Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Ok, I know i will get smacked around on this one but would like to know how many miles on your 1500 and what oil you run, hey miles dont lie. if you made it 100,000 or better i would say the oil is doing its job, not looking to start a big discussion, just simple how many liles and what oil.

Thanks Kerry

·
Premium Member
3,303 Posts
imported post

125,000 miles on my 1200 here, but that is nothing.

Another 1200 in the local chapter was sold a few year back with 285,000 miles, and we have seen others with even more. A report surfaced about six years ago of a 1200 pulling into a rally with 998,000 miles on the original engine.

Previous owners used expensive motorcycle dino oil and the build up of gunk inside was bad. I have been using Rotella T synthetic and the engine has come clean, plus the gears mesh much easier too. The downside is a lot of the seals started leaking (maybe related maybe not) but new seals and she is ready to keep on going.

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
imported post

unionjk wrote:
125,000 miles on my 1200 here, but that is nothing
Ya, I must agree. 100,000 is just broken in. These engines are bulletproof if only you do the basics. Change the oil, plugs and timing belts and you shouldnt have any troubles. I put over 100,000km on my 86 Aspencade in just 3 years. That was back in thelate '80's. The guy I sold it to is still riding it today. My best friends 84 Aspencade has over 250,000km and he still rides it daily. No engine work ever done to it. Still runs the original Stator too.

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

94 SE with 182K I dont know what the PO used for oil but shes had nothing but DELO 400 15/40 for the last 15K since I have riden it .

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

140,000+ on my '80 Interstate.

Quaker State 10-30 since the day I bought it with 11,000 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

118,00 on the 1200 Aspy with a sidecar. PO had been running synthetic. I switched back to dino oil, Castrol 10w30, 20k ago when I got her.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Just over 100k on mine..
It supposedly had Mobil-1 15w-40 its whole life through 70k miles. Since then hit has been Chevron DELO-400 and 400-LE. I wanted the same performance profile as the Mobil-1 but in a standard oil. DELO fills the bill nicely for me and several others.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Delo 400 15w40 here.

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

What are your oil change frequencies? My Honda Manual says 8000 miles for a 1200, but that seems like a lot of miles between oil changes.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Mine are and have always been 3000.
GL transmissions chew up oil molecules pretty badly.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,147 Posts
imported post

Old school here, keep the dirt out of the engine.

Change at 3,000 miles or as soon as I can get the job done.

Just because a synthetic oil is used, does not justify running the oil longer.

dirty is dirty.

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

I change everything at the 5000 mark myself.

·
Premium Member
253 Posts
imported post

Okay, I've got a story to tell that won't put me in very good light.

Let me preface this by saying this is not normal behavior for me and I acknowledge my stupidity on many levels.

So this story is about a Honda Accord. I know its not on topic regarding Wings but it is still a Honda and speaks to Honda's quality.

I had been commuting about 170 miles a day and needed a new vehicle. We just overpaid for a new home and couldn't really afford anything.

My wife's brother had a 1991 Accord with 185,000 miles that he said he'd give up cheap. I didn't want it for many reasons but a little pressure from the boss and it was mine.

I resented the little car because I really don't like my brother-in-law. Enough said.

My plan to get out of this car was to drive the hell out of it and skip the oil changes.

As you can imagine the miles added up quick going 170 miles a day just to work. I couldn't wait for the inline 4 to give up and I could go to my wife and say, See! Your brother doesn't know how to care for anything!

But that didn't happen. 20,000 went by with no trouble, then 30,000. I started to change my mind about the little car.

But my curiosity was asking, "How far can this experiment go?"

I only paid 300.00 for the car so I wasn't out much when it went ka-boom! I decided to let it ride and no oil changes just to see.

Well, my job gave up on me before that car did. I put 125,000 miles on the Accord with no oil changes and it was still going strong.

I ended up with 310,00 on the odometer when I no longer needed a commuter car. I finally changed the oiland gave it away to a kid I knew for his first car.

I'm not real proud to say I did that, but at the same time happy I did. It satisfied a curiosity I had.

I've never told anyone I know this story because I am ashamed to say that I neglected oil changes just because I was being a brat.

I'll never do it again. Nor will I stretch out oil changes. I think I tempted fate enough with that old Accord.

But can you imagine? 185,000 miles to 310,000 miles without changing the oil! And no problems!

For all the filthy names you can put upon me for that, Amazing must also be said. I believe only a Honda could have endured that abuse.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I have a 97 GL 1500 SE with 198,000 on the clock.
I use DELO 400 oil and try to change it every 3000 miles.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
imported post

I don't get to ride as much as I'd like, so it's every 2500 miles or at the end of the season, which ever comes first.

·
Premium Member
1,185 Posts
imported post

Honda has had 8,000 mile oil changes for Goldwings since 1975. Almost nobody believes it, including me. I change mine at 5,000 miles.:gunhead:

John

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

my odometer will turn 106k next week. Been using 15-40 rotella T from WallyWorld.
Prior to that it was 15-50 Mobil 1 until they no longer carried it and it might no longer
be available. What the previous owner used on the bike I have not a clue. I change it
about every 3k or so. Ok will mention my tire mileage. I have 17k on the Michelin Pilot
GT on the rear and well over 22k on the front E3. Tires are due for a change this year.
Most likely get a couple more grand out of the tires before they are completely smooth.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.