Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I doubt that anyone riding around Colorado during this last week missed getting caught in at least one rain storm. We found ourselves getting wet five or six times, but our experience riding to Telluride was memorable. CAUTION LONG STORY

GOING TO TELLURIDE

We pulled in Durango about noon on Friday having spent the previous night soaking in hot mineral water at the Spa Motel in Pagosa Springs. Looking for breakfast we found ourselves at Denny’s where we pulled out the map and looked at the options. I have a problem with extreme drop offs, so we were trying to decide if we would take “The Million Dollar Highway” or chicken out. Sitting in the corner booth was a group of riders that were headed to Telluride for a Blues Festival. Now, that sounds fun! We figured that everything would be booked but we had our daughter get on the internet to look for a room. We called the numbers she sent us and found them priced at over $400 per night and not available. Just as we were about to give up and hit the road our daughter calls and says she found a half priced room for Friday night for $125. We thought that was still steep but said what the heck and headed up Highway 550 to Telluride.

Heading up CO-550 out of Durango the weather was spectacular as well as the scenery. Climbing up to 10,600 ft at “Coal Bank Pass” we pass several goldwings that we had seen in Montrose at NASSIR II. We waved, but we weren’t sure who the riders were.

The closer we got to Silverton the darker the sky got, the colder it became and we could see a big storm ahead. So, we stopped at the visitor center in Silverton and dressed up with everything including our new Tour Master rain pants we purchased in Montrose. Knowing that we were going to get wet didn’t bother me but riding over that cliff, I’d seen on a post card, in the rain was something that scared the hell out of me.

Sure enough a few miles outside of Silverton we hit rain but it stopped long before we got to the drop off. As we got closer to it I was not feeling any symptoms from any other areas of the road where it dropped off. I thought that maybe I would be fine. I was wrong! Most places where we ride next to drop offs I keep my eyes focused on the road and away from the drop. No can do on this road. As we went around that extreme drop area, with no guardrails, I had the desire to just stop and get off, but the thought of that was scarier than continuing. Bear Tooth Pass and Rocky Mountain National Park were scary, but this was terrifying. Even recalling it now makes me weak in the knees. I’m really glad we went over it but I doubt I will again.

Ok, all is good, on to Telluride. Just as we found every other road we had been on since we got to Montrose CO-62 &145 were great motorcycle roads. As we got close to Telluride it became apparent that we were going to get wet. We hit light rain right about the turn off on south bound CO-145 and it appeared that Telluride was getting clobbered. Since the road was really wet I thought we may be able to pull over and let it move out, but hey, what’s a little rain. A mile or so later it was pouring. Hey, no problem we endured big rain on both Spring Creek and Wolf Creek passes plus we had on our shiny new rain pants. All of a sudden a truck traveling the opposite direction comes at us spraying water out of the tire grooves of the road. It was like having 20 gallons of water dumped on you. Everything went dark and we both found ourselves with the feeling that we had to come up for air. I don’t know if the guy knew what he did or if he was laughing his ass off, but he could have slowed down or moved out of the grooves. Shaking the water off we continue down the road with cages passing us without getting sprayed. Then 30 feet in front of us we see a car shooting a spray of water out about 20 feet and 7 feet high. Speaking into a very wet wind sock I tell Anna “Look out here it comes again.” Unfortunately we had nowhere to go but to take it head on. We are deluged just as I’m thanking the cage driver. I find myself wishing I had brought my snorkel as we find ourselves coming up for air and looking for a place to pull over and regroup. Once we got to the room we had a good laugh about it. All in all we were pretty dry except water shot up my sleeve and down my neck.

Parking the bike we headed up town. We found one room for Saturday and it was $250 and the tickets were $50 a day for the festival. So we kicked around town in the rain, pretended that we could afford trendy over priced furniture, played a game called pet the dog (very funny) and had dinner in a sports bar. I think we heard Joe Cocker from a distance. We headed home on Saturday morning (two days later than the plan) with no regrets and some great memories.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,499 Posts
imported post

Great story, and I'm glad you took the time to tell it.

We left Montrose and drove down through Telluride and on to Cortez. Being in a car, the spray from opposing traffic was not bad, just a sudden blanking of view forwards, but with the wipers on highspeed, we managed to stay on the road.

We never actually saw Telluride, the road tees off to the right just before getting there. so, we just waved over "that away" and said "see you later'. :D

Lots of memories that we will have for a long time. enjoyed visiting with you and all the others.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I experienced a miracle - got all the way home from Montrose without experiencing any rain.:cooldj:

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

exavid wrote:
I experienced a miracle - got all the way home from Montrose without experiencing any rain.:cooldj:
We stayed dry on our 400 mile trip home on Saturday from Telluride.

The two days before that, we spent looping down 149 and up 550, found us looking through a wet wind screen on a regular basis.

Hey, which route did you take home?

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

jrs60371 or Big John from georgia Jeannette and i went there thursday. John and I were on the free public transit tram going up the mountain when the lightening hit. after wecame back down the mountainit was pouring. I left my helmet on the bars to fill up. After I drained it i took it into the public bath and dried it wih the handdrier. In Placerville I had to borrow Jeannettes full face to ride further. It poured all the way back and it was dark by the time we got to ridgeway??. At the first light into Montrose we bothsplashed in the same pothole . It looked like a river coming into town. The lightening was rather neat.JB

·
Just one of the guys
4,830 Posts
imported post

That storm thursday night was, according to the lady at the campground, the most rain they had seen in one storm all year. It sure made for some greasy gooey mud in the campground.

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
imported post

On the road to Telluride, the state put up a sign that reads "Icy conditions may exist ahead" or very close to that. Someone had put the letters "pr" just in front of the word "icy". When we got to town and looked around, the bride and I agreed with the addition to the state sign.

It was, however,a very scenic area and I hope you rode to the end of the pavement past the main part of town and got to see the waterfalls and what looked to be a house between them. Lots of scenic riding in that whole part of the state.

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
imported post

cubix wrote:
On the road to Telluride, the state put up a sign that reads "Icy conditions may exist ahead" or very close to that. Someone had put the letters "pr" just in front of the word "icy". When we got to town and looked around, the bride and I agreed with the addition to the state sign.

It was, however,a very scenic area and I hope you rode to the end of the pavement past the main part of town and got to see the waterfalls and what looked to be a house between them. Lots of scenic riding in that whole part of the state.
Pricy is diffidently right.

Unfortunately when we came into town in it was socked in. We had planned on exploring Saturday morning, but we decided we had already donated enough money and headed straight out.

I did see the pictures that Titanium posted of the falls and wondered how we missed them.

·
Premium Member
67,272 Posts
imported post

If you come to Montrose by cage, I guess it's only fitting you take the Tram Cage at Telluride

Attachments

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,841 Posts
imported post

exavid wrote:
I almost missed all of it too. I got sprinkled on a few times, but the only heavy rain I got was Thursday night. I made a trip to Durango and back on Thursday, and thought about going through Telluride on the way back, but decided that would put me on the road for too long of a time after dark and I really didn't want any close encounters with deer, so I went back the way I came. What a beautiful ride that is. The cool part is I made it back to town, grabbed some fast food dinner and only got rained on from Micky D's back to the Best Western, but man were the skys open at that time. I got very wet. I was glad that's all I had to ride in it!

Thanks for the story clpete! :)

John

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
imported post

Nice story..I came through that area towards the end of a 8 State trip through AZ,up the coast to oregon and over the LOLO to Montana down through Yellowstone and on to Canon city. I had planned to travel over to Montrose but when I got into Salida I met some bikers filling up and they advised against doing it. The winds were extremely high and there had been snow from the previous nights storm.There was snow all over adjoining peaks so I opted to head down to Antonita and head over the Carson through Farmington. That was the weekend after Labor day(sunday) so it appears things were not getting much better. It sounds like fun and I think I'll give it a shot next July.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
imported post

Thanks for sharing ClPete! I was lucky we went on past
Telluride on Sat morning the 18th. It had snowed earlier that morning. We were planning on spending the night in Gallup, but it was so nice in Delores we decided to stay there instead.
The price for a cabin next to the river was reasonable 65.00.
The next day was sunshine until I got to Heber Az then it rained hard. Then dry on into Mesa.
I can't wait to do it again next summer. It was nice meeting you in Montrose!
I backed out on the ride in the rain over to Durango on
Wed. I'm not sorry I did either! I saw it once when the weather was nice and that's enough for me.
Gene
http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157622312377033/

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

Azwngr wrote:
Thanks for sharing ClPete! I was lucky we went on past
Telluride on Sat morning the 18th. It had snowed earlier that morning. We were planning on spending the night in Gallup, but it was so nice in Delores we decided to stay there instead.
The price for a cabin next to the river was reasonable 65.00.
The next day was sunshine until I got to Heber Az then it rained hard. Then dry on into Mesa.
I can't wait to do it again next summer. It was nice meeting you in Montrose!
I backed out on the ride in the rain over to Durango on
Wed. I'm not sorry I did either! I saw it once when the weather was nice and that's enough for me.
Gene
The pleasure was all mine. I really hope we can get to NY next year.

Snow above Telluride on the 18th.

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.