Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

the lever of the mechanical cruise control on my 1980 /1100 interstate isn't working .

the lever stays in the locked position, but the gas cable doesn't stay locked as it should

and the RPM decreases to idle..

any ideas why or how to fix it? is it possible to find an OEM replacement for this part?



thanks for helping!

Saul
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
775 Posts
imported post

Most throttle locks have an adjustment screw that you can use to tighten it up a bit. The screw is usually located on the top just behind the lever.( that is if your bike just has the basic lock....there are some fancy chromelocks but they are adjustable as well) Sometimes that screw isseized or partially seized and can be difficult to turn. If youcan ,just turn it clockwise enough to secure the throttle when in the locked position. GenericThrottle locks are available at most any bike shop and are not that expensive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,313 Posts
imported post

s_lapid wrote:
snip... any ideas why or how to fix it? is it possible to find an OEM replacement for this part?
thanks for helping!

Saul
Saul, that is not an OEM part. It is aftermarket and should be adjustable as indicated in the above post. However it could be too worn to hold the throttle. You can buy them at most dealerships or online. Here is a link to one place to get them.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GL1100-Gold-Wing-new-Cruise-Control-Throttle-Lock-/220909044988?hash=item336f3484fc&item=220909044988&pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

If it is like the one in Larry's link even a new one may not work.
The plastic of the throttle lock is harder than the throttle barrel and over time wears a groove in to the barrel which may need replacement before even a new one will work.
 

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
Joined
·
1,204 Posts
imported post

That's what it is!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,313 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
If it is like the one in Larry's link even a new one may not work.
The plastic of the throttle lock is harder than the throttle barrel and over time wears a groove in to the barrel which may need replacement before even a new one will work.
I had never thought about that possibility. Have you seen that happen Ken? It seems to me you would have to be operating the throttle with the throttle lock "on" quite a lot to wear a groove in it.
 

·
Itinerant Wing Preacher
Joined
·
875 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
If it is like the one in Larry's link even a new one may not work.
The plastic of the throttle lock is harder than the throttle barrel and over time wears a groove in to the barrel which may need replacement before even a new one will work.
How did you know what I was going to say. Mine has a visible grove worn in it, and the throttle lock is long gone. Jay
 

·
Junior Grue
Joined
·
8,153 Posts
imported post

Bellboy40 wrote:
I had never thought about that possibility. Have you seen that happen Ken? It seems to me you would have to be operating the throttle with the throttle lock "on" quite a lot to wear a groove in it.
Yes I have, I had to replace the barrel on my CB900C because of wear and the one on my GL1200I is grooved.

If you use the throttle lock a lot even minute adjustments will wear the barrel.
Even the small weight of the lock when not engaged will slowly wear the barrel.
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,287 Posts
imported post

If you want a trouble-free throttle-lock, then find a "Super Vista Cruise"

...it's all metal. I don't know if they're still manufactured or not.

Mine works flawlessly, everytime, all the time. I use it daily.
 

Attachments

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
If you want a trouble-free throttle-lock, then find a "Super Vista Cruise"

...it's all metal. I don't know if they're still manufactured or not.

Mine works flawlessly, everytime, all the time. I use it daily.
Same as the one I put on my 83 to replace the plastic one that slipped and finally broke off during a weekend ride. They are still available as I posted above link. $29.95
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

thanks friends, for the informative answers and links!
it has been very helpfull.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
12,287 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
If you want a trouble-free throttle-lock, then find a "Super Vista Cruise"

...it's all metal. I don't know if they're still manufactured or not.

Mine works flawlessly, everytime, all the time. I use it daily.
Same as the one I put on my 83 to replace the plastic one that slipped and finally broke off during a weekend ride. They are still available as I posted above link. $29.95
"Molded from durable glass filled zytel nylon."

Not the same. That's a "Vista Cruise" w/plastic bits.

The "Super Vista Cruise" is all metal.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,381 Posts
imported post

CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
newday777 wrote:
CaptainMidnight85 wrote:
If you want a trouble-free throttle-lock, then find a "Super Vista Cruise"

...it's all metal. I don't know if they're still manufactured or not.

Mine works flawlessly, everytime, all the time. I use it daily.
Same as the one I put on my 83 to replace the plastic one that slipped and finally broke off during a weekend ride. They are still available as I posted above link. $29.95
"Molded from durable glass filled zytel nylon."

Not the same. That's a "Vista Cruise" w/plastic bits.

The "Super Vista Cruise" is all metal.
Which I have hadon my 2002 VTX retro since 2002 with nary a problem.
 

·
Still Learning
Joined
·
13,270 Posts
imported post

I guess I had the "Super Vista Cruise"
Didn't realize they made a nylon one
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top