Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just a normal Sunday, up with the larks, cleaned the previous dead flies off the screen, a duster taken over the tank and wait for the other lads to arrive. True to form within the hour we were heading off to the Police Headquarters in Durham for their annual biking event.

Along the dual carriage way, almost at our destination I became aware of a Police bike rider monitoring our riding skills short distance behind.

Infront of me my mate on his Blackbird, had what can only be described as a slight "ginger" moment and stopped dead !

Within seconds half a ton of honda's finest with me on it, smacked directly into his rear. The impact gave him a hefty nudge, my desperate attempts to avoid this resulted in my behind making contact with the tamac, at which point I did a body roll worthy of a Chuck Norris film.

I scrambled to my feet and the sight before me beggars belief! Instead of gracefully leaning over to the crash bars and establishing a dazed pose, my wing gave a positive "wiggle" and proceeded to travel down the road un -aided and rider-less.

Much to the amazement of the cars on the outside line overtakng it!!!

I started running after her, with the voice of the Police officer bellowing from behind, "please stop you may be injured and need treatment"

No &!******* way pal, my wing my bloody wing

She travelled,riderless, for a 100 yards, gently wobblinginthe manner of your Gran when she has been at the cooking sherry! Me doing a great impresion ofDaffy Duck ona bender following behind.

Just where the armco gently curves upwardthe front wheel made contact, I closed my eyes, if she flickedover now into the middle of the road there would be carnage, but astonishingly she went in the opposite direction, down a slight embankment and disapeared into the bushes.

By this time fellow bikers had stopped and joined in the pursuit as had the Police officer. I scrambled down the grass, and there she was, at a juanty angle, firmly wedged into the middle of a bushwith the mellow tones of Bonjovi's Livin on a prayerdriftly gently on the air.

With every ones help we got her out, slight damage to her, massive damage to my prideand ego and carried on to the venue.

Obviously the officer had radioed ahead and every one and I mean EVERY one made a point of asking "are you the lad who's bike took off on it's own?!"

As a final insult the officer said how annoyed he was he did'nt have a video of the event, but if it was any consolation he thought that prior to the incident my riding ability was first class.

As forthe rider of the blackbird he could'nt explain why he had stopped, but he had'nt meant to cause a problem:baffled:

For any of the UK guys and especially the northerners, I am sure if you ask any officer at Durham headquarters on bike day, they will remember and probably laugh!!!!

Ahhhh the joys, the highs the lows and the down right unbelievable:cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
4,566 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:excellent story jovirossi46:clapper::clapper:

now, tell me, are we safer riding in front of, or behind you :baffled::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Wow, I have never heard of such a thing. Your darn right lucky. Glad you and your ride pulled through with minor damage.

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
imported post

wannabe wrote:
:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:excellent story jovirossi46:clapper::clapper:

now, tell me, are we safer riding in front of, or behind you :baffled::cheeky1::cheeky1:
Is the wing safer with him on or off?

·
I am the Hobo
9,690 Posts
imported post

You couldn't make it up!!!!!!!!!!!!! :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Look forward to seeing you around, but do try to stay on the bike. ;)

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

"There;s only 1 wibbly wobbly"

·
Premium Member
1,927 Posts
imported post

Great read.....

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

A funny story. I think this phenomena happens a bit.

I was riding my CB750 back in 1980 with a friend who had a BMW 900 when I stopped completely at a stop sign. The next thing I know is I see this BMW 900 go through the stop sign by itself without my friend; no rider. I think wtf? The bike keeps rolling until it doesn't have enough gas to go up a hill and then just flops over.

My friend came in back of me to tell me that the bike slipped, he fell off, and the bike righted itself back up and continued on ahead. We couldn't believe it.

The best that I can figure it that the gyroscopic action of the wheels refused to let the bike fall over. When the wheels stopped rotating, the gyroscope stopped and fell over.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
imported post

Great story jovirossi46, had you not been atoon lad I would have said you were winding us up, what could have ended in carnage turned out quite humorous,good luck.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

interesting and so glad only thing on you hurt was pride related :)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

:cheeky1:

Great write up - I'm glad you're OK.

For those that never experienced it (and I hope you never do) - that sight of seeing your bike waggling on without you is well - awe inspiring :shock:.

At the conclusion of my wreck last summer from a mad cager attack that is one of the memories forever emblasoned in my mind - my wing straight down the high speed lane of the highway - at 55mph - on its own. As I was skidding along looking after it!:doh:

Glad yours ran just fast enough for you to give chase - and - give us the story. Thanks! :cool:

"firmly wedged into the middle of a bushwith the mellow tones of Bonjovi's Livin on a prayerdriftly gently on the air."

Priceless...

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I always wondered why motorcycles didn't have a "leash" connected to a pin switch, which was connected as a kill switch. If rider comes off, leash pulls out the pin, which kills the motor.

Kind of like a Jet-Ski, which has the same thing, except it makes it idle while turning gentle circles if the rider comes off.

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

I'm glad as well that you're okay, but you have to admit that it is absolutey hilarious picturing in your mind's eyea bike motoring along without a pilot, and then the pilot on foot chasing it (LOL!!). I can't imagine what it must have felt like, but it is humourous just the same. Did your buddies give you the what for? You do realize that this will be your new identity among your pals now, don't you?

What was the minor damage? Got photos?

Thanks for sharing, and again, I'm so glad you're not injured.

DeDub :waving:

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Sadly no photo's, mind you grabbing a camera never entered my mind, and if someone had asked me to "smile say cheese" during this escapade, I think injuries would have been inflicted:shock:

As for the other bikers, once they realised no bodily harm had been caused, the sniggers began:D

I heard all the usual comments, "oh it's the Lone Ranger" but the best one was, from a mate on a fireblade, " put the brake on next time you let go of the pram":cheeky1:

Even now, looking back I cannot believe how lucky I was, someone up there was on my side, thankfully!

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

I too have had a similar experience of my bike continuing on without me. Back when I was younger and "imortal"I entered a roundabout at speeds way too high to make it, I suddenly decided the best course of action was to straighten up and try and go over theroundabout which had a humped center maybe 3 feet high. I hit the hump at somewhere around 60mph and was thrown off the bike and ended up in a snotty heap on the road. The bike must have landed dead upright and continued serveral hundred yards down the road before also veering off into a ditch. When I eventually got to it, the back wheel was just off the ground and still going round with the motor still running and in gear. The only damage was that one of the panniers had been pulled off and the handlebars were slightly bent down on one side. I was able to re mount and continue on my way with the pannier bungie strapped on the back rack.

I am glad you were not hurt any more than I was. The M2 was closed a few weeks ago, because a motorcyclist had gone over the central reservation into oncoming traffic, but his bike continued down the road for many hundreds of yards. Unfortunately that motorcyclist was not so lucky and died from his injuries. One of our members Razz, was one of the first on the scene having ridden between the queue of cars that were held up. He saw the bike on the other carriage way along way from the scene of the accident.

I do think it is the gyroscopiceffect that will keep a bike carrying on without a pilot to guide it, until it runs out of momentum.

·
Premium Member
543 Posts
imported post

When Honda said 'Cruise Control', boy did they mean it :cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

Glad it all turned out ok.

Just give me a call if you're ever down Lancashire way...........and I'll be sure to stay indoors!

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Just goes to show, some times your luck is with you and sometimes sadly it is'nt.

Mind you speaking of younger years, I was thinner, fitter and rode a bonneville 650, along with mates on a norton commando, trident and a couple of honda's. Living in the country side we played on twisty roads, scraping footrest's and touching hedgerows with shoulders at every opportunity.

The local "bikers" track was heading into and out of a village called Rothbury, still is today. Anyway after a carefree day of riding and generally fooling about, we headed home as night fell. Of course the overtaking at stupid speeds and in even sillier places began.

one guy flew past and misjudged the sharp bend, fortunately a considerate farmer had left his gate open, and bike and rider shot into the field.

the next guy jumped of his bike and ran into the field to help his stricken mate.

Bearing in mind it was nearly dark by this time, the rest of us stopped and much shouting began, where is he, is he okay etc,

the first guy shouted I've got him, jesus his head has come off, swinging gently from his hand............................................ was a turnip !!!

at least two threw up an the rest of us almost passed out. The fallen rider was actually sat in the field smoking a rather bent ***, doubled up with laughter.

Those were the days when bending came easy and running was an option now it's just an illusion:)

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

jovirossi46 wrote:
the first guy shouted I've got him, jesus his head has come off, swinging gently from his hand............................................ was a turnip !!!

at least two threw up an the rest of us almost passed out. The fallen rider was actually sat in the field smoking a rather bent ***, doubled up with laughter.

Those were the days when bending came easy and running was an option now it's just an illusion:)
:action:

That was another fine read - Thanks

:cheeky1:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.