Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just got my GL1000 running.And pretty good i might add, but when istarted it today for the first time in 8 years--- at least i got it to stay running--bad kill switch---bypassed for now---mice nests came blowing out the exhaust.Should i worry or just run it out. Bike sounds pretty good.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I rebuilt carbs and put new KN filter so i know thats clean. But there was alot of mud dobber nests in filter compartment,and everywhere else.

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

Stop by the DQ and get some mustard, and a little bread and take it with you on a ride. About 300 miles should have those little rodents well done. You will not even need to buy lunch, just pop them on the bread and a little mustard and you will be ready for another few miles. :D Kit

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Guess that means i wont go hungry. Been a while since i had rodent. Hopefully the smell wont kill me. So i shouldnt worry about it then.

·
Premium Member
1,624 Posts
imported post

I would do a visual inspection of the wires, brake hoses and fuel line. If all looks good,--hammerdown and take no prisoners.:waving:

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Alrighty then, I'll go start it again and let it run awhile then change oil and filter.

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
imported post

I Just wonder how much time & money invested, after 8 yrs? Good job, the rest is down hill now, just few loose end, your new bike for the new year.:1000red:Lee

·
Premium Member
542 Posts
imported post

The little critter filled my pipes full of sunflower seed and when i started it and reved it up it was like a machine gun, sunflower seed all over ths garage floor. Another time they filled my air box with gravey train and I don't eveny have a dog. Turned out to be my naighbors gravey train. They did chew up some wires , so I'd pull the tank shell and inspect the electronics

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
imported post

Please make sure you check ALL of the brakes before you take it out on the road even for a short ride, they can seize up while riding,been there done that!

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
imported post

Remember brakes can seize off and on. I had a bike, a 750, that had been left in a garage for 2 years, got it running, evrrything looked good so I took it on a little test ride. About a mile from home I hit the brakes to turn around and the front ones wouldn't let go. That was one VERY long walk pushing it back home with the front brakes on.

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

The bike was in pretty bad shape when i got it. I rebuilt brake calipers and new brake lines - pulled fuel tank for a cleaning it was nasty - new wheel bearings - new timing belts - some new electrical parts - tires - all new engine gaskets - bike runs but a little rough- carbs need synched- and handle bars are loose 1 bolt is broken off so i will have to reverse it out and hopefully not the other 3 and who knows what else. It's been a lot of work so far!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

airman wrote:
It's been a lot of work so far!
Yes it's a lot of work but gives a lot of satisfaction when she's running like new. Keep on plugging and you'll end up with a bike to be proud of.

Specially when your old timer eats up a couple Harleys just for the heck of it.:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

I can't believe you would think we would harm a wing :D

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
imported post

Blow them suckers out with an air hose then look elsewhere for 'em. They seem to find the strangest places to roost.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.