Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read on the forum about mice problem during winter storage of Wings. I ride all winter here in Texas. My travel trailer is parked for several months. Mice have caused damage to wiring and other items. On my last trip to Lost Maples Park. Another visitor said he used peppermint oil on cotton balls. Placed them around areas they might cause a problem. Had good luck last year but time will tell. Orange oil when I take the lid off almost burns my nose. I think I'll try that in my shop to see if that works. Hope the neighbors don't turn me in for cooking meth.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
last year, I used "Irish Spring" soap bars and shaved them up and sprinkled them around, in, on the bike.
and in the RV I put them every where, so far, no problems.
I also throw Moth Balls under the bike

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
557 Posts
I've seen videos of mice eating Irish Spring, but maybe that's a regional delicacy for them, LOL. Like poutine. :sick:

Cab Fresh is a very strong scented peppermint tea bag you can put in your car or bike or under your ATV seat if the mice chew the wires under there @#[email protected]%!. Always worked for me if I kept it fresh. Sounds like peppermint oil would be a lot cheaper though.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
I've seen videos of mice eating Irish Spring, but maybe that's a regional delicacy for them, LOL. Like poutine. :sick:

Cab Fresh is a very strong scented peppermint tea bag you can put in your car or bike or under your ATV seat if the mice chew the wires under there @#[email protected]%!. Always worked for me if I kept it fresh. Sounds like peppermint oil would be a lot cheaper though.
I found that a lid from a jar placed on the seat under the cover with antifreeze in it seems to work.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
I found that a lid from a jar placed on the seat under the cover with antifreeze in it seems to work.
That would bother me a bit, I am so damn clumsy, I would bump that lid, and have Antifreeze all over the plastics.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
I have read on the forum about mice problem during winter storage of Wings. I ride all winter here in Texas. My travel trailer is parked for several months. Mice have caused damage to wiring and other items. On my last trip to Lost Maples Park. Another visitor said he used peppermint oil on cotton balls. Placed them around areas they might cause a problem. Had good luck last year but time will tell. Orange oil when I take the lid off almost burns my nose. I think I'll try that in my shop to see if that works. Hope the neighbors don't turn me in for cooking meth.
Dryer sheets seem to help too

·
Registered
1 Posts
Here are a couple of ideas:

We found a clever solution in a TSB from Honda: rodent-deterrent tape, essentially an electrical tape treated with super-spicy capsaicin, which Honda describes as “the stuff that puts the fire in a bowl of five-alarm chili.” The tape (part number 4019-2317) is available through dealers for about $36 for a 20-meter roll, about 22 yards. You'll also find it online.

·
Registered
14 Posts
OK, this trick should work, and only cost you about .50 cents a month. Wrap a string of White LED Lights on the underside of the motorcycle. It doesn't take much, they just don't like light. I was having mice/rat problems under my Class A (as it's skirted) did the traps, sprays, soaps, etc. no luck. Put a string of 29 outside patio lights I got at Costco (Walmart also sells them) along the entire underside about 3 years ago and hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, have not had a problem since.

If you've got a battery maintainer on the bike, you can even use 12 volt LED's. I just leave a 110 volt LED bulb on directly over the Wing, and have not had any problems.

So like Tom Bodette (Motel 6) says, We'll leave the lights on for you. Cheap Insurance!

Happy New Year! Alan

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,205 Posts
OK, this trick should work, and only cost you about .50 cents a month. Wrap a string of White LED Lights on the underside of the motorcycle. It doesn't take much, they just don't like light. I was having mice/rat problems under my Class A (as it's skirted) did the traps, sprays, soaps, etc. no luck. Put a string of 29 outside patio lights I got at Costco (Walmart also sells them) along the entire underside about 3 years ago and hopefully I'm not jinxing myself, have not had a problem since.

If you've got a battery maintainer on the bike, you can even use 12 volt LED's. I just leave a 110 volt LED bulb on directly over the Wing, and have not had any problems.

So like Tom Bodette (Motel 6) says, We'll leave the lights on for you. Cheap Insurance!

Happy New Year! Alan
Now that is a damn good idea!!!!

I have several of the LED shop lights that I am going to connect to my Garage Door Opener..... so that I can see in the shop.
Using one of those under the bike, would be super cheap insurance.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
I didn't have problems with mice but the chipmunk filled up my air cleaners with sunflower seeds. did the same thing to my car.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts