Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

If all goes according to plan this weekend, I mean to polish some of the non-chromed bits on my '84 GL1200A. That in itself is no big deal but I've heard that once the metal has been polished, a protective coating should be put on to maintain the integrity. Any suggestions / recommendations?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
imported post

Actually on my GL1100 it has a protective coating (varnish) that had to be stripped before I polished the aluminum.

Then resealed afterwards.

·
Premium Member
316 Posts
imported post

Don't use Carnuba wax like some people do, Carnuba is bad for aluminium (something about getting into the porous surface). A polymer type sealer is best and should significantly slow the oxidization of the metal. You can always just spray some clearcoat from a can if you want but it always ends up chipped from stones and from tyre levers when new tyre time arrives.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

Hello Keener !

On my asp 1200 I polished my frontfork and the wheelrims with paper corn 400/1000. To seal and avoid oxidizing again I spayed with an oil resistent cellulose varnish. That was what other had told me to do and it works. When I sold the bike 2 years later the alu still was nice and shiny. You can't keep it shiny if you don't seal the surfaces ! In Denmark we can get salt on the roads in end ofApril I hate it:?

PS. When removing the fabricators alu sealing stuff,-don't spend time with trying to do that with different cleaner types ! None of them works anyway ! Start with paper corn 400 and you will savemuch time. 2 forks and 2 wheels took me almost a weekend, but the result was good :D.

Best regards
Jan Jensen
Denmark

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

As a relative newcomer to the Wonderful World of Wings, I continue to be amazed by the amount of knowledge out there. I'm not sure people such as Steve Saunders and yourself fully appreciate how muchyourresponses help. As for the polishing, I'm going to put it off until the season is over. Right now, the weather is ideal for riding rather than working.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
imported post

Where you live the season is rather short. I used to live in Tumbler Ridge. I don't want to rub it in, but it sure is nice here where I ride my bike year round. I may get a little wet, but it still beats snow!

Tony

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

JDuggan wrote:
........ You can always just spray some clearcoat from a can if you want but it always ends up chipped from stones and from tyre levers when new tyre time arrives.
Rattlecan clear coat is useless if you live where it rains or they salt the roads. The salt and weather gets under the thin rattlecan coating and lifts it, making the aluminium go milky in appearance. Then you have to start over again...

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Dang, GW, you're really digging up some old ones today!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.