Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, you can imagine my surprise when I went deep to do some maintenance and one of the chores was to replace the air filter because I could not remember the last time I had done it.

I have no idea how my bike started instantly after 6 months storage, not to mention run like a champ other than running a little rich. I always knew my wing was a good bike, but this is unreal !! It should not have run at all. I will be more "dutifull" from here on in, I promise. :praying:

:bow::bow::bow:: cheers:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I don't have a picture of it here, but I did have some food in my air filter, and I took some heavy duty screen material and made a wire mesh cover for the air intake that will keep the critters out of the air box.

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
I changed mine this year and found it about half full of acorns. I guess if I were a mouse it would make a good home.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
You were lucky. Mice, and other rodents such as squirrels love to eat wiring. I had a 1999 Chevy Silverado that some squirrels decided to build a nest in. They chewed up the wiring harness in the engine compartment. Took me the better part of a weekend to fix it. I found the nest in front of the radiator. It was about the size of a shoebox.(the kind boots come in) It was pretty dusty in the engine compartment, and I could see all kinds of little paw prints...

Come to think of it, when I was camping in Arizona, just south of Wickenburg, one of my neighbouring campers had that happen to his brand new F-150. It cost him over $650.00 to have the Ford dealer fix it. Apparently they chewed off the wire to the temperature sensor which was located under the intake manifold, and as a result the fan to the radiator was running constantly and the truck thought it was overheating.....

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Mice, mice baby!

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
This is Freaking me out.. Wow never heard of this Phenomona...A first for everything..Moral of the story is never.. I mean never let a Wing sit Idle for a long time ..they want to run..

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
I lost a tent trailer to squirrels once...ate most of the canvas...thank goodness for replacement cost insurance!

Rodents ate up some of the engine hood insulation in my Passat wagon for a nest under the engine manifold runner cover....luckily they didn't eat any of the gazillion wires in there....German cars are electrically bizarre enough without that.

And yes, gl1100 air boxes make great acorn storage facilities...check regularly!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,628 Posts
Reminds me it is time to put a more poison for them critters in my shop...

·
650 Posts
just wondering when i should check or replace the air filter, i have a 2012 with 11000 on it i store it in the bike trailer during the winter never seen any mice and have poison in the trailer all the time. thanks

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I've got a fairly efficient patroller who makes sure there are no rodents in the house or garage or around the yard. It would be even better if he didn't bring in the dead ones to show he's on the job.

·
Premium Member
266 Posts
I've got a fairly efficient patroller who makes sure there are no rodents in the house or garage or around the yard. It would be even better if he didn't bring in the dead ones to show he's on the job.
:ROFL::ROFL:

That reminds me of a cat I had when I was in college. Only this cat liked to catch birds. I lived in a basement apartment with 2 roommates. We always left a window open, and the cat pretty much came and went as she pleased. One night we had a party, and one of our good friends had a few too many and passed out on the couch. Miss Kitty caught a bird that night. She brought it home, jumped up on Marks chest while he was sleeping it off, and pretty much shredded the bird right there. The next morning Mark wakes up, spitting and sputtering with feathers everywhere. The first words out of his mouth were "What the @&#! ?"...... My roommate just looked at him and said " Man, we tried to stop you...."

That was a great cat!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.