Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I know everyone has a tire that they like best. I need to know what you know about this one METZELER ME880 130/70B-18 FRONT ?

Thanks

David

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

I had the Metz 880 on my VTX and really liked it. Good wet performance, decent mileage and good handling. Better than the stock Dunlops by far.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I agree with SailorKane. The only negative is the cupping that develops. Metzler admits that this is something that will happen with their tire on these big bikes. They do have pressure reccomendations on their site. You would better off with the Michelins on the 1500 as they do not cup and handle the same if you can find them. Production rumors are not good for the Michelins.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I had Michelins and they were great but didn't last long around 12000 miles they were worn out. I changed them out around 13000 but the bike had gotten the shakes real bad.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

I use them, front and rear. I never liked the dunlop e-3's but I do like the Metzler 880's. I am a very agressive rider, and haven't yet had a problem.

However, they do not last as long. It's a trade off. I trust them more, but I know they won't give me as many miles.

There is one design flaw to watch out for. There is a line around the tire on the sidewall where the rubber coming down from the tread overlaps the rubber coming up from the bead. At least thats what it looks like to me. It follows all the way around where a white wall would be. It's not a perfectly straight line. Sometimes its perfectly smooth and you can't feel it or anything, like the one in this picture. Sometimes it looks like a hair line crack. But's it's there on everyMetzler tire I have ever looked at. So it looks to me like it is just the method that they use to manfacture the tire.

I have heard that there are cases where the rubber started to peel here. I've never had a problem. I don't know anyone that it ever happened to.And I never talked to anyone that it's happened to. But I heard about it once on one of these forums. I looked at my tires, and at the time I had one that looked like a hairline split,it was about the width anddepth of a few hairs but it didn't look like it was peeling. So I watched it and it never changed. (I don't have that tire any more or I would have posted a picture of that one for comparison)

I currently have two front Metzlers in my garage, one on the bike, and one on my spare wheel. Both of these are perfectly smooth.

So I watch it, and look at it when I check my tires. I have never noticed a change in my tires in this regard.

I have had a very bad experience with a Dunlop E-3 and haven't had a bad experience with the Metzler, so I continue to place my trust in the Metzler over the Dunlop.

Since I switched to Metzlers, I have been satisfied, so I haven't tried anything else yet.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I replaced Dunlops that were on my 1500 when I bought it a decade ago with ME880s and never went back. They usually last about 19,000 miles for me, but some folks have told me I ride like a nun.

I have read on another forum of stories about separations/failures, but like said above, I don't know anyone who has had a problem with them.

I had an Avon on the rear of the bike once - replacement while on the road for a flat. It was the only tire that ever spun on wet pavement for me (well after scrub-in,) so I removed it for an 880.

Jack

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
imported post

If you get the Metz, be sure and follow Metz's pressure recommendations for pressure, which is probably going to be higher than Honda's. That will help prevent cupping and help it last longer. I used 38/40 solo and 40/42 2-up on my VTX.

·
Premium Member
1,572 Posts
imported post

I had them on my 1200 and I have the front on my 1800. They stick to the road great and they ride smooth. I agree that they won't last quite as long, but the extra traction is worth it. I also agree to keep the pressure up to combat cupping.

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

I've been using metzs for over 20 yrs front and back had issues with 1 set back 15yrs or so and it turned out metzs had a bad lot of tires and they made good on it and got 1 for free. I get 3 rears for every front usaually 25k or so and I love them. I'd say 80k of the 119k miles have been on metzs.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
imported post

Thanks for all the comments I will give them a try. I have Avons on now and have hated the front tire from day one.

·
Premium Member
67,740 Posts
imported post

Cotton

What was it about the Avon's you didn't like ??

I'm assuming you had the Venoms..

·
Premium Member
186 Posts
imported post

Ihave run on Dunlops for the last 8 years. The K177s gave me 15,000 on the back and 12,000 on the front. Now we can't get them in theUK any more as they have been replaced byElite 3s.

So I am now running on Metzler ME880s which I findare fantastic on grip handling and quietness. They do run on a higher pressure being 42 back and 40 front but the difference is so noticablybetter.

Just one otherpointI think worth making is when having both wheels off for the tyre change it is a good time to change all the brake pads. I know its a bit more money but you do get a great sense of satisfaction knowing everything down there has been checked and replaced and is in good working order. You almost feel your bike has got a new lease of life.

I fitted Sintered pads all round instead of Hondaand have found them to be far Superior to the Honda ones. NowI feelconfident that I have brakes that will stop me quickly and safely when needed.

Hope this helps with your decision making.

Keith Davidson

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
imported post

The Avon Venoms I have on the front tire feels like it is going to start the shakes on low speed turns. And when slowing down you better keep both hands on bars. I went over a RR track about 45 and the bike all most went down.I Had it rebalance and have checked the head bearing put on a super brace change oil in shocks nothing has helped. The tire has worn real bad I put it on before going on a 4500 mile trip now it has about 7000 miles on it and it has to go it is just a bad tire. The rear is ok no problem with it it is wearing good.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.