Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Premium Member
294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

I was at the New York bike show today, and was talking with the sales person for Bellstaff. Durring our conversation about protective clothing I mentioned I have a Joe Rocket mesh jacket for summer use. He basically trashed all mesh jackets, said they will melt into your skin durring a crash. That is if it doesn't tear apart first. I took it all with a grain of salt, after all he is a salesman. He went on to say in Germany and several other European countries mesh jackets are illeagle. That got my attension, he said they won't pass the tougher saftey requirements. Also the U.S. has no safety requirements for this type of clothing. Therefore my mesh jacket is not much better then a shirt.

Is this guy talking trash trying to sell me a new jacket ??

If infact what he said is true this would be an eye opener for me and i'm sure for other people.

Please comment if you have knowlege in this field.

Thank You Tom

·
Premium Member
3,198 Posts
imported post

He is talking trash to sell you something. I have a mesh jacket from Joe Rocket that saved its owner a lot of road rash. It did not melt. The armor worked...

I was so impressed My wife and I both have one for warm weather...

·
Goldwing Addict :-)
12,840 Posts
imported post

thessler wrote:
Yes, he is. Ask any of the guys here that have slid down the pavement wearing a mesh jacket. They work. I personally watched my friend Greg, (NaturalyGW), slide down the freeway at 60 MPH in October, and his First Gear mesh jacket saved his hide and came out very well itself. Cousin Jack had an encounter with a deer in July and his First Gear mesh jacket also saved his hide.

Are they as good as armored leather, not likely. Will they save you from major road rash in a normal down at normal road speeds, yep, seen it first hand. Pretty good deal for something that makes riding in the heat both comfortable and safer.

John

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Here's old Jack with the Mesh Jacket, Kevlar Jeans, and DOT helmet that saved my life last July..... even though we hit a deer, we slid on our left side for many, many yards, a long slide that I remember before the lights went out! Broken ribs, collapsed lung, concussion....but alive..... no significant road rash....

The Mesh Jacket (First Gear) and the kevlar pants had nota single ground through hole in them....not a tear.....the jacket did not melt, the armor worked......

If given a choice, I will be in a cordura armored jacket.... but in Lewiston, Idaho at 106 degrees farenheight, and on the highway between Price, Utah and Grand Junction, Colorado, at 105 degrees, the cordura is not an option. During times like those, I'll be in mesh, and not be worried about it at all...........

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,775 Posts
imported post

If you're in the market for a new jacket then might I recommend the Fieldsheer Moto-Morph. It is a truly 4-season jacket. Has a textile outer that zips over a mesh base jacket with a quilted liner for winter. Runs about $180, got one & love it.

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

lopeha wrote:
If you're in the market for a new jacket then might I recommend the Fieldsheer Moto-Morph. It is a truly 4-season jacket. Has a textile outer that zips over a mesh base jacket with a quilted liner for winter. Runs about $180, got one & love it.
Thanks, Lopeha..... I'll be ready soon; my current cordura, once black, is now a sun faded purple. I always thought a convertible would be the ticket. Sounds like Fieldsheer stepped up. Moto-Morph. It's on my list!

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
imported post

Jluvs2dive wrote:
thessler wrote:
Yes, he is. Ask any of the guys here that have slid down the pavement wearing a mesh jacket. They work. I personally watched my friend Greg, (NaturalyGW), slide down the freeway at 60 MPH in October, and his First Gear mesh jacket saved his hide and came out very well itself.
John
Johns right, my meshjacket saved my hide, no road rash, and did not melt. The armor did its job aswell. My first gear over pants were torn alittle but also saved me from road rash. The thin leather gloves I was wearing tore up and I lost a little skin. I had just changed out my armored mesh gloves. :X

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Cousin Jack wrote:
lopeha wrote:
Thanks, Lopeha..... I'll be ready soon; my current cordura, once black, is now a sun faded purple. I always thought a convertible would be the ticket. Sounds like Fieldsheer stepped up. Moto-Morph. It's on my list!
Well, after checking some of the Google links it looks like everyone has it on sale for $194.35. Now at Bike Bandit I can get another 10% off with my AMA membership.

http://www.bikebandit.com/product/9492

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Actually, a fellow could make up his own convertible and save a few bucks: first, a good quality mesh jacket for the base, and then a gore-tex shell for rain, or even frog togs -- and maybe another layer for abrasion resistance and warmth, something to wear over the mesh when it's cooler. Like a tough leather welding jacket.....$50.......

Hmmm....... Durn, threads like these always make me think!

·
Premium Member
618 Posts
imported post

I don't currently have any of this style riding gear. Is it cool in the heat?

DeDub

·
Premium Member
3,403 Posts
imported post

We love the mesh for the warmer weather, we've never had to test it like some, but it comes highly recommended.

We found that the rain liners were a bit clammy, so what we did last summer was wear the mesh, then if it got cool we put a fleece on underneath. If it rained we put our regular rain gear over the top, with or without the fleece as required. I rode like that down to close to freezing without a problem, although once the weather was staying cool I switched back to my regular Joe Rocket.

When it gets really hot wetting down the mesh helps for a few minutes.

Mesh is worth it.

·
Premium Member
133 Posts
imported post

NaturalyGW wrote:
... The thin leather gloves I was wearing tore up and I lost a little skin. I had just changed out my armored mesh gloves.  :X
Uh oh. I love my thin leather gloves but they are getting old. I was going to shop for replacements tomorrow at Javits. Should I try mesh rather than leather? Is mesh a step down in comfort?

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

DeDubya wrote:

DeDub
The air flow is good so they are cool when your moving. With an evaporative vest underneath, they're really cool.

John

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

DeDubya wrote:

DeDub
No !! I live in South Carolina, where we have 70 percent humidity with 100 degree temps. Some days last summer hit 107 degrees and not just a day or two but a whole three week stretch there it was over 100 degrees every day.

A nice convertible jacket and riding pants are nice. I have several and use the mesh outside in warm weather, the rain liner in the rain, and the thermal liner in colder weather, along with insulated under body shirts also at times.

As much as protection from road rash is the consideration of impact. Most riding jackets now have some type of armor in the jackets at key areas to help with the trauma of an impact with the road or a vehicle.

I like heavy perforated leather gloves too, I already know my first instinct when falling off is to stick my hands out.

But no the stuff is very hot even the mesh in the summer. I have tried all kinds of specialty vests under the mesh jackets in the summer, cool vests, even one called a phase change that has solid packets .........to me all useless and a great aggravation.

So although I know it is wrong, and could be a risk, in the summer when it is hot, my jacket ends up in the trunk. But from 75 degrees to about 90 degrees the mesh works very well.........as it climbs on up to 100, to me it is unbearable, and the cool vests simply create a humid wet rain forest effect inside the jacket. The main problem with the cool vests seems to be they are solid, and destroy the action of the mesh jacket, more thought is needed on the design of the cool vests. As now designed they stop all air flow to your body. And trap a humid layer of wet air next to you. If they would vent them, I think they would work much better.

Kit

·
Forum Diplomat
7,368 Posts
imported post

Probably doesn't work in South Carolina or Florida, but Red and I havea simple air-conditioning system....... we wear long-sleeve cotton under the mesh. When it gets to 100 plus, we stop somewhere and wet down the shirts, hopefully with that cool, cool water that comes out of machines......... Works for us, good for a two-hour stretch at least......

Sometimes we'll even wear Cordura above 90 degrees... open all the vents, loosen the collars, open up the wrists.... the air will generally flow through jacket and over the wet cotton..... air-conditioning! Gotta wear something! I think that helmets, good gear will even keep you cooler. People who live in hot desert climates don't run around bare-a**ed naked! They wear long white robes.... put something between them and the sun!

·
12,840 Posts

·
12,840 Posts
imported post

I suppose if you live in the sauna states, what Kit said would make sense, but for most of the US they work great. :)

John

·
Just one of the guys
4,799 Posts
imported post

In the conditions I have experienced the mesh jacket keeps me cooler than no jacket at all. There is enough material to keep the sun of me but enough airflow for cooling. I have never had to use it above 90 degrees yet.

I have no doubt about what kit says for over the 100 mark. At those tempuratures there isn't much of anything that will keep you cool unless you put a water sprinkler on the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,004 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
imported post

GeezerGlider:
As you see in our avatar several other members here have the Olympia airglides
in Neon yellow. Yes the color really stands out and on our trip to Rushmore last summer one motorist at a rest stop commented: "You folks rode out of Denver didnt you?" He had passed us several times going north on I25. That was about 250 miles north of Denver. YOU DO GET NOTICED.

This jacket really works well up to 95deg and zero/low humidity. Like Kit Carson said
high humidity with cooling vests dont work as well.

The liner works pretty well to the lower 40's but after that you have to start layering under the liner. Since we live in Texas we get a few days below 35 deg so I wear a Tourmaster Range Denim jacket for colder weather. When riding in over 95 deg heat we purchased some evaporative cooling vests worn under the jackets that worked very well. Anyway we spent almost eight hours in over 100 deg heat on our way south out of Kansas to Ft Worth.
David

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.