Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
See Signature
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I decided to go on a bit of a vacation and trailer my 1200 out to Wyoming to where the 1500 that has the melted starter relay wires is. My friend is still going to trailer back the 1500 and we will travel together back to my home.

Funny thing is I bought a factory service manual AND an electrical trouble shooting manual for the 1500. I just don't have them with me. I really think I could change a few small wires and be ok. Very tempting over changing a complete main harness. I for sure will do it just for testing.

So I know this is the starter relay. The small wires are damaged.
Light Electrical wiring Gas Cable Electrical supply

There's another relay? above the rear master cylinder. The small wires going to it are damaged. What is this component?
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Steering wheel Automotive exterior

Then there's this thing bolted under the seat. What is it and what does it do?
Light Motor vehicle Electrical wiring Gas Cable

I'm just trying to get some info on this while I'm waiting to leave for home. Just trying to see if you guys can give me a heads up of what sytems could be damaged. Thanks for any info

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
757 Posts
Looks like a lot of home-made wiring in those photos, not sure if the factory manuals are going to be much help with all of that... Looks like some of the wires burned off the insulation entirely?

The item mounted under the seat is another relay, and they do fail somewhat regularly.

·
Administrator
27,754 Posts
The second part is starter relay B. As for the relay under the seat it is probably a reverse relay, would be helpful to know what year the bike is.

·
Registered
See Signature
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bike is a 89.

·
Registered
See Signature
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As far as the home made wiring goes..... I have no idea. I assume you are saying that because of the blue tape? Funny thing is I was looking at replacement harnesses on ebay and noticed at least one with blue tape. I thought it was repaired. Could the blue tape be oem?

·
Administrator
27,754 Posts
As far as the home made wiring goes..... I have no idea. I assume you are saying that because of the blue tape? Funny thing is I was looking at replacement harnesses on ebay and noticed at least one with blue tape. I thought it was repaired. Could the blue tape be oem?
It is factory wiring. Looks to me like an aftermarket starter relay A has been plugged in and power sent through the ground circuit causing the melt down.

·
Registered
1988 Honda GL1500
624 Posts
Be very carefull if you want to replace the loom as they vary year by year as well as model, i know as ihad to change one and although it was the same year there were differances.
If you can just repair the individual wires it is a lot simpler, maybe keep the colours at the ends correcect if you have to replace wire with one a different colour

1 - 7 of 7 Posts