meter(1 yard) wide and weighs 110 kgs(220 pounds) empty, total weight 150kgs. Sleeping area for 2 complete with chairs and a small kitchen.

The law in Denmarks says that a mc-trailer should not weigh more than 50% of the bike and no more than 150 kgs(300 pounds).
The bike pulling it is an FJ1200. Total weight of 262 kgs. I have pulled the tentwagon in the mountains in Andorra and in the flat of the Netherlands without incidence. Every year we go on a mc holiday in the south of France. Usually a round trip of 5-6000 km(3100-3700 miles). Not once has the trailer done anything it shouldn't have. Actually, it is easier to control a bike with trailer than a fully, topheavey summer laiden bike. The weight of the bike-trailer combo is higher but the weight distribution is at a much lower point, making it easier to operate. I have never heard of anybody who has tried a bike-trailer combo complain about it.

Acceleration is not a problem other than gas milage. Turning and braking is done gentler. An S combination of quick turning will make the whole bike wobble a bit, so do this with caution. You will feel the trailer pushing on the rear wheel. Other than that, I sometimes forget its even there. I tend to not drive faster than 130 kmh(80mph) because of a longer breaking distance. Actually not much different than before we used the trailer (fully laiden).

This summer we will probably travel to the south of france again but this time with the Goldwing/sidecar/tentwagon combinaition as we are now 3. I just can't wait till its summer again...

Soren

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,212 Posts
imported post

What is safe? It's how much you can handle.
Many cycleists only need enough cubic foot of space for basic camping equipment. Tent, stove, tarps, water, food, chairs, small table, see how much adds up quick. Best is to weigh everything then double it. Why X2, you're going to picjup a few things on the way AND more importantly a "margin of error" in figures. Most basic camping items run around 125 to 150 Lbs so a trailer without brakes I'd say max weight be 400Lbs-ish.
I've pulled very heavy trailers behind 2 different bikes.
Yam-XS-1100 pulled 1,000Lb trailer w-brakes for 15,000 miles, bike never overheated.
My current '91 GL1500 has (so far) pulled about 1,150Lb trailer w-brakes. Should have seen those Harley faces as they passed, LOL. GoldWing towing a GoldWing on a trailer.
http://fmyers.8m.com/

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.