Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for someone who knows the ins and outs of servicing my 1999 Goldwing 1500 Trike in the Knoxville, TN area. The local Honda Bike dealer will not touch it because it is over 10 years old. If I buy a new one from them, they will take care of it for at least 10 years then it is iffy. I have less than 55000 miles and I am not able to service it myself.

BTW, I love the forum here. Get a lot of info from it.
THanks

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
that 10 year requirement is a load of crap set by management to sell more product.
any mechanic that has been working on bikes at all, can fix one that is 40 years old, probably easier than the new ones with all the Electronics on them....

·
Premium Member
225 Posts
Don't believe that line,I can still get parts for my 1200 through honda.

Sent from my LM-X420 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
the plastics are harder to find after 10 years, and that is by planned Obsolescence.

the hard parts are still pretty much in stock at the main Honda warehouse.

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
Looking for someone who knows the ins and outs of servicing my 1999 Goldwing 1500 Trike in the Knoxville, TN area. The local Honda Bike dealer will not touch it because it is over 10 years old. If I buy a new one from them, they will take care of it for at least 10 years then it is iffy. I have less than 55000 miles and I am not able to service it myself.

THanks
You might scroll through this thread and see if you can find anyone.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts
?? do you use Facebook?
there are several folks on the different Goldwing Groups from Knoxville, quite a few "seem to be" very knowledgeable and offer up good tech info.

this is one of them, they actually have manuals uploaded in the open to download there.

and this group is helpful also, they explicitly will ban anyone who is vulgar, or bad mouths your ability to follow instructions.
The Goldwing Garage

I wish we had a complete list of all Goldwing Mechanics, but unless they are a member of this forum, we never hear about them.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
?? do you use Facebook?
there are several folks on the different Goldwing Groups from Knoxville, quite a few "seem to be" very knowledgeable and offer up good tech info.

this is one of them, they actually have manuals uploaded in the open to download there.

and this group is helpful also, they explicitly will ban anyone who is vulgar, or bad mouths your ability to follow instructions.
The Goldwing Garage

I wish we had a complete list of all Goldwing Mechanics, but unless they are a member of this forum, we never hear about them.
Nope, I don't like to post my life on places like that. But, thanks.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,874 Posts

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
Okay, since many can't figure it out. Yes, many parts are still available if you have the time to look for them and wait for their delivery. That can be an eternity if the bike is sitting on the work ramp, in pieces. Taking up space that could be getting used for quick, easy and profitable jobs.

Then there's the problem of parts that are not available, and there are many of those. A Honda dealer can't, or won't, install a non-OEM part. They can't warranty them. And even then, there are parts that are not available even in the aftermarket.

So, what's a shop to do? Give the bike back to the owner in pieces, with an apology? Patch it back together with glue and tinfoil? Put it behind the shop and tell the owner "they'll get back to it when Honda starts making the part again"?

The 10 year rule is there to protect the dealer from losses. Yes, you may be able to find some obscure part on eBay but that's outside a dealers business model. And for good reason. Period.

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
The 10 year rule is there to protect the dealer from losses. Yes, you may be able to find some obscure part on eBay but that's outside a dealers business model. And for good reason. Period.
There is no official 10 year rule, it's up to the individual dealer. Most seem to have adopted it though.

·
Administrator
27,104 Posts
May be, but isn't there a law that says that a company only has to supply parts for 10 years?
May be, it used to be 17 years. Still why would it be just Honda motorcycle dealers, maybe others that won't work on anything over 10 years old? Car dealers don't do that, not any of the 4 I worked for.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,997 Posts
Well, at any rate, I was just trying to see it, and or, show it, from a dealer's view point.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Some states have lemon law statutes that cover that. For example California has a law for items more than $100, parts need to be available for 7 years. At the federal level Magnuson-Moss only requires that parts be available for the duration of the warranty. When I look up the Honda parts for a 1500 there are a ton of unavailable items. I've also worked at repair shops where we charged different rates for older or grey market vehicles, due to the extra time it took to source parts.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Okay, since many can't figure it out. Yes, many parts are still available if you have the time to look for them and wait for their delivery. That can be an eternity if the bike is sitting on the work ramp, in pieces. Taking up space that could be getting used for quick, easy and profitable jobs.

Then there's the problem of parts that are not available, and there are many of those. A Honda dealer can't, or won't, install a non-OEM part. They can't warranty them. And even then, there are parts that are not available even in the aftermarket.

So, what's a shop to do? Give the bike back to the owner in pieces, with an apology? Patch it back together with glue and tinfoil? Put it behind the shop and tell the owner "they'll get back to it when Honda starts making the part again"?

The 10 year rule is to sell more bikes, period. One of their previous mechanics, he has quit repairs now, told me this. My bike has 55,000 miles on it and it is just now getting close to the end of the break-in phase, as most Wingers know. all parts can be had, through dealers, if ordered by the owner of the bike and paid for in advance.

I still need someone to service my bike, as I am not able to do the work myself.

·
Registered
2 Posts

THanks
there is a shop in gray tn near johnson city tn called kens cycle center 423-477-8596 they service them all new or old I live in rogersville and worked there before the business was sold, the new owners name is rodney stewart hes a good dude just ride up and check it out one day heck its about 100 mi or so from you but on a wing that a lunch break..hope this helps you out.

·
Nodnocdar
32 Posts

THanks
[/QUOTE

THanks
The condition of the storage and known history is most important for making this a safe and reliable Wing. Another post Thinking of buying my first GoldWing...well used, need..., talks about resurrecting a used Wing and that could help with your question. You say that it is your Wing and I assume you have not ridden it for ~10 years. If, however, you started the bike and moved it a few times each year that would be a benefit because it helps to mitigate deterioration. Therefore you know what was functioning and what was broken when you put it away, yes or no. While it was put away was it outside under a tree or in a heated garage. A Wing that sits for extended time will deteriorate but outdoor storage will cause problems that might be avoided if it was indoors. Some things like the battery will be needing replacing simply because they will not work after 10 years and that is also true of the timing belts. The service can be done by many people and there are great mechanics that do not work for Honda dealers. Start with the local phone book. Ask local folks if they know of a mechanic that will work on a motorcycle. Things like seals, replacing plugs, oil or other filters can be done as generic maintenance and a "Honda" mechanic is not needed. You should be able to make a list of the tasks that are needed because this is your bike and the history is known. Then you have a chance to find a local person to do each repair. Wings are quite durable and worth the repair. There are many resources on the internet showing how to do all of the work and you could surprise yourself to find that some of the service you can do by yourself. For example: you can siphon out the gas and put new gas in, you can probably replace the battery. Proceed with deliberate caution.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts