Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Senior Mem & Story Teller
3,498 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did my normal daily duty of fixing lunch. I had 3/4 of a can of green chili in the fridge along with a half can of dark red kidney beans and some diced onions. I put them in a pan to heat and went back to the fridge to get a piece of beef that had been left over from Sunday. It was not there. The boss had put it in the freezer to save for some future meal.

So back to the cabinet to look for something to make out of what I already had going. Found a can of mackerel and since we both like it I put it in the mixture. It was a little dry so I grabbed a can of enchilada sauce and poured enough on the mixture to make it a thick wet mixture.

We ate it spooned over toast and it was really good. Mexican Style Fish Chili on a shingle. This will have to be a future repeat.

SOS, my mother used to make it the army way. I do a version today using those packets of pressed beef and rip the beef (?) apart. Add it to a can of mushroom soup that I only add enough milk to make it a semi thick creamy sauce. Heat and serve it over toast. Makes pretty good SOS. Also a really quick fix meal.

:)

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
SOS, my mother used to make it the army way. I do a version today using those packets of pressed beef and rip the beef (?) apart. Add it to a can of mushroom soup that I only add enough milk to make it a semi thick creamy sauce. Heat and serve it over toast. Makes pretty good SOS. Also a really quick fix meal.

:)

My brother Skip really liked SOS at mealtime, and when he was in charge of dinner it was a good chance that was what would be on the menu. At that time we were not allowed to use the 's' word at home, so in our family this culinary delight became known as "Skip Slop"

·
Registered
26 Posts
SOS was my favorite at mealtime in the military. Sure wish I had a good recipe these days.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,231 Posts
God did I hate that meal as a kid! My mom did a white sauce and used the dried beef that came sliced in the little 4oz or whatever sized drinking glass. It was ok, until she added a can of green peas.
Yours sounds interesting though.

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Sounds a whole lot better than what my fishing buddy served me one day. He invited me over for a breakfast of biscuits and gravy. I love B&G so I went over. First bite was a little disheartening as instead of sausage he used bits of perch he had caught in our local cove. I'm talking Sunfish not Crappie. So as to not hurt his feelings I ate my plateful and never ate at his house again. Don't get me wrong, I love B&G and I love perch, but not together in the same mix. BTW, I also grew up on SOS and may just have that for lunch today since we celebrated Christmas Tuesday.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.