Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Surely someone knows something about this topic.
I am a happy owner of a Goldwing 1200 Interstate, built in the USA around 1987 and used in Seville, Spain. I have started to hear a clean metallic ritmic thump at low revs, between second and third gear. The sound seems to somewhat agree with revs, but not linearly.
In neutral, this sound is not heard, neither at idle nor when accelerating. Although the sound is clearly perceived, its intensity is low. It cannot be heard with first gear and above 2000-2500 rpm it stops being heard. I would appreciate information if anyone knows the possible cause.
Greetings,
Jose A.

·
Premium Member
6,631 Posts
Can you put the bike on centerstand and start the engine and spin the wheel with the engine? Is the noise there? If so take a screwdriver or stethoscope and listen around. I'm guessing drivetrain, u-joint etc. Listen all over and trace it down.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,581 Posts
It really kind of sounds like you are lugging the motor.

However, 12s can have rear wheel bearings fail. That can cause a clicking noise.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I use a wooden broom handle to listen to stuff, place one end against the part in question and place your ear on the broom handle. you will be surprised what you can hear. Then move around the motor while it is running. On the center stand you can put the bike in gear and listen to the drive train. Good Luck

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
I use a wooden broom handle to listen to stuff, place one end against the part in question and place your ear on the broom handle. you will be surprised what you can hear. Then move around the motor while it is running. On the center stand you can put the bike in gear and listen to the drive train. Good Luck
I have a long screwdriver that has been used for that more than for a screwdriver. A wooden dowel rod works very well too.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts