Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Having been a motorcycle rider for approximately 6 months, I have an awful lot to learn about riding, taking care of my bike, and just every thing in general about motorcycles. I ride alone, so just about all of what I've learned, I've learned on this forum....and I realize that I'm just getting started. I see the number of new riders coming on board, and I feel for them, as I know that they have questions that they might be afraid to ask..elementary things that need to be learned.. Have we ever considered starting a "mentoring" program, wherea new member/rider/Goldwing owner can be assigned a "mentor" in order to help them speed up their learning curves and to get the most enjoyment possible out of these wonderful machines.Someone that couldimpart invaluable knowledge that can only begained through experience..

·
Premium Member
10,010 Posts
imported post

plenty of answers here just waiting for the questions to be asked...we are all here to help :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
imported post

Tattoo Taffy wrote:
plenty of answers here just waiting for the questions to be asked...we are all here to help :)
^^^^^What Taffy Said ^^^^^

·
Premium Member
9,409 Posts
imported post

Thats another great thing about this forum.. If you look there is probably somebody close by that would be willing to ride with you to help give pointers.. As well as any question asked will be answered shortly :waving:

·
Probationary
4,535 Posts
imported post

This site, with its various forums, already IS a mentoring program.

Just gotta ask. We all do, since none of us knows everything.

·
Arkansas Ridgerunner
665 Posts
imported post

One of the things I like about this forum ... is the helpful and open way that members jump in to help.

Because of that, I've participated more in this forum than any that I have visited. So just jump in ... ask your questions and watch what happens... ;)

In 2001, I took my first MSF course ... during the course the instructors made a recommendation that turned out to be great help. Get a copy of "Proficient Motorcycling" by David L. Hough

If you are just getting into riding or even have years of experience this book can contribute to your knowledge base.

Bob

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

There are lots of senerio's that a rider will encounter & might not know the safest way to control their safety bubble. This forum is made up of a large variety of talent in riding, repairs, edicate & for the most part, Awesome additude towards others!

I encourage anyone who has a question about any type of senario or situation to post their question here without fear of being ridiculed by others because that will never happen.

A question asked & answered properly could save your life! I know this because it has saved mine. If anyone has a question but feels hesetant to post it on the board, Just hit the "PM" button and ask an individual that you trust! Ask me & I guarentee I will help you!

We are all brothers of the black top!!!!

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
We are all brothers of the black top!!!!
....and the rosy bottoms!

:cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
imported post

We are newbies too. When we purchased our bike, we realized that the salesman wasn't the most knowledgeable guy in the dealership. We were introduced to another in the shop...and now we call him with all kinds of questions.

See if there is a GWRRA club near you. We haven't ventured into that forum yet ourselves, but I think when we do we'll find all kinds of info!

The good thing about this board is you will hear all sides of an issue and then be able to make wise decisions. No politics, no cliques, no hidden agendas. Just good folks who care about each other.

A "little sister" of the black top!!!
Susan

·
Guru
3,074 Posts
imported post

Sisters can be brothers of the black top, ya just gotta be a guy to understand the logic!!:cheeky1:

We are all equal here..........Except Exavid, who knows more about wings than anyone I have ever met!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

There's no shame and no reason to be embarrassed about asking any questions here, at least about motorcycling, bike maintenance and repair. Riding techniques and apparel are no problem and lots of opinions exist here. It might not be the best place for questions about your sex life or politics but keep it cool and we'll take a shot at that too.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Anyone who is a new rider or new to Wings, should feel no hesitation to ask and learn, since those of us that have had bikes and Wings in particular for many years are still learning. I have picked up lots of tips on here, that I have employed more recently, even though I have owned Wings for the best part of 30 years. I am still changing my riding techniques, as a result of small gems that I have learned from members.

I consider myself a pretty safe rider, I don't go taking un necessary chances when I ride, but there is always room for improvement, from reading theory and also from practice, whether alone or with other riders.

A prime example of how riding with others was demonstrated to me to be of benifit, was when we recently visited Calhoun for the Meet & Greet. I have not ridden in America before and would have been naturally very nervous of riding on my own, especially in towns. I mostly rode with groups or at least one other rider and that was a great bonus for me. It is surprising how much I learnt and also the added benifit was that those riders understood the rules of the road, which relieved me of having to worry about such things to a larger degree and I was able to concentrate on the important things like concentrating on what traffic was around me and watching out for potential hazards.

So no one should be reluctant to ask for advice, whether you are a new rider or a very experienced one, especially as Wings can be so different to ride from other bikes and require a different approach sometimes.

·
Premium Member
6,097 Posts
imported post

I think everyone has pretty much summed it up. There are some characters here on this wonderful forum, but they seem to cut the new guys a lot of room.

So they should ask any question they have about riding or their bike and as time goes by they'll find themselves fiting right in with the little jokes and ribbing that comes from making friends.

Even if you may never look them in the eyes.

·
Piled Higher and Deeper
4,513 Posts
imported post

Popeye wrote:
This site, with its various forums, already IS a mentoring program. Just gotta ask. We all do, since none of us knows everything.
Just emphasizing best summary IMO.

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

hatchetman wrote:
Except Exavid, who knows more about wings than anyone I have ever met!
Correction/Addition,exavid knows more things period than anyone I have ever met, not just about Wings, and I mean that. He is a wealth of knowledge and experience, and if you are fortunate enough, like I have been, to spend some time with him, you will see what I mean. We are extremely fortunate to have him on this forum!

That said, we have many other talented, experienced and highly intelligent people on this forum that are always willing to help, no matter what your question, about Wings or just about anything else, not to mention they are some of the nicest people you will meet anywhere. As already stated, this place is a mentoring program as it is. Stick around, meet members when you can, and you will find friends, mentors and riding buddies too. :)

John

·
Premium Member
20,586 Posts
imported post

Silverfox wrote:
A prime example of how riding with others was demonstrated to me to be of benifit, was when we recently visited Calhoun for the Meet & Greet. I have not ridden in America before and would have been naturally very nervous of riding on my own, especially in towns. I mostly rode with groups or at least one other rider and that was a great bonus for me. It is surprising how much I learnt and also the added benifit was that those riders understood the rules of the road, which relieved me of having to worry about such things to a larger degree and I was able to concentrate on the important things like concentrating on what traffic was around me and watching out for potential hazards.
Aw, Don't let Silverfox fool ya'.......He was chasing me around because I had Helen The Viking on the back of my Wing!! :action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:eek:n a serious note, If I were in England, I would want my daughter on the back of Silverfox's Wing for sure. There has and is a lot of mutual respect here on this forum. ;)

What has been said here in my opinion is absolutely true!! This is what makes this forum the great one that it is........If you got a question ask!! A stupid question is one that is not asked and someone gets hurt. We all learn from each other. If I can help anyone and you don't want to ask the question publically, PM me. I will be glad to help and if I don't know the answer, we'll find the answer! :goofygrin:

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

Flyone wrote:
Aw, Don't let Silverfox fool ya'.......He was chasing me around because I had Helen The Viking on the back of my Wing!! :action::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1::cheeky1:eek:n a serious note, If I were in England, I would want my daughter on the back of Silverfox's Wing for sure. There has and is a lot of mutual respect here on this forum. ;)
Well that is sorted then Bill.... you get Helen the Viking on the back with you and I get to take your daughter out, that is if she would put up with my choice of music!!!!:cheeky1::cheeky1:Now all we have to do is find someone to carry your wife around!!!:)

There will hopefully be a GL1000 Executive waiting for you to ride when you do make it over mate. :):waving:(Unless of course that mad rider SB in SC is here at the same time of course ;))

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.