Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For my ride to Nassir, I will be coming through Chicago & I have a choice of crossing into Canada @ Detroit or Port Huron. It is only an extra 15 miles by way of Port Huron so this difference is no big deal.
If I go through Detroit, It is a simple route of I94 From the In. Mi. state line. It I went through Port Huron, I would take I69 up & around Lansing.

My question is how is the road construction for either route?:?
In the past, I have driven a Semi in & around Chicago and Detroit so the traffic does not intimidate me.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Hi Carl,
I was in Michigan a few weeks ago. I went to Flint area to see my mom. I-69 has construction from I-75 in Flint to the east. Not sure how many miles the construction is but there is some construction going on. Between Chicago and Flint I hit very little construction.

Personally growing up in Michigan I would avoid the route thru Detroit but thats just me. It's a little more scenic taking 69 across if your staying on the slab.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
There are two smaller border crossings, one at Marine City/Sombra, and other further south at Algonac/Walpole Island, both are ferrys.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the update Don. I'm going to go by way of I69 & meet member Halfling along the way.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are two smaller border crossings, one at Marine City/Sombra, and other further south at Algonac/Walpole Island, both are ferrys.
Thanks for this tip, I might take this ferry on the way back. My nephews mother live in St Clair which is just North of this crossing.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Any idea how far you plan to travel before bedding down for the night? Are you going all the way to NASSIR or spending the night along the way? I might be able to make some suggestions of camping along the way.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Don, I sure hope your medical situation turns out Okay.
As far as heading to Nassir, I was planning on doing it all in one day. But I have since had a couple of PM's with Halfling, & arranged to meet him at a Rest Area just East of Grand Rapids next Monday morning. I found a campground just North of Hastings, Mi. This campground is about 16 miles from the Rest Area. By doing this in two days, The campground is just past half way.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
Funny you should mention Hastings Michigan. I jut rode thru there on Saturday when I went up to my moms. May I suggest you run M-21 across to Flint then pick up I-69 to Port Huron. I just went to Flint and back using that route and it is clear route with little to moderate traffic. Better than dealing with traffic going around Lansing.

Just courious. How did you guys land on meeting east of Grand Rapids? I would think you guys would have linked up around Coldwater or Battle Creek. Isn't Halfwing coming from TN?

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
John (Halfling) is staying with friend Sunday night in Caledonia,Mi. That's not far form the Rest area. I just looked at your route, It is the same distance either way. 285 Miles to Simcoe.

·
Premium Member
397 Posts
Just so Y'all know,... Michigan has two seasons, "winter and construction".

I'm the guy Halfling and his bride stayed with while they visited Michigan. This past Monday, we went to the beach at Saugatuck and had ice cream after we got our feet wet at Oval Beach. Halfling's bride got her feet wet all the way to her neck. It was warm enough that by the time we got home to Caledonia, she was almost dry.
A good time was had by all.

Next year I plan on going to my first NASSIR event.
thecruiser

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.