Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

My 90 Goldwing just started an intermittent grinding noise that you can feel and hear. Both my son and I thinks it coming from the rear. Fluids are full and up to spec. Bike has only 67,700 miles showing. I have read the articles on the growling noise of the alternator bearings and cant tell if its that or not. Any other clues or hints before I just start replacing parts???

Thank you all for the great website

Larry

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
imported post

replaced 3,000 miles ago, they look new.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum. Under what conditions does it grind? Does it grind under load AND while stopped?
Terry

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Happens in all gears and all speeds, doesnt do it stopped or on the centerstand.

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

just had same problem mine was wheel bearings:waving::action:

·
Premium Member
212 Posts
imported post

With the bike in neutral on the center stand, crank it up and put your hand on the alternator. Rev the engine a bit and if your hand vibrates off the alternator, you got alternator bearing problems.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
imported post

I would second wheel bearings, alt bearings would make noise anytime engine was running.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
imported post

My guess would also be wheel bearings. I recently had the 'strangest' sounds from the rear of my GL1500. At first itwas intermittent but later on was almost constant. This went on for several months gradually becoming more defined. It would not make the soundwith motor running on centerstand; only with bike rolling.Finally became a 'rumble' and I decided it was indeed wheel bearing. I took off the rear wheel and found that the left bearing was really shot.When I tried to drive the bearing out, the center race came outalong with the balls. I finally got the darned outer race out and replaced the bearing. I paid about$35.00 for bearing andseal from NAPA but they had both in stock and of courseneither of three Honda Dealers in my area hadeither? The strangest thing about the entire thing was that at first, it was more of a 'tinny' 'sheet metal' striking sound: didn't sound at all like a wheel bearing? Only later was it apparent that the noise was a wheel bearing. BTW: After I bought bearing and seal fromNAPA I received a catalog from JC Whitney and they have both rear and frontbearings for my GL1500 and they cost between $4.00 and $6.00 each. I would probably try them if I neededbearings again.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
imported post

I have to think wheel beearings as well. Since it's constant regardless of what gear the bike is in and how much load is on the bike. With the bike on the center stand, try to move the rear tire side to side by hand and check for side movement. You may also try rotating the tire by hand and if the bearing is bad enough you will feel roughness when rotating the tire and may even hear the noise. Good luck

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
imported post

You all nailed it, rear wheel bearing, almost to late, upon removal of rear wheel bearings were falling out. Great site, great bunch of wingers, local club tech guru wanted 200 to R n R.

Thanks again
(will be back in here on the rear wiring, what a mess, more scotchlocks then I could count)

Larry

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
imported post

Aquaman,

Just a couple of quick questions and understand I only have experience with the 1000. Are there splines between the wheel and the final drive? Did you clean and then lube splines with moly 60 paste? Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
imported post

i hope you did it yourself, as terry208 said clean and lube the splines w/ moly 60 paste. glad to hear:action::waving:

·
Premium Member
389 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
imported post

Terry,
yes on the splines and yes to cleaning and relubing. I really dont want to reassemble with all the scotchlocks in the wiring, it explains the intermittent lighting problems on the bags and such. Anyone got a complete SE rear wiring harness that does all the lights on the trunk, bags, brakes, turn and such?

thanks again,
larry
(at 5'17", 275 I look like a real goof on my sons 81 CM400A)

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
imported post

AQUAMAN wrote:
at 5'17", 275 I look like a real goof on my sons 81 CM400A)
Never thought of it like that, I am 3'34":cheeky1::cheeky1:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.