Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Looking for new tires for my '94 SE, currently running Elite 3's, wondering if anyone has tried the Pilots. How is the wear, handling, noise, etc? Any feedback would be appreciated.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Can't beat them.

They will talk to you straight up over 70 mph until they get worn down some.
Any tire that has tread grooves that cross the contact patch will do that though.
Just he nature of physics.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
imported post

Hey there,

I just took a set off and I loved them. Front had 11,000 before it had major tread separation and started to bubble in 4-5 places as we were coming into St. George Utah. Not sure what caused the tire to break down but up until that point, it was a great tire. Rear lasted until 13000 and was just about slick but overall, a great tire.

Sticky in the turns, even in wet. Didn't follow or get squirly with tar snakes and they paid no attention to the freeway rain grooves.

Other than a bit of noise that started around 7000, they were great.

Toy4Rick

PS, My brother has a set on now and loves them.

·
Premium Member
93 Honda Aspencade, 112,000 + miles
162 Posts
imported post

About 500 miles on them now and the noise straight up is about the same as the EIII in a turn.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Eagledriver wrote:
About 500 miles on them now and the noise straight up is about the same as the EIII in a turn.
That settles down for the second half life. All that rubber is just a bit flappy in the beginning. I treat it like I have a turbine running under there since it feels like it too. :action:

·
Premium Member
345 Posts
imported post

Just installed a set of Pilot Gts on my 1500 after talking with Rudy this past winter and I must say they made a noticeable improvement in the way the bike feels. There is a better grip in the curves and in the rain. I had Elite's on the bike and they were starting to get a bit squirrely in tight corners. Felt like I could feel the bike scooting on the rear tire. With the Pilot Gt's it's planted firm in the corner and makes riding a curvy road much more enjoyable.

I believe you'll like them if you try them.

·
Premium Member
2008 Goldwing 1800
1,095 Posts
imported post

I have about 3000 on mine. I love em.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

I have just replaced the Elite 3's and installed a set of Pilot GT's on my 96 1500, the ride is very smooth, make noise but ride smooth, I used Dyna beads in the front and lead weights on back (Lost beads on back because tire would not air up at first). There is only one dealer I found that would guarantee current manufacturing dated tires. I think I contacted every supplier on the internet and this is the only one that guranteed manufacturing date in writing.
William Pfeiffer
General Manager
1 888 628-4737
(937) 275-8000
Fax (937) 276-4070

I first ordered tires from Ride Direct, I got one newly manufactured (six months of age) got one new old/stock (4 years of age). I was told at time the tires ordered they were made within the last six months, this was not true, I contacted them about the dates and was told "tires are new, they are not old tires and they are good for about ten years after manufacturing"

·
751 Posts
imported post

Sorry all this is my opinion & I have 2 say the elite 3`s are the worst tires I have ever owned but The 1 inthe front cupped after 2,500 miles Dunlop replaced it free now both tires have about 7,500 miles & the back is so bad that it looks like it has paddles the front 1 also has some waving going on ! I do check the air in the tires every morning & sometimes at needing fuel I had my shocks checked & were ok maybe swinarm bushings oh 43-45 lbs in rear 42 lbs in front ! I just don`t know anymore ?

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Wishiewashie wrote:
No more Dunlop's for me either, I run 41 psi in the front and 36 psi in the rear, never had any problems thus far.
You need to run those Michies at 41/41 if you want any life out of them.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

On the subject of "fresh" dated tires...
I burn off at least one set every year. Minimum. I am not deterred in the least by tires up to 4 years stored before used as long as the rubber surface is fresh, not dried and not cracked.
A 5 year full use life cycle is not unacceptable to me.
There is a lot more tire rubber there than that on the rubber stems.
I'd say, pay more attention to your stems and within reason, just mount and ride the tires unless they are a brand and model known for tread bottom and sidewall cracking.
In that case, go with a better brand anyway.

Some of us are driving the dealers nuts with this.
IMO of course.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
imported post

After putting 2 sets now on my bike,I WILL NOT ever go back to anything else. FANTASTIC tire.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

I appreciate your advice, this is my second set of Michelins Pilot GT's, the first got good life at 41 and 36 psi, I will increase the rear to 41 and hope for longevity with both the front and rear.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
imported post

Hey guy's check your owners manual, 33 front, 41 rear.
Maybe that's why you have wear problems with the tires.
Having the correct PSI will also improve handling.

·
751 Posts
imported post

Im glad Im not the only 1 who is dissatified with the Dunlops & I know you shouldn`t put radials on a 1500 but anything that would help cause shinko makes radials for the 1500 I have herd that Dunlop also makes a dunlop3 radial for the 1500 I won`t believeit until I sQQ It !

·
751 Posts
imported post

Busdriver My info comes direct from Dunlop not a machnic & I do know what the manual sais !

·
751 Posts
imported post

So does any1 have any expireance with a radial on a 1500 even though your not supposed to ?

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
imported post

I had a bad experience several years ago with a new/old stock rear tire on a Norton 650, the tire was a shelf tire for four years, it had no sign of flaws when put on the bike. I was traveling I-10 in Mobile Al, @ 70 mph the day after installing and the tire separated. God was with me on that day in particular, I had a wife and two small boys to support, he let me continue with their support. I now have a phobia about tires especially when there is only two under me, the cost nothing extra for a newly manufactured one (peace of mind).

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.